Conveying Your Book of Business

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Conveying Your Book of Business

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:04 pm

I have been at my current firm for a relatively short period of time (less than 1 year) and I am looking to move firms. I have a pretty decent book of biz that would likely move along with me wherever I go (professional contacts that I have cultivated a close relationship with). What is the best way to convey this information to potential employers? Do I address it in a cover letter or do I bring it up in an interview? I think I could get more interviews if I somehow conveyed it on the front end.

Old Gregg

Re: Conveying Your Book of Business

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have been at my current firm for a relatively short period of time (less than 1 year) and I am looking to move firms. I have a pretty decent book of biz that would likely move along with me wherever I go (professional contacts that I have cultivated a close relationship with). What is the best way to convey this information to potential employers? Do I address it in a cover letter or do I bring it up in an interview? I think I could get more interviews if I somehow conveyed it on the front end.

Your headhunter should be doing this for you.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:43 pm

Does "professional contacts" really count as a "book of business"? It doesn't to me. When I think of a "book of business" I think of actual paying clients that will follow you.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:44 pm

kalvano wrote:Does "professional contacts" really count as a "book of business"? It doesn't to me. When I think of a "book of business" I think of actual paying clients that will follow you.

More along the lines of this. A book of business needs to be "portable" and "quantifiable." Telling a firm,"I have contacts," doesn't imply that it will materialize into revenue.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:59 pm

Sorry, should have been more direct. Yes these are real, live, living breathing clients that need work done regularly.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:11 pm

Then I think you want to calculate how much the book of business is worth to the firm and mention that somewhere. Maybe something like "I have experience with X, Y, and Z, and have a $125,000 portable book of business in that area." I'm sure other people on here are more experienced with that type of thing, but a lot of job postings I saw wanted a specific dollar amount that the book is valued at.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:14 pm

Again, this should be something done through a headhunter.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have been at my current firm for a relatively short period of time (less than 1 year) and I am looking to move firms. I have a pretty decent book of biz that would likely move along with me wherever I go (professional contacts that I have cultivated a close relationship with). What is the best way to convey this information to potential employers? Do I address it in a cover letter or do I bring it up in an interview? I think I could get more interviews if I somehow conveyed it on the front end.

Please ignore as this is off topic, but when you get a chance: can you tell us law students how you got a book of biz in less than a year? I know there is no magic key, but tips and overall attitude would be great...

(P.S., when the truth is great, there is nothing more powerful than brutal honesty. I'd put it in the email that you send to the managing partner...)

Return to “Legal Employment”