Post Callback---how does everything work now?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Post Callback---how does everything work now?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:30 pm

I just had a callback last week and was told that I would hear something this week. My question is ...how does the process of getting an offer work? How many attorneys are generally on a hiring committee at a large firm? Is it a majority vote type deal ? Or must it be unanimous?

I interviewed with two associates and four partners (including the hiring partner). I think it went pretty well, but maybe not so much with the associates because I did not expect to interview with them. Are associates even on the hiring committee? If not, will their input play a role in the decision? One last question...good or bad sign that my interview went an hour over the anticipated time limit

Neff

Re: Post Callback---how does everything work now?

Postby Neff » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:05 pm

Last edited by Neff on Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just had a callback last week and was told that I would hear something this week. My question is ...how does the process of getting an offer work? How many attorneys are generally on a hiring committee at a large firm? Is it a majority vote type deal ? Or must it be unanimous?

I interviewed with two associates and four partners (including the hiring partner). I think it went pretty well, but maybe not so much with the associates because I did not expect to interview with them. Are associates even on the hiring committee? If not, will their input play a role in the decision? One last question...good or bad sign that my interview went an hour over the anticipated time limit

Generally the process is that all of the reviews go to a hiring committee, who then looks at your paper credentials + post-interview reviews and makes a decision. When that committee meets, who is a member, and the weight they put on interviews varies wildly from firm to firm and potentially even from candidate to candidate. "You'll hear next week" could be true or could be overly optimistic...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:54 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just had a callback last week and was told that I would hear something this week. My question is ...how does the process of getting an offer work? How many attorneys are generally on a hiring committee at a large firm? Is it a majority vote type deal ? Or must it be unanimous?

Generally the process is that all of the reviews go to a hiring committee, who then looks at your paper credentials + post-interview reviews and makes a decision. When that committee meets, who is a member, and the weight they put on interviews varies wildly from firm to firm and potentially even from candidate to candidate. "You'll hear next week" could be true or could be overly optimistic...

Thank you for the response. Guess I will just have to wait and see...I wouldnt say my paper credentials are spectacular, but hopefully enough to get the nod.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:56 pm

Some places hire 1 in 10 people they call back others hire 60%. Nothing has to be wrong with your candidacy to fail to get an offer, often you just have to not be their top choice.

In other words - keep your fingers crossed and good luck, but don't read too much into it if the process gets delayed or things don't pan out.

Return to “Legal Employment”