Funniest thing you've heard about the job searching process?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: Funniest thing you've heard about the job searching process?

Postby brotherdarkness » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:07 pm

.
Last edited by brotherdarkness on Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7305
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Funniest thing you've heard about the job searching process?

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:18 am

Yeah the WSJ article just said that, of those who got biglaw SAs, offer rates were up. What fucking use is that to the vast majority of law students who don't get biglaw? And they acted as though that single stat was proof positive that the industry was improving. Who paid them off? Fucking law school.

ATR
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: Funniest thing you've heard about the job searching process?

Postby ATR » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:54 am

I used Resume Launchpad to mass mail last year and got my SA as a result. My CSO hadn't heard of it. In 2012. Not as funny as it's sad, I guess.

hiima3L
Posts: 837
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:26 pm

Re: Funniest thing you've heard about the job searching process?

Postby hiima3L » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:06 am

ATR wrote:I used Resume Launchpad to mass mail last year and got my SA as a result. My CSO hadn't heard of it. In 2012. Not as funny as it's sad, I guess.


I have a feeling some CSOs won't promote it because it makes them even more useless. Damn Resume Launchpad for making CSOs' heavy burden of making lists of potential employers irrelevant.

kykiske
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:12 pm

Re: Funniest thing you've heard about the job searching process?

Postby kykiske » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:29 am

Has anyone ever heard of students being able to write official evaluations--similar to professor evaluations--of their CSO counselors?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Funniest thing you've heard about the job searching process?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:42 pm

hiima3L wrote:
ATR wrote:I used Resume Launchpad to mass mail last year and got my SA as a result. My CSO hadn't heard of it. In 2012. Not as funny as it's sad, I guess.


I have a feeling some CSOs won't promote it because it makes them even more useless. Damn Resume Launchpad for making CSOs' heavy burden of making lists of potential employers irrelevant.


I looked at Resume Launchpad, but found it had a significant amount of outdated information for Austin (firms that have been out of business for 4+ years; firms that merged several years ago; etc.) and included a number of firms whose only presence in Austin was one or two attorneys. It was useful as yet another list of midsize firms against which to check the list I'd been building otherwise, but given the outdated information I decided against using it to actually send apps out in case they were going to the wrong person or someone no longer there.

hiima3L
Posts: 837
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:26 pm

Re: Funniest thing you've heard about the job searching process?

Postby hiima3L » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
hiima3L wrote:
ATR wrote:I used Resume Launchpad to mass mail last year and got my SA as a result. My CSO hadn't heard of it. In 2012. Not as funny as it's sad, I guess.


I have a feeling some CSOs won't promote it because it makes them even more useless. Damn Resume Launchpad for making CSOs' heavy burden of making lists of potential employers irrelevant.


I looked at Resume Launchpad, but found it had a significant amount of outdated information for Austin (firms that have been out of business for 4+ years; firms that merged several years ago; etc.) and included a number of firms whose only presence in Austin was one or two attorneys. It was useful as yet another list of midsize firms against which to check the list I'd been building otherwise, but given the outdated information I decided against using it to actually send apps out in case they were going to the wrong person or someone no longer there.


That's a good point. I haven't looked at RL much, but after a quick search of SF, it does have a noticeable amount of outdated info.

User avatar
BlueLotus
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: Funniest thing you've heard about the job searching process?

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:17 pm

ATR wrote:I used Resume Launchpad to mass mail last year and got my SA as a result. My CSO hadn't heard of it. In 2012. Not as funny as it's sad, I guess.


My CSO discourages "mass mailing" altogether. :?

I mean, I guess that's good advice for public interest cover letters, which have to be carefully tailored to show "demonstrated commitment" to each organization/agency's mission), but TLS experience seems to suggest that it's a good strategy for firms.

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Funniest thing you've heard about the job searching process?

Postby guano » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:45 pm

BlueLotus wrote:
ATR wrote:I used Resume Launchpad to mass mail last year and got my SA as a result. My CSO hadn't heard of it. In 2012. Not as funny as it's sad, I guess.


My CSO discourages "mass mailing" altogether. :?

