Would coming out of the closet help my employment prospects?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273151
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Would coming out of the closet help my employment prospects?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:01 pm

One of my law school friends brought this issue up, and I wanted some more perspective. I am currently clerking for a federal district judge and hope to practice at a biglaw firm in the South (i.e. Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Austin, etc). I think my stats would make me "competitive" for these firms once my clerkship concludes, as I did receive OCI interviews. Due to economy reasons, I did not get an offer from my 2L firm. I'm not "out" to my family and I've only told a select group of my friends. Not sure if/when I will come out or how I would come about it, but I don't see myself involved in the gay lifestyle. Personally, I am very private and don't really think sexual orientation should matter in the employment process. My sexual orientation is not obvious, but I would describe my personality as introverted. I'm not shy and can hold a conversation, but I do not fit the Type-A personalities that predominate among male litigation attorneys, especially at bigger law firms.

My friend suggests it would be more advantageous for me to be "out" on my resume and in my interviews because of my personality. His view is this: a potential employer would be more amenable to a male attorney that is introverted if he was gay. Plus, the firms would probably send out attorneys who are gay or attorneys that were not extreme A-types to the interviews. This is based on my experience interviewing with a couple of the firms - I would do well in the interviews and meet several attorneys who had similar introverted personalities like me. However, at the dinners/happy hours, they would turn into "frat parties" where the guys would bolster on about their female conquests, wrestling matches, and flag football keggers. I would try to keep up, but I typically get lost in these conversations as my contributions are limited. I know I should look for firms that fit my personality, but I've been told that most firms (especially in litigation) are like this. Even still, I have met several people in my interviews that weren't as "aggressive" and I feel I could still do well at these firms. In the end, he thinks being out will help me as a "minority," even at conservative firms.

What is everyone else's view on this? Would being out as gay really improve my chances at getting hired, given my introverted personality? Obviously I never participated in any diversity fair since I was not out. But I would feel guilty trying to take advantage of a minority trait that I was not outwardly displaying and not involved with on a social basis. Still, with legal hiring as it is, I feel that I should do everything possible to maximize my chances at getting interviews and ultimately getting hired.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273151
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Would coming out of the closet help my employment prospects?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:08 pm

There is a diversity boost to being gay, but I don't know how big it is.

I am a heterosexual male, and I don't really perceive people any differently based on their sexuality. If I think somebody is weird I won't think the weirdness is more justified if they are gay. However, I might not think anything of feminine gestures in a male, like crossing legs in a particular manner, if I know they are gay. I am not sure how overarching personality traits will be more tolerated based on your sexuality. My opinion is people will either like to be around you or not like to be around you, and don't really care who you are sexually attracted to.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3224
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Would coming out of the closet help my employment prospects?

Postby ph14 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:One of my law school friends brought this issue up, and I wanted some more perspective. I am currently clerking for a federal district judge and hope to practice at a biglaw firm in the South (i.e. Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Austin, etc). I think my stats would make me "competitive" for these firms once my clerkship concludes, as I did receive OCI interviews. Due to economy reasons, I did not get an offer from my 2L firm. I'm not "out" to my family and I've only told a select group of my friends. Not sure if/when I will come out or how I would come about it, but I don't see myself involved in the gay lifestyle. Personally, I am very private and don't really think sexual orientation should matter in the employment process. My sexual orientation is not obvious, but I would describe my personality as introverted. I'm not shy and can hold a conversation, but I do not fit the Type-A personalities that predominate among male litigation attorneys, especially at bigger law firms.

My friend suggests it would be more advantageous for me to be "out" on my resume and in my interviews because of my personality. His view is this: a potential employer would be more amenable to a male attorney that is introverted if he was gay. Plus, the firms would probably send out attorneys who are gay or attorneys that were not extreme A-types to the interviews. This is based on my experience interviewing with a couple of the firms - I would do well in the interviews and meet several attorneys who had similar introverted personalities like me. However, at the dinners/happy hours, they would turn into "frat parties" where the guys would bolster on about their female conquests, wrestling matches, and flag football keggers. I would try to keep up, but I typically get lost in these conversations as my contributions are limited. I know I should look for firms that fit my personality, but I've been told that most firms (especially in litigation) are like this. Even still, I have met several people in my interviews that weren't as "aggressive" and I feel I could still do well at these firms. In the end, he thinks being out will help me as a "minority," even at conservative firms.

