Biglaw to... personal injury?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Biglaw to... personal injury?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:15 pm

This will probably come across as strange, but here goes. How can one go from biglaw to personal injury?

I graduated from a T20 school and landed V50 biglaw in a secondary city. I'm in the litigation department and I just started. The thing is, I actually like plaintiffs' litigation. I worked part time at a small plaintiffs' firm during law school in another state and enjoyed the work. I enjoy the idea of actually being a trial lawyer, working directly with clients, and negotiating settlements.

But I've got loans, and passing up biglaw and the chance to pay off my loans was too hard to resist. I'm not really learning much about actual litigation here. Ideally, I'd like to make my way to a decent plaintiffs' personal injury firm in a few years, and then eventually go solo.

How difficult is it to make the jump from general lit in a V50 firm to a decent plaintiffs' firm? Does anyone know what the better PI firms pay in non-major markets?

pjo

Re: Biglaw to... personal injury?

Postby pjo » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:40 pm

I don't see why the switch would be all that difficult, although I do think it will be more difficult the longer you wait after your third year in biglaw. A lot of the better PI firms will be able to pay you a relatively competitive salary as a lateral with strong credentials, although it still won't be as much as what you make even as a first year in biglaw. I think you're going to price yourself out of the market by year 5 or 6 though (your salary at the biglaw firm will just be too high for them to give you anything close to it to lateral).

What type of litigation practice group are you in? There are biglaw firms that do products liability, especially in secondary markets.

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:12 pm

Most of the attys at my firm (Plaintiffs' side PI) are former Big law Lit.

I disagree about pricing out- The top Plaintiffs firms pay a lower base, but with the potential for very big bonuses depending on verdicts/settlements.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:34 pm

kings84_wr wrote:Most of the attys at my firm (Plaintiffs' side PI) are former Big law Lit.

I disagree about pricing out- The top Plaintiffs firms pay a lower base, but with the potential for very big bonuses depending on verdicts/settlements.

OP here. If you don't mind me asking, what is the base like at firms like yours?

I'm in general lit, but we do some products liability and I'm going to try and get staffed on those cases.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This will probably come across as strange, but here goes. How can one go from biglaw to personal injury?

I graduated from a T20 school and landed V50 biglaw in a secondary city. I'm in the litigation department and I just started. The thing is, I actually like plaintiffs' litigation. I worked part time at a small plaintiffs' firm during law school in another state and enjoyed the work. I enjoy the idea of actually being a trial lawyer, working directly with clients, and negotiating settlements.

But I've got loans, and passing up biglaw and the chance to pay off my loans was too hard to resist. I'm not really learning much about actual litigation here. Ideally, I'd like to make my way to a decent plaintiffs' personal injury firm in a few years, and then eventually go solo.

How difficult is it to make the jump from general lit in a V50 firm to a decent plaintiffs' firm? Does anyone know what the better PI firms pay in non-major markets?

I went from BigLaw to Plaintiffs' firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:02 pm

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This will probably come across as strange, but here goes. How can one go from biglaw to personal injury?

What type of plaintiffs' work? How hard was it to land the gig, and do you have any tips for someone looking to eventually do this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kings84_wr wrote:Most of the attys at my firm (Plaintiffs' side PI) are former Big law Lit.

OP here. If you don't mind me asking, what is the base like at firms like yours?

I'm in general lit, but we do some products liability and I'm going to try and get staffed on those cases.

PM for more details

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:16 pm

Accidental Anon above.

yinz

Postby yinz » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:45 pm

pjo wrote:I don't see why the switch would be all that difficult, although I do think it will be more difficult the longer you wait after your third year in biglaw. A lot of the better PI firms will be able to pay you a relatively competitive salary as a lateral with strong credentials, although it still won't be as much as what you make even as a first year in biglaw. I think you're going to price yourself out of the market by year 5 or 6 though (your salary at the biglaw firm will just be too high for them to give you anything close to it to lateral).

Pricing-out won't be the problem to being hired in a PI firm (though it is an individual concern).

The lack of actual, substantive trial experience will. It doesn't behoove PI firms to train you when most already have third years (or can hire similarly situated attorneys) to run the entire show.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:

What type of plaintiffs' work? How hard was it to land the gig, and do you have any tips for someone looking to eventually do this?

Search some of my threads, I've answered this quite a few times already.

Or if you're just lazy, feel free to PM me.

But it's already all out there on the site.

Return to “Legal Employment”