Struck out at OCI, looking for advice and guidance

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Struck out at OCI, looking for advice and guidance

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:29 pm

Been "officially" struck out for a few weeks now. Median, K-JD at lower T14 (ranked 7-13). Had a few callbacks from OCI and mass mailing (3-6 range), but unfortunately nothing came of them. I guess I'm just not really sure what to do next, and when/where to do it. Worked in criminal court this past summer and really enjoyed it (might be one of the things that hurt me at OCI with some firms, to be honest), and I think I'll apply to a lot of DA's offices, but what else? Not really considering dropping out since I do like the work and can really see myself being a lawyer. Will probably have ~$175k of debt at graduation, but I have really nice/generous parents who will help me cover it (not all of it, but enough to make a non-biglaw salary livable for me) as long as I'm working. I feel bad taking advantage of them, but thats life...

Anyway, honestly I don't really know exactly what I'm asking, but I guess I just need some guidance (since career services sure ain't giving it to me). I'm not really sure what to do next. Any big DA's offices still hiring, or big government stuff? For the past 2 weeks I've basically just been applying to stuff thats been popping up on my schools simplicity, but I know I need to expand beyond that a lot. Its just hard to know where to look, and all the stress of school and my journal and pro bono work has been really killing me.

Thanks for any advice you guys have.

sopranorleone

Re: Struck out at OCI, looking for advice and guidance

Postby sopranorleone » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:37 pm

Check lawstudentjobs.net for in-house positions for next summer. A lot of them haven't started hiring yet. Sorry to hear, and good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:40 pm

I got two callbacks from vault firms right around this time. One became an offer; the other probably would have if I were interested in the practice group. For this next month, apply to as many places you have ties to as possible. Non-NYC markets (including DC/Chicago) keep recruiting going this long.

I will let others chime in on big fed/DA positions.

EtherOne

Postby EtherOne » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:04 pm

Start applying to non-NY markets, they generally hire relatively late in the game, so you are not "officially" struck out yet.

punkyg0608

Postby punkyg0608 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:35 pm

Pick a city where you have ties and apply to mid-size and small firms. You'll get great experience immediately if you work at a small firm, and you can always try again for Biglaw another time if you're not satisfied at a smaller firm. If you ask your career services office for a list of the 100 biggest firms in ______, they should be able to find a list, and you can mass mail every firm on the list that interests you.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:47 pm

punkyg0608 wrote:Pick a city where you have ties and apply to mid-size and small firms. You'll get great experience immediately if you work at a small firm, and you can always try again for Biglaw another time if you're not satisfied at a smaller firm. If you ask your career services office for a list of the 100 biggest firms in ______, they should be able to find a list, and you can mass mail every firm on the list that interests you.

:lol:

OfThriceandTen

Postby OfThriceandTen » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:56 pm

OP, tell your pro bono that you need to take some time off for a few weeks. If the journal is non-LR, slack off. Not enough to get kicked off (you can't afford to start cutting things off your resume), but don't worry about pushing deadlines -- they'll likely give you at least 1 warning before kicking you off. I would suggest skipping class and class work, too, although once it hits November you should be taking school stuff seriously. Of your list of things that stress you out, schoolwork to keep up the grades is the only important one right now.

PSJD.com has some listings for public interest stuff. Get your school's credentials for the Arizona Guide and look through that. Do what above posters said about mid-law stuff, but also pick a market and reach out to alums in that area. Don't just rely on job postings and massmailing. You need to be making yourself a presence in the legal market of X city, so that places with small class sizes (mid/small firms) think of you first when they think about hiring interns.

Good luck.

Return to “Legal Employment”