Clerkship Bonuses in DC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273153
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Clerkship Bonuses in DC

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:02 pm

Is anybody aware of the standard bonus amounts for federal clerks at the top firms in town? Especially DC-based firms, like Williams & Connolly, Covington, WilmerHale, and Arnold & Porter?

I was under the impression that DC firms awarded $50,000 for one federal clerkship and $70,000 for two. But I've heard some rumblings (as I begin to consider where I'll land) that some firms won't go higher than $50,000, even for incoming associates who have completed two clerkships.

Edited to add: Is the market rate for clerkship bonuses in DC different than the market rate in New York?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273153
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerkship Bonuses in DC

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is anybody aware of the standard bonus amounts for federal clerks at the top firms in town? Especially DC-based firms, like Williams & Connolly, Covington, WilmerHale, and Arnold & Porter?

I was under the impression that DC firms awarded $50,000 for one federal clerkship and $70,000 for two. But I've heard some rumblings (as I begin to consider where I'll land) that some firms won't go higher than $50,000, even for incoming associates who have completed two clerkships.

Edited to add: Is the market rate for clerkship bonuses in DC different than the market rate in New York?


I know that the trend in other markets is $50,000 bonus for one federal clerkship and no bonus for the second clerkship.

badaboom61
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: Clerkship Bonuses in DC

Postby badaboom61 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is anybody aware of the standard bonus amounts for federal clerks at the top firms in town? Especially DC-based firms, like Williams & Connolly, Covington, WilmerHale, and Arnold & Porter?

I was under the impression that DC firms awarded $50,000 for one federal clerkship and $70,000 for two. But I've heard some rumblings (as I begin to consider where I'll land) that some firms won't go higher than $50,000, even for incoming associates who have completed two clerkships.

Edited to add: Is the market rate for clerkship bonuses in DC different than the market rate in New York?


Firms are often pretty up front about these kinds of things. You can probably call their recruiting departments without identifying yourself and ask them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273153
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerkship Bonuses in DC

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:52 pm

badaboom61 wrote:Firms are often pretty up front about these kinds of things. You can probably call their recruiting departments without identifying yourself and ask them.


I think you're right, and I plan to do that. I was just hoping for some negotiating leverage (in the form of information regarding better bonuses from peer firms) if the answer is $50,000.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273153
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerkship Bonuses in DC

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
badaboom61 wrote:Firms are often pretty up front about these kinds of things. You can probably call their recruiting departments without identifying yourself and ask them.


I think you're right, and I plan to do that. I was just hoping for some negotiating leverage (in the form of information regarding better bonuses from peer firms) if the answer is $50,000.


My v10 offers $50k for 1, $70k for two.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273153
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerkship Bonuses in DC

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My v10 offers $50k for 1, $70k for two.


For associates starting in DC? (I'm assuming your firm is NY-based.)




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.