NYC summer associate housing for 4+

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYC summer associate housing for 4+

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:05 pm

First off, I did search and couldn't find any threads that were particularly helpful.

Me and about 4 friends are all going to be doing SAs in midtown. Ideally we'd like to live together to save money. I haven't really spent any time in NYC and don't even know where to start.

I'm not asking for advice on where to live (because that is probably the same as people looking for permanent NYC housing and there are plenty of threads on that), but rather, when should I start looking? Should I only be looking at subleases/"corporate housing"/ what? I know the housing market in NYC is a little different than other places. Anything else I should know?

Thanks!

Sup Kid

Re: NYC summer associate housing for 4+

Postby Sup Kid » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:First off, I did search and couldn't find any threads that were particularly helpful.

Me and about 4 friends are all going to be doing SAs in midtown. Ideally we'd like to live together to save money. I haven't really spent any time in NYC and don't even know where to start.

I'm not asking for advice on where to live (because that is probably the same as people looking for permanent NYC housing and there are plenty of threads on that), but rather, when should I start looking? Should I only be looking at subleases/"corporate housing"/ what? I know the housing market in NYC is a little different than other places. Anything else I should know?

Thanks!

Unless you're planning on sharing rooms (not recommended), you should probably just split up 2 and 2 -- it'll be almost impossible to find a 4-bedroom apartment, but it's pretty easy to find convertible one bedroom or two bedroom apartments. That said, to answer your "when" question, the earliest is probably 4 months out (so February), and even that is pretty early. Most people find thijngs in March or April. Caveat: I think some of the student housing you can get at a place like NYU opens up much earlier, like January, so if that's something you're interested in check it out sooner.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:05 am

Sup Kid wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:First off, I did search and couldn't find any threads that were particularly helpful.

Thanks!

Unless you're planning on sharing rooms (not recommended), you should probably just split up 2 and 2 -- it'll be almost impossible to find a 4-bedroom apartment, but it's pretty easy to find convertible one bedroom or two bedroom apartments. That said, to answer your "when" question, the earliest is probably 4 months out (so February), and even that is pretty early. Most people find thijngs in March or April. Caveat: I think some of the student housing you can get at a place like NYU opens up much earlier, like January, so if that's something you're interested in check it out sooner.

why is sharing not reccommended? isnt it cheaper?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:15 am

As in 4 of you in a two BR apartment? What is this, college?

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:19 am

get bunk beds bro

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:31 am

Sup Kid wrote:

Thanks!

OP here. Thank you!

To the others: no, I definitely did not mean we're looking to share rooms. wat. i didn't know 4 or 5 bedroom apts weren't a thing in NYC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:09 am

Another SA used http://www.studenthousing.org for housing. Hopefully, it helps.

I live in New York and think it is a good short term option. The firm may also have some suggestions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sup Kid wrote:

Thanks!

OP here. Thank you!

To the others: no, I definitely did not mean we're looking to share rooms. wat. i didn't know 4 or 5 bedroom apts weren't a thing in NYC.

I mean, it's not that they're "not a thing," and there are definitely private houses in the outer boroughs that sometimes mom and pop landlords will rent out, but the chances of there being a vacancy like this unless you are all very rich and can pay a broker and then pay very high rent are slim to none. I've seen a bunch of 3 bedrooms in Brooklyn where people pay like 1k a month each, but those can be hard to find, especially without a broker, and adding another bedroom would only increase the difficulty.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:08 am

Agreed with the above. You can keep your eyes peeled for a 4-bedroom but I wouldn't count on one arising. There aren't that many apartments that big in NYC in the first place, and for you to get one for the summer would require that all four people are going to be subletting at the same time... just not very likely.

It sounds like you're not that attuned to just how tight the housing crunch is in NYC. I think for the summer you guys would be best off just all trying to get into NYU housing or something similar.

dirkdigler

Postby dirkdigler » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:43 am

I've got a one bedroom just south of NYU that I'm looking to sublet from June - August. (Took an offer in a different market after signing one year lease.)

Message me if interested.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:12 pm

4 bedrooms happen in luxury buildings and in Williamsburg (in new luxury buildings and lofts). Get a broker since you won't be able to hustle for a place while you're here. Email the broker 6 weeks before the move-in date and you will get first pick of the apartments that go up that month. Things happen quickly here, so unless you are planning to stay in a hotel for a week and spend every single day looking at places on Craigslist, cash in hand, then just get a reputable broker (check Yelp/ask around) and be done with it. 4 bedrooms are rare but possible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:4 bedrooms happen in luxury buildings and in Williamsburg (in new luxury buildings and lofts). Get a broker since you won't be able to hustle for a place while you're here. Email the broker 6 weeks before the move-in date and you will get first pick of the apartments that go up that month. Things happen quickly here, so unless you are planning to stay in a hotel for a week and spend every single day looking at places on Craigslist, cash in hand, then just get a reputable broker (check Yelp/ask around) and be done with it. 4 bedrooms are rare but possible.

This is TCR for permanent housing, but the OP asked for summer housing for 4. You won't be able to find a place that 4 people are subletting at the same time. You can either split up in 2 and 2 or do NYU housing because they may have apartments available with 3 or 4 bedrooms and this is probably cheaper. Also you can split and do NYU in pairs of 2.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:45 pm

stillwater wrote:get bunk beds bro

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:4 bedrooms happen in luxury buildings and in Williamsburg (in new luxury buildings and lofts). Get a broker since you won't be able to hustle for a place while you're here. Email the broker 6 weeks before the move-in date and you will get first pick of the apartments that go up that month. Things happen quickly here, so unless you are planning to stay in a hotel for a week and spend every single day looking at places on Craigslist, cash in hand, then just get a reputable broker (check Yelp/ask around) and be done with it. 4 bedrooms are rare but possible.

This is TCR for permanent housing, but the OP asked for summer housing for 4. You won't be able to find a place that 4 people are subletting at the same time. You can either split up in 2 and 2 or do NYU housing because they may have apartments available with 3 or 4 bedrooms and this is probably cheaper. Also you can split and do NYU in pairs of 2.

Yeah, none of the types of places original anon mentions are likely to rent for only 2-3 months.

Return to “Legal Employment”