I mean, I guess that's good advice for public interest cover letters, which have to be carefully tailored to show "demonstrated commitment" to each organization/agency's mission), but TLS experience seems to suggest that it's a good strategy for firms.

The real trick to massmailing is to make it look like every email is tailored to the recipient

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7305
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Funniest thing you've heard about the job searching process?

Postby Danger Zone » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:58 pm

The real trick is to get hundreds of them out the door as fast as possible.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Funniest thing you've heard about the job searching process?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:32 pm

Not job search related, but its appropriate here.

At my T2 during 1L year, a professor told our class that the top 25% of our class is better than the bottom 25% of Stanford. :roll:
Note that only top 15% at my school typically get jobs through OCI.

User avatar
androstan
Posts: 2568
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Funniest thing you've heard about the job searching process?

Postby androstan » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Not job search related, but its appropriate here.

At my T2 during 1L year, a professor told our class that the top 25% of our class is better than the bottom 25% of Stanford. :roll:
Note that only top 15% at my school typically get jobs through OCI.

Look to your left. Look to your right. Look behind you. One of you will be fortunate enough to out compete the other three in the ls rat race and thus will be perceived as marginally better than the worst students at Stanford. For the other three of you there is little hope.

So buck up, flock.

kykiske
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:12 pm

Re: Funniest thing you've heard about the job searching process?

Postby kykiske » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:11 pm

I was out at a bar this past weekend and unfortunately ran in to a group of 3Ls and a separate group of 1Ls.

The group of 1Ls had among them 3 very attractive girls. Two guys from 3L group approached the girls under the guise of "career advice." And I think within 2 seconds of meeting them, both of them dropped the biglaw firm they summered at, and talked about how much money they made.

These guys, to be frank, lack any game. They're super awkward, and not very handsome. Maybe dropping the firm name is their way of picking up law school students.

Though for this situation, the 1L girls were not very interested. They both wanted to pursue careers in public interest, so any talk of law firms bored them.

gogamecocks
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Funniest thing you've heard about the job searching process?

Postby gogamecocks » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:36 am

"keep trying, you'll find something"

hiima3L
Posts: 837
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:26 pm

Re: Funniest thing you've heard about the job searching process?

Postby hiima3L » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:48 am

gogamecocks wrote:"keep trying, you'll find something"


I don't know why OCS isn't just a sign that says that. It is all they can really do for the vast majority of students at the vast majority of schools. At my school, if you weren't in the top 10-15%, you weren't getting an OCI job, clerkship, or almost anything else through traditional job postings. The rest of us were essentially in the same boat. OCS was useless because, really, they can't do anything to help people get jobs. It's entirely up to you to get out there and convince someone to hire you.

gogamecocks
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Funniest thing you've heard about the job searching process?

Postby gogamecocks » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:37 pm

hiima3L wrote:
gogamecocks wrote:"keep trying, you'll find something"


I don't know why OCS isn't just a sign that says that. It is all they can really do for the vast majority of students at the vast majority of schools. At my school, if you weren't in the top 10-15%, you weren't getting an OCI job, clerkship, or almost anything else through traditional job postings. The rest of us were essentially in the same boat. OCS was useless because, really, they can't do anything to help people get jobs. It's entirely up to you to get out there and convince someone to hire you.


I honestly do not know why the Career Services Office hasn't just been replaced by a bulletin board.

hiima3L
Posts: 837
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:26 pm

Re: Funniest thing you've heard about the job searching process?

Postby hiima3L » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:30 pm

gogamecocks wrote:
hiima3L wrote:
gogamecocks wrote:"keep trying, you'll find something"


I don't know why OCS isn't just a sign that says that. It is all they can really do for the vast majority of students at the vast majority of schools. At my school, if you weren't in the top 10-15%, you weren't getting an OCI job, clerkship, or almost anything else through traditional job postings. The rest of us were essentially in the same boat. OCS was useless because, really, they can't do anything to help people get jobs. It's entirely up to you to get out there and convince someone to hire you.


I honestly do not know why the Career Services Office hasn't just been replaced by a bulletin board.


Their resume and CL editing skills are invaluable!

