Part Time 1l internships Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
hellohi

New

Part Time 1l internships

Post by hellohi » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:51 am

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in doing a part time legal internship my 1l summer to supplement a non-legal thing I will be working on.

So far I've seen RA positions as the main way to do this, are there any other areas that are known to have part time internships?
I saw mention of part time clinical work but am not sure exactly what that means, additionally is there a list of judges that are part time instead of full time? What about PI organizations?

sap

Bronze

Re: Part Time 1l internships

Post by sap » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:42 am

Just keep an eye out on your school's symplicity. I ended up being pretty busy this summer so I didn't try to snag them myself, but I saw a lot of small firms seeking 1L/2L summers for part time gigs at 10-25 hrs/wk.

These won't pop up for a couple more months, and from what I observed, were often available in Feb/March. Prepare your resume now, then focus on doing well in those 1L classes. Your academic success during 1L year will probably have more long-term effects on your career than your summer position as a 1L, as it enables you to get a 2L summer position, which is actually a gig you can expect to get a permanent job offer from.

bk1

Diamond

Re: Part Time 1l internships

Post by bk1 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:41 am

Most jobs don't really offer part time 1L summer jobs (outside of RAs and clinics). That said, most of them offer part time positions during the school year (e.g., judges, gov agencies, etc). That means that it's possible that some of them would be willing to work something out where you would work part time since they already have a system in place even if it's not one they tend to use during the summer. I would apply and ask to work part time. You might get some bites, though many will likely say no on the account of them wanting their summer interns to work full time.

Part time clinical work generally means working in one of your school's clinics part time.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”