What is everyone else's view on this? Would being out as gay really improve my chances at getting hired, given my introverted personality? Obviously I never participated in any diversity fair since I was not out. But I would feel guilty trying to take advantage of a minority trait that I was not outwardly displaying and not involved with on a social basis. Still, with legal hiring as it is, I feel that I should do everything possible to maximize my chances at getting interviews and ultimately getting hired.


I wouldn't make this big life decision based solely on your employment prospects. And not all, or probably even a majority of male litigation attorneys are what you seem to be thinking them of, especially around the office and with coworkers instead of in court.

Pokemon
Posts: 1857
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Would coming out of the closet help my employment prospects?

Postby Pokemon » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There is a diversity boost to being gay, but I don't know how big it is.

I am a heterosexual male, and I don't really perceive people any differently based on their sexuality. If I think somebody is weird I won't think the weirdness is more justified if they are gay. However, I might not think anything of feminine gestures in a male, like crossing legs in a particular manner, if I know they are gay. I am not sure how overarching personality traits will be more tolerated based on your sexuality. My opinion is people will either like to be around you or not like to be around you, and don't really care who you are sexually attracted to.


I couldn't stop laughing about the "feminine gestures... like crossing legs." It really strikes me that there is such a stupid stereotype in an advanced country like the US and it kind of reminds me of my college friend who felt his d*ck was too big to do that...


As to OP: I agree with the previous poster that I would not make such a big decision solely on the basis of getting a job. But if you are already comfortable with being out, I guess why not now.

PS: a lot of litigation attorneys I know are super-nerdy and not type-a at all. If anything, I think corporate attorneys are more type-a... but this is all anecdotal and stereotypes.

haiking
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:19 pm

Re: Would coming out of the closet help my employment prospects?

Postby haiking » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:41 pm

It might help, but I wouldn't make that decision simply for that reason, because the effect is likely to be marginal. Apart from the type-A nonsense above, LGB persons, compared to racial URMs, are not nearly as drastically under-represented in big-law when you compare both partner and associate ratios to population averages. (this isn't as true for T, but you don't seem to fit in that category).

Additionally, your friend's reasoning is not very good. There are plenty of 'bro' gay men out there. They're not going to be forgiving of lack of fit for non-sex things because outside of 'female conquests,' those things have little do do with being gay.

User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: Would coming out of the closet help my employment prospects?

Postby brotherdarkness » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:42 pm

.
Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Would coming out of the closet help my employment prospects?

Postby sparty99 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:56 pm

No. No one cares that you are gay or will hire you because you are gay. Unless you are applying for the Legal Aid HIV Awareness attorney job or something. There is no gay diversity point. It is a lie. Unless the hiring manager is also gay and thinks you are attractive, then there might be a boost. Otherwise, there's reallly no boost. You might try lavender law next year. To network.

However, you should still come out of the closet. But not for the reasons why you state. It is 2013. There is no need to be in the closet in this day and age. Once you come out of the closet, which is really easy to do, you will be more confident. You won't have to hide who you are to your friends and family. You need to live your life for yourself. You are an adult. Once you come out of the closet you will feel more open to meeting other gays and you won't make redicilous comments about not relating to the "gay lifestyle," when you are factually speaking, gay.

User avatar
El Pollito
party fowl
Posts: 17884
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Would coming out of the closet help my employment prospects?

Postby El Pollito » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:12 pm

Or you could do some self-reflection, find out why people don't like you, and become a socially competent adult, but I guess that would be harder than sticking some GLBT group on your resume.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22813
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Would coming out of the closet help my employment prospects?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:20 pm

haiking wrote:It might help, but I wouldn't make that decision simply for that reason, because the effect is likely to be marginal. Apart from the type-A nonsense above, LGB persons, compared to racial URMs, are not nearly as drastically under-represented in big-law when you compare both partner and associate ratios to population averages. (this isn't as true for T, but you don't seem to fit in that category).

Additionally, your friend's reasoning is not very good. There are plenty of 'bro' gay men out there. They're not going to be forgiving of lack of fit for non-sex things because outside of 'female conquests,' those things have little do do with being gay.

