Biglaw Bonus Watch (2013) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How will bonuses compare to last year?

Up
22%
Same
68%
Down
10%

Total votes: 97

Gold

Re: Biglaw Bonus Watch (2013)

Post by 84651846190 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:03 pm

bone us

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:10 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:bone us
I plan on it, breh.

Biglaw has tempered my expectations about everything. I've become a shell of a once hopeful creature.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:17 pm

FWIW, some of the twitter IPO press mentioned that this was one of the biggest years in the history of ever for debt & equity capital markets work.

Also, those mufti-billion dollar fines banks are hashing out with the feds almost certainly came after a gorillion man-hours of legal work...

HOPE. IT SPRINGS ETERNAL.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:19 pm

I wanna believe. But I just, can't.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:21 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:NY TO 190
I agree.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:22 pm

YNY!

Edit: at this point, I'd take some cupcakes and/or cheap champagne in a disposable plastic flute.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:25 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:NY TO 190
I agree.
TWIST: 190 hours per month to be bonus eligible.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:26 pm

Yay I'm bonus eligible!

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:31 pm

thesealocust wrote:FWIW, some of the twitter IPO press mentioned that this was one of the biggest years in the history of ever for debt & equity capital markets work.

Also, those mufti-billion dollar fines banks are hashing out with the feds almost certainly came after a gorillion man-hours of legal work...

HOPE. IT SPRINGS ETERNAL.

Cream of the crop firms are doing extremely well. Still, no doubt in my mind that Cravath will keep bonuses in line.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:32 pm

I still cannot believe most firms don't give bonuses based on number of hours. Like 50-80 bucks for everything over 2000 hours and people would be going fucking nuts with billing.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:34 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I still cannot believe most firms don't give bonuses based on number of hours. Like 50-80 bucks for everything over 2000 hours and people would be going fucking nuts with billing.
Well, some (many? a lot of?) firms do.

The counterarguments have some weight though. It encourages inefficiency and/or padding and stands to foster a competitive rather than collaborative environment, especially when times are lean. It's also not always up to an associate how hard they work - junior lawyers aren't winning business and can only have so much say in the matters they get on and the pace at which that work comes.

My favorite rumor is that there are firms with ~STEALTH BONUSES~ for high billers. I've heard, through the grape vine (and if you know me, then no, it's not about my firm) that some firms will basically pick up the tab for an expensive vacation if you bill over X hours in the year. It's not cash and they're pretty serious about it being for R&R. Seems like a neat system to me.

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:38 pm

Citi's latest report is that growth in the legal industry has been anemic this year. Although certain firms have done better, I don't think they have done well enough (as an entire firm) to warrant trying to blow other firms out of the water with their bonuses in the name of attracting the best and the brightest.

My prediction is that bonuses will be the same for the lower end of the scale (say years 1-3).

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:42 pm

thesealocust wrote:Yay I'm bonus eligible!
Woof.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:01 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I still cannot believe most firms don't give bonuses based on number of hours. Like 50-80 bucks for everything over 2000 hours and people would be going fucking nuts with billing.

The counterarguments have some weight though. It encourages inefficiency and/or padding and stands to foster a competitive rather than collaborative environment, especially when times are lean. It's also not always up to an associate how hard they work - junior lawyers aren't winning business and can only have so much say in the matters they get on and the pace at which that work comes.

My favorite rumor is that there are firms with ~STEALTH BONUSES~ for high billers. I've heard, through the grape vine (and if you know me, then no, it's not about my firm) that some firms will basically pick up the tab for an expensive vacation if you bill over X hours in the year. It's not cash and they're pretty serious about it being for R&R. Seems like a neat system to me.
I know one that gives a three-figure restaurant gift card if you exceed a certain number of hours in a month.

It's a lifestyle firm, ironically. I've billed more than the threshold ever since I've started...

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:06 am

zweitbester wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

I know one that gives a three-figure restaurant gift card if you exceed a certain number of hours in a month.

