Intelligence community AFTER law school

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Intelligence community AFTER law school

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:55 pm

I have a strong desire to enter into the Intelligence Community as a field agent or officer. However, I'm already in law school and I want to stick it out and graduate. Has anyone entered the intelligence arena after graduating from law school, or know anyone who has gone through such an experience?? I realize that entering law school was probably not the best career move for this future profession, but what are my options at this point? Any help would be great.

kalvano

Re: Intelligence community AFTER law school

Postby kalvano » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:07 pm

JD is actually a good degree for intelligence work. Do you have language skills? Arabic, Mandarin, Russian?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:34 pm

kalvano wrote:JD is actually a good degree for intelligence work. Do you have language skills? Arabic, Mandarin, Russian?

I don't have any fluency in foreign languages... do you know what intelligence jobs would hire a newly graduated JD??

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kalvano wrote:JD is actually a good degree for intelligence work. Do you have language skills? Arabic, Mandarin, Russian?

I don't have any fluency in foreign languages... do you know what intelligence jobs would hire a newly graduated JD??

Intelligence community is huge umbrella, so its hard to be helpful.

However, assuming you are talking HUMINT. Outside military personnel, I have never met anyone in a case officer-esque role who wasn't at least bilingual. Not sure about Case Management Officers and analysts.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Foreign language skills are huge. Probably a deal breaker. For reference, just the CIA gets around 10,000 applications per month. You need to stand out, and while they do value critical thinking skills, language skills are immensely important. No matter what you do, if it involves intelligence work, you're very likely to need foreign language skills.

Unless you have military training, you're probably out of luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:07 pm

kalvano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Foreign language skills are huge. Probably a deal breaker. For reference, just the CIA gets around 10,000 applications per month. You need to stand out, and while they do value critical thinking skills, language skills are immensely important. No matter what you do, if it involves intelligence work, you're very likely to need foreign language skills.

Unless you have military training, you're probably out of luck.

It's even hard with language skills... I have Arabic and didn't even get an interview. Good luck!

Return to “Legal Employment”