Yeah, to be honest, I think your (OP's) friend's reasoning for why being out would help your employment chances is based largely on stereotypes about both gay and straight people, and therefore not very helpful.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: Would coming out of the closet help my employment prospects?

Postby dowu » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:One of my law school friends brought this issue up, and I wanted some more perspective. I am currently clerking for a federal district judge and hope to practice at a biglaw firm in the South (i.e. Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Austin, etc). I think my stats would make me "competitive" for these firms once my clerkship concludes, as I did receive OCI interviews. Due to economy reasons, I did not get an offer from my 2L firm. I'm not "out" to my family and I've only told a select group of my friends. Not sure if/when I will come out or how I would come about it, but I don't see myself involved in the gay lifestyle. Personally, I am very private and don't really think sexual orientation should matter in the employment process. My sexual orientation is not obvious, but I would describe my personality as introverted. I'm not shy and can hold a conversation, but I do not fit the Type-A personalities that predominate among male litigation attorneys, especially at bigger law firms.

My friend suggests it would be more advantageous for me to be "out" on my resume and in my interviews because of my personality. His view is this: a potential employer would be more amenable to a male attorney that is introverted if he was gay. Plus, the firms would probably send out attorneys who are gay or attorneys that were not extreme A-types to the interviews. This is based on my experience interviewing with a couple of the firms - I would do well in the interviews and meet several attorneys who had similar introverted personalities like me. However, at the dinners/happy hours, they would turn into "frat parties" where the guys would bolster on about their female conquests, wrestling matches, and flag football keggers. I would try to keep up, but I typically get lost in these conversations as my contributions are limited. I know I should look for firms that fit my personality, but I've been told that most firms (especially in litigation) are like this. Even still, I have met several people in my interviews that weren't as "aggressive" and I feel I could still do well at these firms. In the end, he thinks being out will help me as a "minority," even at conservative firms.

What is everyone else's view on this? Would being out as gay really improve my chances at getting hired, given my introverted personality? Obviously I never participated in any diversity fair since I was not out. But I would feel guilty trying to take advantage of a minority trait that I was not outwardly displaying and not involved with on a social basis. Still, with legal hiring as it is, I feel that I should do everything possible to maximize my chances at getting interviews and ultimately getting hired.

Egregious use of the anon feature, chup.

User avatar
chup
Posts: 23645
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: Would coming out of the closet help my employment prospects?

Postby chup » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:28 pm

dowu wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:One of my law school friends brought this issue up, and I wanted some more perspective. I am currently clerking for a federal district judge and hope to practice at a biglaw firm in the South (i.e. Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Austin, etc). I think my stats would make me "competitive" for these firms once my clerkship concludes, as I did receive OCI interviews. Due to economy reasons, I did not get an offer from my 2L firm. I'm not "out" to my family and I've only told a select group of my friends. Not sure if/when I will come out or how I would come about it, but I don't see myself involved in the gay lifestyle. Personally, I am very private and don't really think sexual orientation should matter in the employment process. My sexual orientation is not obvious, but I would describe my personality as introverted. I'm not shy and can hold a conversation, but I do not fit the Type-A personalities that predominate among male litigation attorneys, especially at bigger law firms.

My friend suggests it would be more advantageous for me to be "out" on my resume and in my interviews because of my personality. His view is this: a potential employer would be more amenable to a male attorney that is introverted if he was gay. Plus, the firms would probably send out attorneys who are gay or attorneys that were not extreme A-types to the interviews. This is based on my experience interviewing with a couple of the firms - I would do well in the interviews and meet several attorneys who had similar introverted personalities like me. However, at the dinners/happy hours, they would turn into "frat parties" where the guys would bolster on about their female conquests, wrestling matches, and flag football keggers. I would try to keep up, but I typically get lost in these conversations as my contributions are limited. I know I should look for firms that fit my personality, but I've been told that most firms (especially in litigation) are like this. Even still, I have met several people in my interviews that weren't as "aggressive" and I feel I could still do well at these firms. In the end, he thinks being out will help me as a "minority," even at conservative firms.

