Partner Heavy Firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Partner Heavy Firm

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:28 am

Anon as this could out me.

What will it mean for me working in a partner heavy firm? Anything at all in terms of work, career prospects at that firm, etc.

Essentially the firm has about a 2:1 partner to associate ratio and has two tiers of partnership. Everyone going to partner first becomes income then after a period of time then they become equity.

Just didn't know if this meant anything. I'm used to the Jones Day model where it's the opposite and almost a 1:2 ratio depending on the office.

Anonymous User

Re: Partner Heavy Firm

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:31 am

Also curious. I will be going in as a SA to a firm with a 3:1 ratio. Can't tell if that means they really care about their people and make them all partners or if it's an even more cutthroat environment because of that.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Essentially the firm has about a 2:1 partner to associate ratio and has two tiers of partnership. Everyone going to partner first becomes income then after a period of time then they become equity.

Are you talking about Kirkland? (Not sure why you need the double anon.)

Nobody thinks that the lower group of Kirkland "partners" are partners. They're just glorified associates.

Could be different if you're talking about a small firm that only brings in a small number of associates. I can't speak meaningfully to that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:38 am

hibiki wrote:Could be different if you're talking about a small firm that only brings in a small number of associates. I can't speak meaningfully to that.

I'm the second anon (different from the first) and this is what I'm talking about. Small as in 100-250 attorneys across the firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:53 am

OP here.

I am at a firm different (I think?) from the second anon. The office is about 150-200 attorneys, the firm around 600 attorneys.

The summer class size for this office is about 3-6.

Similar to second anon I wonder if they actually care about the people there or not. Or maybe this means crap. But I am not familiar with this type of setup.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:01 pm

To both anons

This is a bit hard to answer in the abstract without knowing more details, like the practice area, location, etc.

Feel free to pm me if want, but many times this can be a good sign if the firm is partner heavy as it shows it's not "up and out"

As far as work goes, who cares. Do good work and you'll be rewarded.

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:14 pm

IDK. Maybe it's just been my experience, but partners are heavy at many firms. It might be all the sitting or they're rolling in too much for their appearance to matter.

Return to “Legal Employment”