No job, feeling pessimistic, wondering what to do

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

No job, feeling pessimistic, wondering what to do

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:19 pm

I'm not going to write a long, drawn-out story here because you don't want to read that but I am just going to say I am a 2L who completely struck out at OCI (not even a callback) at a T20 school with median grades.

As I got more and more rejections I got more and more bitter and the problem is I didn't even really bother trying to get a job via any other method. I know it was idiotic of me to not really try at all, but I can't do anything about that now.

Now as we are at the end of October obviously all hope of getting an SA is obliterated. Can you please offer me some advice on what types of jobs I should be aiming for now and what I can do to obtain them? At this point I just want somebody to hire me. I don't care what it is that I end up doing. Public interest is intriguing to me but my resume is not at all tailored to that and I'm not in the public interest program at my school so I'm not sure how I could go about getting a PI job right now.

Oh and I am on Law Review... I guess that's relevant.

So in short, I am asking what somebody who struck out at OCI and has nothing else lined up should do now in order to get a job. As I said, I know it was stupid to not go hard with mass mailing or whatever, so you don't have to tell me. Career services at my school is useless. Thanks.

Danger Zone

Re: No job, feeling pessimistic, wondering what to do

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:24 pm

I honestly don't think that it is too late to mass mail. It may turn out to be a fruitless endeavor, but I don't think there are any other options at this point in time. If you get no bites in the next month or two, you could always switch to seeking employment with smaller firms or unpaid PI gigs then. But for now, firms are still hiring, so go hard in the paint with mass mailing.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:58 pm

I don't know where the OP is (Northeast, maybe?) but would it be possible to look further afield for a paying job? Out of state, even?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:59 pm

I know it says "not for 2Ls" but this thread will still be useful: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=192753

The big job fair is over - and realistically median/LR/T20 means that ship probably sailed before the first interview. To land something now means very individual networking/hustle/applying, you won't find careful guides because it's so individualized outside of the OCI machine.

You might look into the book guerrilla guide to getting the legal job of your dreams - it has a very realistic perspective on the job hunt out of the bubble of OCI.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:05 pm

Also, there are paid in-house gigs starting to be posted on my school's Symplicity, so start hitting up F500 company websites and seeing if they take on legal interns.

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:15 pm

if you want to make public interest an option, find an externship for the spring semester doing the type of work you could see yourself doing and preferably the type that hires new grads--so DA, PD, AG, or a big legal services place would be ideal. Standards tend to be lower for term time stuff than for the summer, so it should be easier.

You'll get experience, a more versatile resume, and just putting it on your resume as upcoming will help you apply to similar types of jobs for 2L summer.

luckyjd

Postby luckyjd » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:38 pm

You're a 2L. There's plenty of time to find a job. Okay, maybe you don't get it through OCI, and maybe you won't get a V100 firm, but it's not the end of the world. You can start feeling pessimistic when you're a 3L without anything lined up for after graduation, but even then, us 3Ls sitll have 6-7 months before graduation. Keep hustling! I've found the first and most important thing to do is reset your expectations. Don't think you're entitled to a job, instead be grateful for an opportunity to interview for a job. Hopefully having that outlook will make the process more bearable. Once you get over your ego, the job search becomes second nature.

By the way, my friends last year who did not have jobs from OCI (and there were a lot of them, even at my T14) hustled well into the spring. Most of them got at least mid-level firm (~200 attorney firm size). So you can't stop now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:05 pm

You need to do an internship next semester and hope they give you an offer. If you want to do PI, volunteer your time this semester and apply early next semester for a position with a non-profit (most more prestigious orgs. like DA/Legal aid/Govt. will be done). Here in NYC we have suspension representation, uncontested divorce project, etc. You can def play off one of those if you tailor your cover letter to how it will tie in to the job you are applying to. Consider a PI type clinic for next semester as well.

Private sector: compliance! Or get a private sector internship next semester and see if you get something. Your school's OCS site should be getting postings for small firms in the coming months.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not going to write a long, drawn-out story here because you don't want to read that but I am just going to say I am a 2L who completely struck out at OCI (not even a callback) at a T20 school with median grades.

As I got more and more rejections I got more and more bitter and the problem is I didn't even really bother trying to get a job via any other method. I know it was idiotic of me to not really try at all, but I can't do anything about that now.

Now as we are at the end of October obviously all hope of getting an SA is obliterated. Can you please offer me some advice on what types of jobs I should be aiming for now and what I can do to obtain them? At this point I just want somebody to hire me. I don't care what it is that I end up doing. Public interest is intriguing to me but my resume is not at all tailored to that and I'm not in the public interest program at my school so I'm not sure how I could go about getting a PI job right now.

Oh and I am on Law Review... I guess that's relevant.

So in short, I am asking what somebody who struck out at OCI and has nothing else lined up should do now in order to get a job. As I said, I know it was stupid to not go hard with mass mailing or whatever, so you don't have to tell me. Career services at my school is useless. Thanks.

Put you bootstraps on and mass mail your ass off. Yeah you will waste tons of time and and get rejected by 99% of them, but those firms that do give you an interview and a chance make it worth it. I mass mailed just under a 100 so far. I have received one interview and two said they will contact me in Jan. Got to get grinding.

Return to “Legal Employment”