It's a lifestyle firm, ironically. I've billed more than the threshold ever since I've started...
I like that type of incentive, but it seems like a restaurant card would get old after awhile. How about just a prepaid spending card?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:06 am

thesealocust wrote:

I grew up broke and am still broke and it will be a while until I am not broke so I am not complaining and I realize that many people in the world have it much much worse -- however, the structure some (a lot of?) firms have where it's Cravath bonus at 2000 hours (fair enough), but then 10k for 2300 and 10k for 2500 is an absurdly weak (dis)incentive. That's $33 an hour assuming you bill literally every minute of that extra 300 hours, which you aren't going to do. Couple that with everything else that sucks in BigLaw (e.g. that you will be billing said hours at 1 am) and it's really just not worth it.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:28 am

run26.2 wrote:
zweitbester wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

I like that type of incentive, but it seems like a restaurant card would get old after awhile. How about just a prepaid spending card?
To be fair, it doesn't get old because associates rarely meet that threshold in a month.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

I grew up broke and am still broke and it will be a while until I am not broke so I am not complaining and I realize that many people in the world have it much much worse -- however, the structure some (a lot of?) firms have where it's Cravath bonus at 2000 hours (fair enough), but then 10k for 2300 and 10k for 2500 is an absurdly weak (dis)incentive. That's $33 an hour assuming you bill literally every minute of that extra 300 hours, which you aren't going to do. Couple that with everything else that sucks in BigLaw (e.g. that you will be billing said hours at 1 am) and it's really just not worth it.
This is a fair argument regarding the short-term tradeoff. However, most people will say that to have any chance of making partner in biglaw (as if there is much of a chance), you need to be amassing high annual billable totals from the time you are a mid-level associate onward.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:25 am

Every year top law school tuition goes higher and base salaries do not adjust for inflation, the more of a losing proposition it is to do biglaw. There will be a massive correction, but not within our associate careers. This is the reality you should accept so for now. If it makes you unhappy, rather than whine for a solution, you should be thinking creatively about making one on your own.

Law students, by their nature, aren't that creative. That's why this whole system has existed for as long as it has and the big change is still a ways away.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:06 pm

^ probably exactly accurate.

My creative solution remains planning to drop out of society and blog about Ron Paul '08~~ from a cabin in the woods.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:22 pm

zweitbester wrote:Every year top law school tuition goes higher and base salaries do not adjust for inflation, the more of a losing proposition it is to do biglaw. There will be a massive correction, but not within our associate careers. This is the reality you should accept so for now. If it makes you unhappy, rather than whine for a solution, you should be thinking creatively about making one on your own.

Law students, by their nature, aren't that creative. That's why this whole system has existed for as long as it has and the big change is still a ways away.
Does starting a Subway franchise count as "creative"?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:28 pm

Maybe biglaw salaries will be flat until it's no longer possible to get $5 footlongs?

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:13 pm

hm...apparently Cahill gave summer bonuses again this year ($10K). How come they don't get more recognition and coverage? wouldn't that shame the Cravaths of the world to up the ante a little more?

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:48 pm

zweitbester wrote:Every year top law school tuition goes higher and base salaries do not adjust for inflation, the more of a losing proposition it is to do biglaw. There will be a massive correction, but not within our associate careers. This is the reality you should accept so for now. If it makes you unhappy, rather than whine for a solution, you should be thinking creatively about making one on your own.

What do you mean by correction? Firms suddenly start paying more? I personally doubt that, but maybe you mean something else.

I would expect that a few would wander away from lockstep every year. But if anything, I think salaries will stratify, and flatten out the bimodal distribution somewhat. A few higher salary entry level positions will be created and many more positions below 160 will emerge.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:31 pm

run26.2 wrote:

What do you mean by correction? Firms suddenly start paying more? I personally doubt that, but maybe you mean something else.

I would expect that a few would wander away from lockstep every year. But if anything, I think salaries will stratify, and flatten out the bimodal distribution somewhat. A few higher salary entry level positions will be created and many more positions below 160 will emerge.
Law firm salaries could still stay the same, but a huge correction in school tuition would still be considered a major raise.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”