CIA/DIA/DHS/DOD

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

CIA/DIA/DHS/DOD

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:49 am

Has anyone interned with these agencies in the past?? Please explain how to get your foot in the door with this type of fed. gov. work! I know these positions are extremely competitive. What are the best ways to network?

Anonymous User

Re: CIA/DIA/DHS/DOD

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:32 pm

I interned for DHS last spring. I submitted an application via my school's Simplicity site and got lucky. The best advice I can suggest is to reach out to alums or upper level classmates that work/have worked there and see if they can help. For me, foreign languages seemed to help so if you have that, make sure to stress it. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:35 pm

Do you need to be a citizen to work for these agencies?

I know that some non-citizens can get Art. III Clerkships if their country is an ally of the United States in defense efforts as per the Appropriations Act. I'm a citizen of one of those countries.

But I'd think agencies like CIA, DHS, and DOD are even more concerned about citizenship status.

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you need to be a citizen to work for these agencies?

I know that some non-citizens can get Art. III Clerkships if their country is an ally of the United States in defense efforts as per the Appropriations Act. I'm a citizen of one of those countries.

But I'd think agencies like CIA, DHS, and DOD are even more concerned about citizenship status.

You won't be able to get the clearance necessary to do work for them even if they would hire you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:30 pm

mr. wednesday wrote:

You won't be able to get the clearance necessary to do work for them even if they would hire you.

Damn. Thanks for the response, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:07 am

A few of my coworkers at DHS were dual citizens, but they had to drop their non-U.S. citizenship just for the internship. Not sure how this works if you only have foreign citizenship.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:51 am

While this was true until about 2010, it is no longer true: foreigners can no longer receive paid federal clerkships in the continental US.

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/09/clerkship-application-season-open-thread-and-a-tricky-issue-re-non-citizen-law-clerks/

Return to “Legal Employment”