Lateral to EDNY Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Cardboardbox

Bronze

Lateral to EDNY

Post by Cardboardbox » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:10 am

From what I understand, to break into the USAO SDNY you need to either go the big law or clerkship route, but I was wondering if EDNY was just as unforgiving or if there's some room for lateral movement there outside the traditional routes?

Thanks for any advice.
Last edited by Cardboardbox on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cardboardbox

Bronze

Re: Lateral to EDNY

Post by Cardboardbox » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:56 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:SDNY what? USAO?
Yup, brain fart, I could have sworn I wrote that the first time, thanks.

heartbreaker

New

Post by heartbreaker » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:54 am

Not really, as competitive applicants apply to both offices and there are many more highly qualified applicants than there are spots.

EDNY is a prestigious office and most AUSAs have either biglaw (or elite litigation boutique) experience or a clerkship, and usually both. Successful applicants also have at least a few people advocating hard for them (judges or former AUSAs with connections). It's hard to get your application looked at if you don't have someone pulling for you, and that's usually a connection you've made at biglaw or a clerkship.

The one alternative path I have seen is 5+ years at the Manhattan DA's office with significant trial practice, but even that is pretty rare nowadays.

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:08 pm

Cardboardbox wrote:From what I understand, to break into the USAO SDNY you need to either go the big law or clerkship route, but I was wondering if EDNY was just as unforgiving or if there's some room for lateral movement there outside the traditional routes?

Thanks for any advice.
Yes, there are.

Not every single AUSA at either SDNY or EDNY was a former clerk or a biglaw refugee (whatever "biglaw") may mean. Just telling you from personal experience.

Not saying that it's easy to get into either of those offices absent stellar credentials, but certainly not impossible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:17 pm

EDNY is just as competitive as SDNY. It might be more so, since SDNY has a much higher turnover rate and EDNY folks tend to stay there longer. Combined with fewer AUSA spots than SDNY, the competition for positions is insane.

That said, they have historically been more willing to consider great candidates from a variety of paths. Doesn't mean it's less competitive. Some of their former ADAs were HYS grads with federal clerkships who could have worked at Cravath if they wanted. Some folks come from smaller white-collar boutiques but have exceptional credentials. SDNY is more obsessed with the standard track, but EDNY isn't any less competitive.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”