I am hustling and stressed out, yet my classmates are not?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

I am hustling and stressed out, yet my classmates are not?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:54 pm

Am I just completely missing something?

I have been mass-mailing, going to networking events etc.

And yet a large amount of my classmates have done NOTHING ]since OCI ended.

I feel like I am taking on a ton of stress, ignoring a fair amount of school work and journal work in exchange for mass-mailing and networking.

I really really really hope this effort and time pay off in the end.

hichvichwoh

Re: I am hustling and stressed out, yet my classmates are not?

Postby hichvichwoh » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Am I just completely missing something?

I feel like I am taking on a ton of stress, ignoring a fair amount of school work and journal work in exchange for mass-mailing and networking.

there are probably lots of people who are freaking out on the inside but keeping it hidden.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:13 pm

There's probably even more people who haven't even considered how fucked they could be. After all, they did manage to think law school was a good idea in the first place. They're basically self-selected for having irrational optimism about their odds of success.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:29 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:44 pm

OP here.

Yeah, I agree with a lot of what has been said.

I've been hustling my ass off, telling people how hard it is to even get an interview.

But, I feel like my words fall on deaf ears. A lot of my class mates cite to their career counselor who say that "many" firms post opening for 2L Law Clerk/SA positions in January and on into spring. Even if that is true, with how many of us do not have a 2L position, even the new openings will be super competitive.

I guess I should stop wasting my breath on trying to convince them how hard it is out there, and how it will take a lot of effort.

Oh well.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:49 pm

a lot of people who are really stressed out don't look like they're stressed out

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:03 pm

I feel like I keep my stress hidden pretty well. I spent the period immediately after OCI stressed out of my mind, but you wouldn't have noticed had you seen me. It's not "cool" to freak out, I would guess a decent portion of your colleagues are pretty nervous but just not showing it.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:52 pm

Don't worry about the competition. Focus on what you gotta do to get the job. Don't ignore your school work if it will result in you getting bad grades. December is approaching. Firm jobs are mostly gone by now. Focus less on mass-mailing and more on making connections. Look for opportunities that you wouldn't have considered previously. Understand that there will be limited hiring overall in December and January. Don't get discouraged. Be prepared to send applications for local school-year spring clerkships in your area.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:41 pm

Fucked as a 2L? Possibly. I'm a 3L and it amazes me how many 3Ls aren't doing anything. I just can't understand how people can just float by like that. Granted, some are probably working, but haven't received results because of the market. That's one thing. But still. I know many who just haven't started applying yet.

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:27 am

brotherdarkness wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:There's probably even more people who haven't even considered how fucked they could be.

My naiveté continues to surprise me because I was flabbergasted at how often I found this to be true.

This.

Almost no one really, truly appreciates how dire their situation is if they don't get a job from OCI. You're all in the same boat after that and getting a job is a matter of sheer luck and hustling.

Most everyone thinks things will work out and keeps that optimistic (read: lazy) attitude until the end of 3L when graduation is approaching and they don't have a job lined up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:10 pm

hiima3L wrote:You're all in the same boat after that and getting a job is a matter of sheer luck and hustling.

Most everyone thinks things will work out and keeps that optimistic (read: lazy) attitude until the end of 3L when graduation is approaching and they don't have a job lined up.

Isn't this (luck and hustle) true before OCI as well?

I've noticed this attitude in a lot of my classmates as well. There are some hustling and just not talking about it much, others who are interested in different summer jobs (that haven't picked up as much yet), but a lot of them have said they aren't applying yet and don't understand why others are applying and interviewing now.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:43 pm

Talking about how much you are gunning applying for jobs is pretty douchey. But not gunning for jobs is retarded.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:58 pm

Well some of my classmates are just applying for positions on Symplicity, and banking on that turning into something.

But I remember as a 1L how competitive it was to get a job through Symplicity. But I'm not entirely sure on whether 2Ls will have better luck.

redsox550

Postby redsox550 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:06 pm

hiima3L wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:There's probably even more people who haven't even considered how fucked they could be.

My naiveté continues to surprise me because I was flabbergasted at how often I found this to be true.

This.

Almost no one really, truly appreciates how dire their situation is if they don't get a job from OCI. You're all in the same boat after that and getting a job is a matter of sheer luck and hustling.

I know a few people from TTT's that as the end of 3L approached switched into the whole "I'll wait and enjoy a small vacation, take the bar, and THEN everyone will hire me when I finally start applying after I passed the bar"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:46 pm

I've stopped applying simply because I'm not interested in working anywhere I haven't yet applied to

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've stopped applying simply because I'm not interested in working anywhere I haven't yet applied to

I've definitely slowed down my applications because of this. I haven't sent out as many new applications, but I am continuing to follow up with past applications and keep looking for new places I might be interested in (or new positions posted).

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
hiima3L wrote:You're all in the same boat after that and getting a job is a matter of sheer luck and hustling.

Isn't this (luck and hustle) true before OCI as well?

I've noticed this attitude in a lot of my classmates as well. There are some hustling and just not talking about it much, others who are interested in different summer jobs (that haven't picked up as much yet), but a lot of them have said they aren't applying yet and don't understand why others are applying and interviewing now.

I assume every 1L busts their ass knowing that the rest of their career is more or less dependent on 1L grades, but yes, there are relative degrees of luck and hustling before OCI.

It's just after OCI, the line is drawn. You can tell who has no need to hustle and who should be worried about their future. But more importantly, people react to these situations very different. Some let it show, some don't, some bullshit about it all in public.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:16 pm

I'm in a position where I really can't get a job with my shitty median GPA so I'm not sacrificing any more school work this semester for the job search.

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I'm in a position where I really can't get a job with my shitty median GPA so I'm not sacrificing any more school work this semester for the job search.

I assure you that your GPA is going to have little effect on getting a job at this point, except for maybe clerking, which would require a 4.0 for the next 2 years.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:40 am

hiima3L wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I assure you that your GPA is going to have little effect on getting a job at this point, except for maybe clerking, which would require a 4.0 for the next 2 years.

This is probably true. Unless you are at median and a 2L, then maybe you can get to a top 1/3 rd at graduation and apply to jobs as the top 1/3 rd post graduation.This should be a reasonable goal, but if you don't get the grades this semester to make it happen, then you should focus on finding a job, not increasing your gpa from 3.1 to 3.2.

Return to “Legal Employment”