symplicity silence

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273406
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

symplicity silence

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:03 pm

There are a bunch of firm jobs I want that I applied to on symplicity. But I havent heard anything back yet. Do all symplicity jobs notify you with rejections? Should I call them and ask for status? Is there anything I can do to up my chances? Reach out to an alum and tell them I haven't heard back yet?

purpleparrot
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:04 pm

Re: symplicity silence

Postby purpleparrot » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There are a bunch of firm jobs I want that I applied to on symplicity. But I havent heard anything back yet. Do all symplicity jobs notify you with rejections? Should I call them and ask for status? Is there anything I can do to up my chances? Reach out to an alum and tell them I haven't heard back yet?


Contact their recruiting department to make sure they got it and ask about the timeline, etc.

User avatar
EtherOne
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:34 pm

Re: symplicity silence

Postby EtherOne » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:10 pm

In my experience, many do not get back to you. Make sure to check the deadline for any particular position, it will give you a sense of when they will stop hiring. I kept a list of all that I applied to make sure I kept track of them.

luckyjd
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: symplicity silence

Postby luckyjd » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:58 am

i had some where i did not get any responses, and i know they did interview people from my school. i think most will not respond. they receive all the materials as a batch and just pick out who they want to contact.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273406
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: symplicity silence

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:16 pm

luckyjd wrote:i had some where i did not get any responses, and i know they did interview people from my school. i think most will not respond. they receive all the materials as a batch and just pick out who they want to contact.



Did you apply through simplicity's website or just get their contact information?

My school will screen people when they submit their applications via simplicity, so the company won't necessarily receive it if the school decides to not send your application up. Not sure if every school does it, or if its just mine.

luckyjd
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: symplicity silence

Postby luckyjd » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:52 pm

most of our postings are submit to the symplicity website. not sure if they get screened by our CS or not.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: symplicity silence

Postby kalvano » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
luckyjd wrote:i had some where i did not get any responses, and i know they did interview people from my school. i think most will not respond. they receive all the materials as a batch and just pick out who they want to contact.



Did you apply through simplicity's website or just get their contact information?

My school will screen people when they submit their applications via simplicity, so the company won't necessarily receive it if the school decides to not send your application up. Not sure if every school does it, or if its just mine.


Wait, what? I'd burn down OCS for that. It's the employer's job to decide who they want to interview, not the school's job to decide who gets to apply. Fuck them.

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: symplicity silence

Postby Lasers » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:46 pm

kalvano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
luckyjd wrote:i had some where i did not get any responses, and i know they did interview people from my school. i think most will not respond. they receive all the materials as a batch and just pick out who they want to contact.



Did you apply through simplicity's website or just get their contact information?

My school will screen people when they submit their applications via simplicity, so the company won't necessarily receive it if the school decides to not send your application up. Not sure if every school does it, or if its just mine.


Wait, what? I'd burn down OCS for that. It's the employer's job to decide who they want to interview, not the school's job to decide who gets to apply. Fuck them.

Wow, wtf? Totally agree. I would be pissed off about that kind of bullshit.

User avatar
EtherOne
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:34 pm

Re: symplicity silence

Postby EtherOne » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
luckyjd wrote: My school will screen people when they submit their applications via simplicity, so the company won't necessarily receive it if the school decides to not send your application up. Not sure if every school does it, or if its just mine.


Huh? Never heard this before. That can't be right.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273406
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: symplicity silence

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:13 pm

luckyjd wrote:i had some where i did not get any responses, and i know they did interview people from my school. i think most will not respond. they receive all the materials as a batch and just pick out who they want to contact.

At my school, symplicity applications go straight to the employer when you submit your application. They are batch sent only when it's a career services resume drop.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: symplicity silence

Postby kalvano » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:22 pm

Regardless, welcome to legal hiring. Most potential employers will never get back to you. If you haven't heard back within 2-3 days, write it off and move on.

luckyjd
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: symplicity silence

Postby luckyjd » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:42 pm

EtherOne wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
luckyjd wrote: My school will screen people when they submit their applications via simplicity, so the company won't necessarily receive it if the school decides to not send your application up. Not sure if every school does it, or if its just mine.


Huh? Never heard this before. That can't be right.


you quoted the wrong person :) but regardless, i have no idea what career services does behind the scenes on symplicity. just know that didn't get responses for like 8/10 submissions. the only ones i did get response from were ones where they selected me for interview.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273406
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: symplicity silence

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:43 pm

kalvano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
luckyjd wrote:i had some where i did not get any responses, and i know they did interview people from my school. i think most will not respond. they receive all the materials as a batch and just pick out who they want to contact.



