How often are job offers retracted?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kenosis

How often are job offers retracted?

Postby kenosis » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:45 pm

I've been very lucky, but I'm paranoid.

I have a one-year clerkship and an offer at a mid-sized firm when my clerkship ends.

Does anyone have any idea how often it is that firms retract job offers for economic reasons? Is this pretty rare?

NotMyRealName09

Re: How often are job offers retracted?

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:48 pm

No one knows this, it depends on the firm. Nothing anyone here can say will give you reassurance. There is a fine line between rational concern and paranoia. I say chillax bro, people don't generally make job offers without think hard about it.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:54 pm

I wouldn't worry about it because its not that likely to happen. Someone I know was in this position last year, and she stopped by the firm every 3 months or so to say "hi" get lunch with some people, so they wouldn't forget about her and also so that in case something changed with the firm she would have the earliest possible notice. Everything went as planned, she finished the clerkship and now is at the firm. (It's a satellite big law office--so less than 10 attorneys). If I was in this position this is what I'd do.

deebanger

Postby deebanger » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:08 pm

kenosis wrote:I've been very lucky, but I'm paranoid.

I have a one-year clerkship and an offer at a mid-sized firm when my clerkship ends.

Does anyone have any idea how often it is that firms retract job offers for economic reasons? Is this pretty rare?

Hey! sorry for the noob question. So the judicial clerkships that are done by the students in the summer, is it paid? Thanks!

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:13 pm

deebanger wrote:

Hey! sorry for the noob question. So the judicial clerkships that are done by the students in the summer, is it paid? Thanks!

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=189981

But to answer, a summer position with a judge is an internship, not a clerkship, and it's not paid.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:13 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

deebanger

Postby deebanger » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:32 pm

rad lulz wrote:
deebanger wrote:

Wrong forum

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=189981

Got it, im sorry

Return to “Legal Employment”