What is everyone else's view on this? Would being out as gay really improve my chances at getting hired, given my introverted personality? Obviously I never participated in any diversity fair since I was not out. But I would feel guilty trying to take advantage of a minority trait that I was not outwardly displaying and not involved with on a social basis. Still, with legal hiring as it is, I feel that I should do everything possible to maximize my chances at getting interviews and ultimately getting hired.

Egregious use of the anon feature, chup.

These are the on-topics. Be an unfunny dipshit elsewhere.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273151
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Would coming out of the closet help my employment prospects?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:00 pm

My opinion is that if you were good enough to get a clerkship, you're good enough to get a job with a firm. I don't think every firm is so hyper-bro as you indicated. At least if you came by Silicon Valley with all the patent litigation nerd types, you would feel at home.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273151
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Would coming out of the closet help my employment prospects?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:34 pm

Maybe I'm missing something, but you obviously interview well enough to have landed a 2L SA. You now also have a D.Ct. clerkship, and lots of firms recruit clerks. Assuming you interview well at the end of your clerkship, I would imagine you'll have a good chance of landing BigSouth at the end of your clerkship. The no-offer may be harder to explain, as I imagine firms will ask if you received an offer (even though you wouldn't have been able to accept it yet), but if they no-offered a lot of your SA class it should be possible to adequately address this.

Given what you say about receiving interviews through OCI, I'm guessing you're talking specifically about Southern law firms through OCI (since you obviously had success somewhere through 2L OCI and 3L OCI would make no sense if you had a clerkship lined up), and I wonder if your lack of ties to the specific markets you were targeting isn't what held you back.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Would coming out of the closet help my employment prospects?

Postby kalvano » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:02 pm

El Pollito wrote:Or you could do some self-reflection, find out why people don't like you, and become a socially competent adult, but I guess that would be harder than sticking some GLBT group on your resume.


I read "able to hold a conversation" as being socially competent.

somethingdemure
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:28 pm

Re: Would coming out of the closet help my employment prospects?

Postby somethingdemure » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:10 pm

sparty99 wrote:No. No one cares that you are gay or will hire you because you are gay. Unless you are applying for the Legal Aid HIV Awareness attorney job or something. There is no gay diversity point. It is a lie. Unless the hiring manager is also gay and thinks you are attractive, then there might be a boost. Otherwise, there's reallly no boost. You might try lavender law next year. To network.

However, you should still come out of the closet. But not for the reasons why you state. It is 2013. There is no need to be in the closet in this day and age. Once you come out of the closet, which is really easy to do, you will be more confident. You won't have to hide who you are to your friends and family. You need to live your life for yourself. You are an adult. Once you come out of the closet you will feel more open to meeting other gays and you won't make redicilous comments about not relating to the "gay lifestyle," when you are factually speaking, gay.


This post is crazy ignorant. Of all the things straight people say about being gay, talking about how freeing, confidence-building, and EASY it is to come out is just the worst. Honestly, if you had to come out yourself and had an ounce of self-awareness, you'd recognize that coming out is an intensely personal, life-changing event that could never accurately be described as EASY.

As for OP, there are way better reasons to come out than your career. I'm happy being out at work, but I'm in one of the super liberal major markets; being homophobic in professional settings is gauche, so the homophobes generally keep their mouths shut. It's true that some firms will want to add gay lawyers to beef up the numbers they report, but it's also true that antigay discrimination is real, and not illegal in most states. And honestly, it's not hard at all to find white male gay lawyers; if anything we're vastly overrepresented in biglaw. So I think at best coming out is a wash with respect to your career, and your personal life, family situation, and future plans should determine when and how you come out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273151
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Would coming out of the closet help my employment prospects?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:28 pm

somethingdemure wrote:
sparty99 wrote:No. No one cares that you are gay or will hire you because you are gay. Unless you are applying for the Legal Aid HIV Awareness attorney job or something. There is no gay diversity point. It is a lie. Unless the hiring manager is also gay and thinks you are attractive, then there might be a boost. Otherwise, there's reallly no boost. You might try lavender law next year. To network.

However, you should still come out of the closet. But not for the reasons why you state. It is 2013. There is no need to be in the closet in this day and age. Once you come out of the closet, which is really easy to do, you will be more confident. You won't have to hide who you are to your friends and family. You need to live your life for yourself. You are an adult. Once you come out of the closet you will feel more open to meeting other gays and you won't make redicilous comments about not relating to the "gay lifestyle," when you are factually speaking, gay.