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5691
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Funniest thing you've heard about the job searching process?

Postby BVest » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:10 pm

hiima3L wrote:Their resume and CL editing skills are invaluable!


Indeed, like the time they told me to remove the most interesting thing on my resume because "it was too long ago." It's the first thing mentioned by any interviewer who knows any history about the area I'm from (which is about 2/3).

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Funniest thing you've heard about the job searching process?

Postby Micdiddy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:14 pm

Generally the people at my law school have a good head on their shoulders. But, I do remember a really early panel discussion like first couple weeks of law school. The panel was 2L and 3L's giving advice to 1L's and the question of grades came up. One of the panelist literally said things like "Do not worry about grades. Everyone will get a job." Literally all the 1L TLSers in the the room started looking around at each other like :roll:

User avatar
yomisterd
Posts: 1556
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:52 pm

Re: Funniest thing you've heard about the job searching process?

Postby yomisterd » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:28 pm

Has any school done a study of OCS where one group took and used every piece of advice given by OCS, one group did everything on their own, and another group did a little of both? I feel like if I was a Dean, I would want to know if those salaries I am paying are actually leading to positive outcomes for my students.

User avatar
El Pollito
party fowl
Posts: 17890
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Funniest thing you've heard about the job searching process?

Postby El Pollito » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:29 pm

yomisterd wrote:Has any school done a study of OCS where one group took and used every piece of advice given by OCS, one group did everything on their own, and another group did a little of both? I feel like if I was a Dean, I would want to know if those salaries I am paying are actually leading to positive outcomes for my students.

Scrutinizing the salaries of worthless boomers is a slippery slope for deans.

smallfirmassociate
Posts: 386
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:47 pm

Re: Funniest thing you've heard about the job searching process?

Postby smallfirmassociate » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:55 am

yomisterd wrote:Has any school done a study of OCS where one group took and used every piece of advice given by OCS, one group did everything on their own, and another group did a little of both? I feel like if I was a Dean, I would want to know if those salaries I am paying are actually leading to positive outcomes for my students.


The salaries aren't paid to produce positive outcomes for students. The salaries are paid to maintain a recruiting tool.

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7665
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: Funniest thing you've heard about the job searching process?

Postby worldtraveler » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:13 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Generally the people at my law school have a good head on their shoulders. But, I do remember a really early panel discussion like first couple weeks of law school. The panel was 2L and 3L's giving advice to 1L's and the question of grades came up. One of the panelist literally said things like "Do not worry about grades. Everyone will get a job." Literally all the 1L TLSers in the the room started looking around at each other like :roll:


Were they referring to post grad jobs or 1L summer jobs? Because if it's a 1L summer job and you're at a decent school, that's not that outrageous to say. Otherwise...idiotic.

User avatar
PepperJack
Posts: 646
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:23 pm

Re: Funniest thing you've heard about the job searching process?

Postby PepperJack » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:16 pm

Danger Zone wrote:The real trick is to get hundreds of them out the door as fast as possible.

TCR. How often do you think your cover letters are getting read? It's like an online dating website. They have set types as measured by school and grades. Maybe a cover letter has more value if you're writing 1 individual lawyer. In all of my mass mailing interviews, I would get questions directly addressed on my cover letters, which indicates it's not even sent/read to the interviews.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Funniest thing you've heard about the job searching process?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:21 pm

kykiske wrote:I was out at a bar this past weekend and unfortunately ran in to a group of 3Ls and a separate group of 1Ls.

The group of 1Ls had among them 3 very attractive girls. Two guys from 3L group approached the girls under the guise of "career advice." And I think within 2 seconds of meeting them, both of them dropped the biglaw firm they summered at, and talked about how much money they made.

These guys, to be frank, lack any game. They're super awkward, and not very handsome. Maybe dropping the firm name is their way of picking up law school students.

Though for this situation, the 1L girls were not very interested. They both wanted to pursue careers in public interest, so any talk of law firms bored them.

In all likelihood, they would be more likely to want a dude in big law but it seems like a boring thing to talk about. Conversation requires pertinent information coming from both directions. Hence, the term "con" - with.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.