Did you apply through simplicity's website or just get their contact information?

My school will screen people when they submit their applications via simplicity, so the company won't necessarily receive it if the school decides to not send your application up. Not sure if every school does it, or if its just mine.


Wait, what? I'd burn down OCS for that. It's the employer's job to decide who they want to interview, not the school's job to decide who gets to apply. Fuck them.


I know of one in-house oil & gas position last year (for summer) for which a certain north Texas school with which you're familiar failed to forward all applications, allegedly inadvertently. They did eventually send the remainder when a student whose application was not originally sent made a continued interest inquiry with the company in question.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: symplicity silence

Postby kalvano » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:49 pm

Color me unsurprised. Although, given the school, I tend to believe it was incompetence and not a policy.

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: symplicity silence

Postby shock259 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:45 pm

I resumed-dropped to about 20 firms on Symplicity as a 2L. I didn't hear back from any of them (rejection or interest).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273406
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: symplicity silence

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
luckyjd wrote:i had some where i did not get any responses, and i know they did interview people from my school. i think most will not respond. they receive all the materials as a batch and just pick out who they want to contact.

At my school, symplicity applications go straight to the employer when you submit your application. They are batch sent only when it's a career services resume drop.


At my school, it depends.

Some employers ask career services to only forward applications that fit specific criteria and CS won't forward any that do not (which I know because I sent my application in to one even though I didn't really fit and they sent me an email explaining that they are not allowed to include it in the batch). For us, those are marked on symplicity so that you don't waste your time (I only did because it was just a resume, so it took about five seconds, and I figured why not).

I know that some of our job postings are sent as a batch and some are not. Likewise, some resume drops are sent as a batch and some are not. Again, they are typically labeled one way or another.

I would guess there is a lot of variety among the different schools and employers.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: symplicity silence

Postby kalvano » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:57 am

If a posting is on Symplicity, it should be open to all. If an employer is legitimately uninterested in anyone below a certain rank, then it should be a private email blast to those students who qualify.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273406
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: symplicity silence

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:21 am

EtherOne wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
luckyjd wrote: My school will screen people when they submit their applications via simplicity, so the company won't necessarily receive it if the school decides to not send your application up. Not sure if every school does it, or if its just mine.


Huh? Never heard this before. That can't be right.



AP you quoted here.

I was looking for a summer internship this past May. I applied to a few different positions, and got an e-mail from Career Services asking to come in to discuss possible summer positions (showing, at least, that Career Services was aware that I was still looking for a summer position).

When I went to the office, he showed me the screen of all the positions I applied to. He asked me which areas I was specifically interested in, and after a brief discussion, he "approved" my submissions to various offices.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273406
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: symplicity silence

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:36 pm

Post on Symplicity today:

SculptDC.

DESCRIPTION
Front desk staff responsibilities include but are not limited to greeting and checking in clients, selling retail merchandise, ensuring that the studio is neat and ready for use by clients, responding to client inquiries, managing our volunteer staff, and performing administrative tasks as necessary.

The ideal candidate should be able to work independently, have the ability to multi-task, and have great customer service and interpersonal skills. He or she should also be able to work at least 20 hours per week including evenings and weekends. Interest in yoga and/or cycling is a plus!

To apply, please send your resume along with a statement about why you are interested in working for Sculpt DC to lorin@sculptdc.com.


yup.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273406
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: symplicity silence

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:11 pm

I almost want to say at least it's better than nothing...?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273406
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: symplicity silence

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Post on Symplicity today:

SculptDC.

DESCRIPTION
Front desk staff responsibilities include but are not limited to greeting and checking in clients, selling retail merchandise, ensuring that the studio is neat and ready for use by clients, responding to client inquiries, managing our volunteer staff, and performing administrative tasks as necessary.

The ideal candidate should be able to work independently, have the ability to multi-task, and have great customer service and interpersonal skills. He or she should also be able to work at least 20 hours per week including evenings and weekends. Interest in yoga and/or cycling is a plus!

To apply, please send your resume along with a statement about why you are interested in working for Sculpt DC to lorin@sculptdc.com.


yup.


I remember a post last spring on my school's symplicity that was an unpaid internship (no option for credit, even) in a middle of nowhere (difficult to get to) area which is extraordinarily expensive. The position explicitly said that your role at this small law office would be to get dry cleaning and coffee - no client contact, little contact with attorneys, no substantive work, no research, not even scheduling the calendar. (I'm not sure how dry cleaning and coffee take up all of your time, but it was for 40+ hours a week and said you had to be there whenever the attorneys were.)

...and I'm fairly certain people applied.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.