This post is crazy ignorant. Of all the things straight people say about being gay, talking about how freeing, confidence-building, and EASY it is to come out is just the worst. Honestly, if you had to come out yourself and had an ounce of self-awareness, you'd recognize that coming out is an intensely personal, life-changing event that could never accurately be described as EASY.

As for OP, there are way better reasons to come out than your career. I'm happy being out at work, but I'm in one of the super liberal major markets; being homophobic in professional settings is gauche, so the homophobes generally keep their mouths shut. It's true that some firms will want to add gay lawyers to beef up the numbers they report, but it's also true that antigay discrimination is real, and not illegal in most states. And honestly, it's not hard at all to find white male gay lawyers; if anything we're vastly overrepresented in biglaw. So I think at best coming out is a wash with respect to your career, and your personal life, family situation, and future plans should determine when and how you come out.

That's probably true, but an employment boost would be a big motivator for most people especially if they kinda wanted to anyway. It's hard to relate because a sexual preference seems like such a small thing to someone's identity, but carries such a stigma. Any kind of net positive to employment would be somewhat of a motivator. Unfortunately, my admitting I like big butts and cannot lie does not help my employment prospects. To be fair, people weren't executed throughout history for liking big butts and not lying about it.

I guess what I'd say is if you are gay and some people won't like you just because of that, wouldn't you want to tell them to go F themselves? On the other hand, this seems like easier said than done and how would it come up organically if you weren't part of some organization? My understanding is most of the boost of being in the homosexual community are the diversity fairs that have since passed.

But it can't hurt by law (Idk if this is true in reality), so assuming the firms follow that law, it can only have no impact or help. Therefore, it seems to be parateo efficient?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Would coming out of the closet help my employment prospects?

Postby kalvano » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
But it can't hurt by law (Idk if this is true in reality), so assuming the firms follow that law, it can only have no impact or help. Therefore, it seems to be parateo efficient?


This reeks of 0L. Being gay isn't a protected class save a few states, and I don't think any of the Southern states OP mentioned do so.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273151
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Would coming out of the closet help my employment prospects?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:31 pm

Isn't it under The Civil Rights of 1964? This isn't a con law q, or a state passing a law harmful to gay people. Not hiring somebody juat because they have Cancer isn't strict scrutiny either, but that's under the Civil Rights Act?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18407
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Would coming out of the closet help my employment prospects?

Postby bk1 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Isn't it under The Civil Rights of 1964? This isn't a con law q, or a state passing a law harmful to gay people. Not hiring somebody juat because they have Cancer isn't strict scrutiny either, but that's under the Civil Rights Act?

Maybe you should read Title VII.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273151
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Would coming out of the closet help my employment prospects?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:39 pm

bk1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Isn't it under The Civil Rights of 1964? This isn't a con law q, or a state passing a law harmful to gay people. Not hiring somebody juat because they have Cancer isn't strict scrutiny either, but that's under the Civil Rights Act?

Maybe you should read Title VII.

Courts have applied it to sexual orientation....

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Would coming out of the closet help my employment prospects?

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Isn't it under The Civil Rights of 1964? This isn't a con law q, or a state passing a law harmful to gay people. Not hiring somebody juat because they have Cancer isn't strict scrutiny either, but that's under the Civil Rights Act?

Maybe you should read Title VII.

Courts have applied it to sexual orientation....

Unless things have changed drastically in the last 2.5 years, the overwhelming consensus of the courts is that Title VII does NOT apply to sexual orientation.

NotMyRealName09
Posts: 1394
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: Would coming out of the closet help my employment prospects?

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:One of my law school friends brought this issue up, and I wanted some more perspective. I am currently clerking for a federal district judge and hope to practice at a biglaw firm in the South (i.e. Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Austin, etc). I think my stats would make me "competitive" for these firms once my clerkship concludes, as I did receive OCI interviews. Due to economy reasons, I did not get an offer from my 2L firm. I'm not "out" to my family and I've only told a select group of my friends. Not sure if/when I will come out or how I would come about it, but I don't see myself involved in the gay lifestyle. Personally, I am very private and don't really think sexual orientation should matter in the employment process. My sexual orientation is not obvious, but I would describe my personality as introverted. I'm not shy and can hold a conversation, but I do not fit the Type-A personalities that predominate among male litigation attorneys, especially at bigger law firms.

