Ties to non-NYC markets

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Sgt Pepper

Ties to non-NYC markets

Postby Sgt Pepper » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:30 pm

Hey guys, apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but I was wondering if you guys could help me with a 1L summer question:

I currently go to a t6 in New York, but want to work in southern California after finishing school.
I went to college in LA, and worked various internships in LA all throughout school.

Basically, my question is whether or not it would be imperative to go back to the west coast for this summer in order to demonstrate that I want California come OCI. Even if it's not necessary, would it likely provide a material boost? Career services wasn't too clear about it so I wanted to ask the TLS sages for advice.

In case this matters, I want:

CA biglaw>NY biglaw>CA non-biglaw>NY non-biglaw>McDonalds

Thanks!

smaug_

Re: Ties to non-NYC markets

Postby smaug_ » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:36 pm

Sgt Pepper wrote:Hey guys, apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but I was wondering if you guys could help me with a 1L summer question:

I currently go to a t6 in New York, but want to work in southern California after finishing school.
I went to college in LA, and worked various internships in LA all throughout school.

Basically, my question is whether or not it would be imperative to go back to the west coast for this summer in order to demonstrate that I want California come OCI. Even if it's not necessary, would it likely provide a material boost? Career services wasn't too clear about it so I wanted to ask the TLS sages for advice.

In case this matters, I want:

CA biglaw>NY biglaw>CA non-biglaw>NY non-biglaw>McDonalds

Thanks!

People at your school will probably be more helpful than TLS. Go find 2Ls/3Ls who worked in California. There should be some sort of California society or something. Go to a meeting and ask them about what's necessary for getting a job in Cali.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:40 pm

Though you should follow-up with career services or 2L/3L, California can be very insular. If you have no California on your resume, you might get questions why-- obviously good grades tend to trump that question.

It might also be useful to work there as a 1L to build a network base by meeting alumni and attorneys in the area.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:50 pm

My own experience suggests it might be helpful to get a 1L job in your desired market, but obviously a lot of other factors are at play.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:41 pm

On the one hand, working in NY this summer might hurt you a little for CA. On the other, working in CA might hurt you a little for NY. It's probably not a game changer either way in terms of how your 1L summer looks to people that interview you. The main thing you would probably lose out on by not going back to CA for 1L would be the opportunity to "hustle" over the summer. Your grades after the semester will probably give you an indication of how important that factor will be for you personally.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:53 pm

goldeneye wrote:Though you should follow-up with career services or 2L/3L, California can be very insular. If you have no California on your resume, you might get questions why-- obviously good grades tend to trump that question.

It might also be useful to work there as a 1L to build a network base by meeting alumni and attorneys in the area.

This. And working in your secondary market as a 1L goes a long way towards making you seem credible when you say you want to practice there

curiousgeorges

Postby curiousgeorges » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:19 pm

I don't know LA, but I have practiced in SF/SV for several years. Here is what I would say if you went to college in the Bay Area, were going to school in New York, wanted to do a 1L summer in New York (or elsewhere), but then wanted a 2L SA in SF/SV:

- given that you have some ties, it will not be a dealbreaker to spend the 1L summer outside the Bay Area;
- it's probably less important to spend the 1L summer in the Bay Area if you are FROM here and have spent much more time here than just college;
- you should be prepared to explain why you didn't want to do your 1L summer out here, but I think this should be doable;
- you may be at a slight disadvantage relative to people who have nothing but CA on their resume;
- for our area, all of the above would matter less if you had a science degree, especially an advanced one, and were interested in IP.

TL;DR: you're probably fine summering elsewhere as a 1L, especially with a good explanation re: a summer opportunity that you wanted to have as a 1L that was not available in SoCal, but the most risk-averse approach would be to return to SoCal for your 1L summer. As I am a lawyer, "It depends" is about the best I can do.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:31 pm

Funny. I've loved California all my life though I never figured out a way to live there without pretty major economic or personal sacrifices. But I have to say, I've never, ever, EVER met a native or long-term Californian to whom it would even occur to ask: "Why do you want to live in California?" The answer, to such Californians, always seemed so obvious: "California is Paradise, of course!"

And in some ways, it is. It really is.

Return to “Legal Employment”