Is there any value to working in house?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is there any value to working in house?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:24 pm

I have an interview to work in-house for a paid "internship" in the Bay. I think they have an overflow of work and are looking for an extra hand. Is there any career value to this? I'm a 3L and fairly busy schedule, and will be working for a V10 firm next year after graduation. This job would require a commute of an hour to an hour and a half and the average time commitment is about 20 hours a week. Should I do it?

Anonymous User

Re: Is there any value to working in house?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:14 pm

I'm part of the school of thought where any exposure to in-house lawyers is helpful.

Develop and maintain those connections even after finishing that job. You never know, the lawyers you develop a strong relationship with may become a source of business later on in your career.

It may not be as quick as you leave that job, graduate, and start with your V10 firm, and on your first day they call you and ask for you to be their lawyer.

But as you develop in your career, and establish yourself, they may look to you, or your firm--assuming you did good work for them and they enjoyed working with you--whenever they need expert advice.

I would do it. But that's just my two cents.

Return to “Legal Employment”