My friend suggests it would be more advantageous for me to be "out" on my resume and in my interviews because of my personality. His view is this: a potential employer would be more amenable to a male attorney that is introverted if he was gay. Plus, the firms would probably send out attorneys who are gay or attorneys that were not extreme A-types to the interviews. This is based on my experience interviewing with a couple of the firms - I would do well in the interviews and meet several attorneys who had similar introverted personalities like me. However, at the dinners/happy hours, they would turn into "frat parties" where the guys would bolster on about their female conquests, wrestling matches, and flag football keggers. I would try to keep up, but I typically get lost in these conversations as my contributions are limited. I know I should look for firms that fit my personality, but I've been told that most firms (especially in litigation) are like this. Even still, I have met several people in my interviews that weren't as "aggressive" and I feel I could still do well at these firms. In the end, he thinks being out will help me as a "minority," even at conservative firms.

What is everyone else's view on this? Would being out as gay really improve my chances at getting hired, given my introverted personality? Obviously I never participated in any diversity fair since I was not out. But I would feel guilty trying to take advantage of a minority trait that I was not outwardly displaying and not involved with on a social basis. Still, with legal hiring as it is, I feel that I should do everything possible to maximize my chances at getting interviews and ultimately getting hired.


No. You read too much TLS. What I mean to say is - who cares? Skill is what matters. If you're concerned that you're not bro enough, maybe consider those bros are douchers and your life would suck if that is how you measure your worth or career prospects. You don't like them, so you don't want to join that clique.

Let me tell you this - you don't write like an introvert. You might be surprised, you might be better at bullshitting then you think. I was. I think you're hyper sensitive to not being discovered, but (1) they know, guys know, and (2) if they care (in any negative sense), you don't want to be their friends.

You're straight up fed employee clerking for Art. III judge? Ride your credentials. Don't rely on being the out guy. If that's your thing, ok. But it's not, be you, find a job where they like you for your personality. Let people find out you're gay in the normal course, because if they are worth knowing, they shouldn't give a shit and probably knew.
Last edited by NotMyRealName09 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Would coming out of the closet help my employment prospects?

Postby kalvano » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Isn't it under The Civil Rights of 1964? This isn't a con law q, or a state passing a law harmful to gay people. Not hiring somebody juat because they have Cancer isn't strict scrutiny either, but that's under the Civil Rights Act?

Maybe you should read Title VII.

Courts have applied it to sexual orientation....


Is this anonymous because you're dumb? It's called employment at will, and unless it's a specifically enumerated protected class, an employer can not hire you or fire you for any reason they want to, fair or not, rational or not, intelligent or not.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22813
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Would coming out of the closet help my employment prospects?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Courts have applied it to sexual orientation....

Courts have applied it to gender roles/expectations. You can't fire a woman for not conforming to accepted gender roles by being too butch or a man for being too effeminate. Courts have not applied it to actual sexual orientation.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273151
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Would coming out of the closet help my employment prospects?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:50 am

OP here:

Thanks for the replies thus far. I have several reasons for not being out, but the reasons are beyond employment reasons, so I'd rather not go off on that tangent.

The main reason why my friend brought up the issue was because of what he knew behind the scenes. I interviewed at his firm and received very favorable reviews from the partners I interviewed with. In the end, they went with someone with similar credentials, but acted like one of the "bros" and was liked more by the other male associates in that group. My friend talked to the partner who was interviewing and he told him that based on my writing and resume, I was probably a stronger candidate. However, the partner was not sure if I would as good with clients and in the court room. When my friend asked about an associate with a quiet disposition who was recently hired and did well at the firm, the partner said it was okay that he was introverted since he was gay. According to the partner, clients would not expect the gay associate to "keep up with the bros" and he could work with female associates and clients.

I realize that I may have dodged a bullet working with someone with this mindset, but I am not convinced that other partners at other firms have similar views (whether they are outward with these opinions or not). With the legal employment market as it is, getting hired really is a game of inches. From what I have been told, I was the second choice candidate at a couple of 3L OCI interviews, but struck out in the end.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.