Christmas

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Amity

Christmas

Postby Amity » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:17 am

As a 3L who secured an associate position for next year, what is the protocol about sending Christmas cards to the firm? One card that covers everyone or cards to those we worked closely with during our SA (my concern with picking and choosing people is that someone might possibly feel slighted).

Any thoughts on “Merry Christmas” versus happy holiday? My guess is snail mail is good and email isn’t (other maybe a best wishes email to a couple of folks). Another option is just forget about sending anything.

Do most firms invite their soon to be associates to the Christmas party?

Re: Christmas

Postby 20160810 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:42 am

Christmas cards are highly offensive because some people at the firm likely do not celebrate Christmas. Instead, obtain the cell phone numbers of everyone at the firm (including support staff) and text them naked selfies on December 21st in honor of the shortest day of the year. Honoring the pre-Christian pagan tradition of solstice-worship by mass-disseminating grainy cameraphone pictures of your shaft is the only way to make damn sure that you get an offer. Make sure that the angle you choose is a flattering one. For V10 firms, it's balls skyward or GTFO.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:58 am

Good question. It doesn't strike me as a bad idea. Every year I send Christmas cards to everyone I formally worked with before law school. I don't see why a law firm is any different. I would just keep it to a general "Happy holidays!'

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:56 am

How about you don't send anything and, instead, enjoy whatever they send you. Also, sending Merry Christmas cards to a (presumably) New York firm full of Jewish attorneys? You'll do good, brah.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:Good question. It doesn't strike me as a bad idea. Every year I send Christmas cards to everyone I formally worked with before law school. I don't see why a law firm is any different. I would just keep it to a general "Happy holidays!'

CLUTCH USE of ANONYMOUS POSTING

User has been warned. Note: if you think you see anon abuse, use the report feature. Do not derail the thread.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:41 pm

SBL wrote:Christmas cards are highly offensive because some people at the firm likely do not celebrate Christmas. Instead, obtain the cell phone numbers of everyone at the firm (including support staff) and text them naked selfies on December 21st in honor of the shortest day of the year. Honoring the pre-Christian pagan tradition of solstice-worship by mass-disseminating grainy cameraphone pictures of your shaft is the only way to make damn sure that you get an offer. Make sure that the angle you choose is a flattering one. For V10 firms, it's balls skyward or GTFO.

The only problem with this response is that OP is clearly female - she's asking about Christmas cards, and her avatar is a cat. Still, I guess the principles are gender neutral.

Also, definitely go with "Happy Holidays" or something similar.

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:21 pm

If you do, don't make the same mistake Elaine Benes made.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:34 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amity

Postby Amity » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:10 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
SBL wrote:Christmas cards are highly offensive because some people at the firm likely do not celebrate Christmas. Instead, obtain the cell phone numbers of everyone at the firm (including support staff) and text them naked selfies on December 21st in honor of the shortest day of the year. Honoring the pre-Christian pagan tradition of solstice-worship by mass-disseminating grainy cameraphone pictures of your shaft is the only way to make damn sure that you get an offer. Make sure that the angle you choose is a flattering one. For V10 firms, it's balls skyward or GTFO.

The only problem with this response is that OP is clearly female - she's asking about Christmas cards, and her avatar is a cat. Still, I guess the principles are gender neutral.

Thanks. Probably will go with Happy Holidays. Still wondering if to make it one card for the entire firm or send a card to individuals. Also, any consensus about invites to the Christmas party to offered associates?

BTW: Never understand why mods take pleasure in trying to derail threads, which seems to be SOP but it is not OK for a poster trying to be helpful using an anon. What’s up with that… is TLS operated by boomers… or is what I noted an insult to boomers (which is hard to do).

Postby 20160810 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:56 pm

Amity wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:

Thanks. Probably will go with Happy Holidays. Still wondering if to make it one card for the entire firm or send a card to individuals. Also, any consensus about invites to the Christmas party to offered associates?

BTW: Never understand why mods take pleasure in trying to derail threads, which seems to be SOP but it is not OK for a poster trying to be helpful using an anon. What’s up with that… is TLS operated by boomers… or is what I noted an insult to boomers (which is hard to do).

I'm not a mod. I'm a rogue agent in hot pursuit of vigilante justice.

Return to “Legal Employment”