Pittsburgh 1L Summer Associate - Energy? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
whatsEwingdoing

New

Pittsburgh 1L Summer Associate - Energy?

Post by whatsEwingdoing » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:16 am

Hey guys and gals, I've been compiling a fair list and networking with individuals that work in the energy field. I want to pursue oil and gas litigation. I know, I know, 1) I'm just a wee baby 1L, and 2) I should take ANY position I can find. I'm by no means trying to troll this page. My question remains, does anyone have any extra insight as to where I should look to do title abstracting (which is a great resume builder for the oil and gas field) for my 1L summer? Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated, but please don't write me off as trying to be too picky. I understand how difficult the legal market is. Thank you all!

TTH

Diamond

Re: Pittsburgh 1L Summer Associate - Energy?

Post by TTH » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:42 am

whatsEwingdoing wrote:Hey guys and gals, I've been compiling a fair list and networking with individuals that work in the energy field. I want to pursue oil and gas litigation. I know, I know, 1) I'm just a wee baby 1L, and 2) I should take ANY position I can find. I'm by no means trying to troll this page. My question remains, does anyone have any extra insight as to where I should look to do title abstracting (which is a great resume builder for the oil and gas field) for my 1L summer? Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated, but please don't write me off as trying to be too picky. I understand how difficult the legal market is. Thank you all!
Every firm in Pittsburgh is doing this work right now. If you don't find something in Pitt, look around the surrounding area (Washington, Canton, OH, Wheeling/Morgantown, WV).

DebtMonkey

New

Post by DebtMonkey » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:11 pm

I agree with the suggestion above -- try smaller firms and the outlying counties in Western Pennsylvania and maybe Ohio or West Virginia. For many of these types of places, you may have to volunteer or work for free. You may want to poke around the energy companies themselves. Additionally, while I agree that title abstracting/title review has been an entry door into legal positions for young attorneys in the area, I'm less convinced that those positions necessarily lead to high level gas litigation or transactional work. There isn't a whole lot of sophistication or high level reasoning going on with the work. Other opinions on this topic would likely be helpful as well. What school do you attend?

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:17 pm

Note that these positions are extremely competitive, to the point that you need to be at/near the top of your class to get one in most circumstances (depending on the school you go to). So your first focus should be on your grades. Next, apply to all mid sized and large firms in Pittsburgh, Western PA (so Washington etc) and WV on December 1st.
But also know that this probably will still result in nothing.

whatsEwingdoing

New

Post by whatsEwingdoing » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:15 pm

I got to Pitt Law. Thank you for the responses

FamilyLawEsq

Bronze

Post by FamilyLawEsq » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:39 pm

edited

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”