(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Tigerbait2015

Postby Tigerbait2015 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:39 pm

Last edited by Tigerbait2015 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

stillwater

Re: Struck out at OCI, no interviews from mass mail

Postby stillwater » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:17 pm

Tigerbait2015 wrote:Transfer from a T2, was Top 1/3 after 1L. Transferred to a Low T1 in my target market, although my former school was a feeder for this market too. So far, got one interview from OCI, no CB. Have been mass mailing like the dickens, over 100 sent out, but my target market is not very big and I've pretty much exhausted all but 10 man or less shops, who I know won't start hiring till later. So far 0 interviews from mass mail, only rejections and silence. Went to Career Services and their only advice was "start networking". Is this my only hope right now? Finding it hard to find time to go to a lot of networking events between Moot Ct. and school. I am also on a secondary journal. I realize TCR might be to ignore grades and focus on networking, but as a transfer I feel like I need to put in the work to do even better at my new school to have a shot at good jobs. Advice?

how much debt? may want to drop out. b/c as a transfer i assume youll be paying sticker for 2 years.

Tigerbait2015

Postby Tigerbait2015 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:18 pm

Last edited by Tigerbait2015 on Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

punkyg0608

Postby punkyg0608 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:16 pm

Pick a city where you have ties and apply to mid-size and small firms. You'll get great experience immediately if you work at a small firm, and you can always try again for Biglaw another time if you're not satisfied at a smaller firm. If you ask your career services office for a list of the 100 biggest firms in ______, they should be able to find a list, and you can mass mail every firm on the list that interests you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:38 pm

To be honest, I've been completely slacking on my secondary journal.

While other students wrote 4 drafts of their issue statement, I wrote just one. Ironically, mine was approved before theirs.

Securing a 2L SA/Law Clerk position is my #1 priority. Stuff related to school has taken a back seat. For example, I was pressured to run for a leadership position in a student organization, and I not only declined, but withdrew from the club.

A lot of my classmates are focusing a ton on their extracurricular activities, and I've been instead devoting that time to mass-mailing and networking. To each their own.

Different people take different paths to success.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:41 pm

Gun for grades, aim for clerkship at any level. Government jobs will also open up later but will want to see great grades. Dont let your grades fall because you didnt get biglaw because your grades still matter for anything else. Plus 2L and 3L are the easiest time to raise the grades.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Gun for grades, aim for clerkship at any level

i echo this. anyway you can extend your lifespan in the game is credited.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Gun for grades, aim for clerkship at any level. Government jobs will also open up later but will want to see great grades. Dont let your grades fall because you didnt get biglaw because your grades still matter for anything else. Plus 2L and 3L are the easiest time to raise the grades.

Sorry didnt mean to be anon

Return to “Legal Employment”