Plaintiff's Firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Plaintiff's Firm

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:37 pm

Without giving away too much info about me.

I was borderline biglaw. Had a decent amount of interviews, no offers. Tried mass mail career fairs etc. nothing.

Got an interview callback and offer at a small 20-50 lawyer plaintiff's firm. Pay would be much worse than biglaw, much better than gov. They do mostly automobile accident and medical malpractice. Within that most of the job they said is surviving motions for summary judgment and negotiating with insurance companies, although they do take a decent amount of cases to trial. They don't hire any 2ls back after graduation. The "normal" career path for an associate is 2L summer-trial level clerkship-DA's office-firm. The firm does have quite a few 8 figure settlements and jury awards. The actual associate pay is supposed to be on par with prosecutor pay, but with disgusting end of year bonuses.

Have until Monday morning to let them know if I accepted. Don't have many other options now. Will graduate with around 80k in debt maybe less, thanks to a full ride. I really don't like the idea that I would be working with absolutely no hope of returning after graduation, it means that accepting the summer job isn't really changing my long term job situation. Not sure what to do.

guyplus
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:16 am

Re: Plaintiff's Firm

Postby guyplus » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:53 pm

If you have no other offers at this stage of the game, then go ahead and accept while letting them know you would like to split but aren't sure b/c you're still waiting for the interview process to run its course. Keep looking for a firm that will hire you with permanent employment expectations and accept that when you find it. If the no-permanent-expectation firm says they're not OK with you splitting, still accept the offer. Then, when you get an offer from another firm with permanent expectations, inform them of your offer and that you'd like to split. If they refuse to allow it, tell them they're ridiculous for asking law students to commit their full summer to a firm that isn't going to hire them permanently and peace out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Plaintiff's Firm

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:19 pm

Ok. Decided I can't not take the offer. Sent them an email basically saying that I would like to accept and possibly split the summer. I explained that it is still early in the interviewing process and that I would like to split the summer with a firm that would offer me a position after I graduate.

Plans on how to address this? I mean I basically have to look for a firm that will let me split the summer now. I'm not sure what to do.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7305
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Plaintiff's Firm

Postby Danger Zone » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:38 pm

What? I would accept and not say anything about splitting. It sets the tone in a bad way. If you get a better offer, then you can just renege on this one. Keep it simple and do what's best for you.

User avatar
manofjustice
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Re: Plaintiff's Firm

Postby manofjustice » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:55 pm

Danger Zone wrote:What? I would accept and not say anything about splitting. It sets the tone in a bad way. If you get a better offer, then you can just renege on this one. Keep it simple and do what's best for you.


TIC.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Plaintiff's Firm

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:56 pm

Absolutely cannot in any way shape or form renege. A connection helped me get the job.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Plaintiff's Firm

Postby hephaestus » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Absolutely cannot in any way shape or form renege. A connection helped me get the job.

This is not your connections career. This is yours. Don't sabotage it for the sake of decorum.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: Plaintiff's Firm

Postby Jsa725 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:03 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Plaintiff's Firm

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:50 pm

Let me clarify. Last summer I interned for a Judge. I emailed the Judge asking for advice as OCI and my job search wasn't going well. The Judge recommended I apply (and I believe he might have put in a good word for me) to this firm as they were in his opinion, amazing litigators.

Do you guys still think I should renege? I mean I feel like it would be burning bridges I don't want to. Also the pay and hours aren't that bad. They said pretty much no one works past 5, unless there is some deadline or something super important. Pay would be $1,250 a week. The only downside IMO, and it's a pretty big downside, is that they don't hire recent graduates, minimum of ~3 years post law school work.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Plaintiff's Firm

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Let me clarify. Last summer I interned for a Judge. I emailed the Judge asking for advice as OCI and my job search wasn't going well. The Judge recommended I apply (and I believe he might have put in a good word for me) to this firm as they were in his opinion, amazing litigators.

Do you guys still think I should renege? I mean I feel like it would be burning bridges I don't want to. Also the pay and hours aren't that bad. They said pretty much no one works past 5, unless there is some deadline or something super important. Pay would be $1,250 a week. The only downside IMO, and it's a pretty big downside, is that they don't hire recent graduates, minimum of ~3 years post law school work.


So long as you said you'd "possibly like to split" I don't see an issue here. If they haven't said explicitly that you can't do a full summer, you're fine. I've had no problem being up front with two summer employers who both wanted all of my summer initially who both conceded a split. One was a plaintiff firm with a 50% offer rate. I think they're much more understanding since they're typically "fight for the little guy" liberal types. I really think it's bad advice to not acknowledge your hope of splitting when the alternative is burning a bridge. Even if they force a split because of it, is it worth 6 weeks of income during one summer to not burn a bridge? Probably not if you don't find a second gig. Definitely yes if you do, even if it doesn't pay so long as it has a potential for permanent employment.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Plaintiff's Firm

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Let me clarify. Last summer I interned for a Judge. I emailed the Judge asking for advice as OCI and my job search wasn't going well. The Judge recommended I apply (and I believe he might have put in a good word for me) to this firm as they were in his opinion, amazing litigators.

Do you guys still think I should renege? I mean I feel like it would be burning bridges I don't want to. Also the pay and hours aren't that bad. They said pretty much no one works past 5, unless there is some deadline or something super important. Pay would be $1,250 a week. The only downside IMO, and it's a pretty big downside, is that they don't hire recent graduates, minimum of ~3 years post law school work.


Definitely yes if you do, even if it doesn't pay so long as it has a potential for permanent employment.


Thinking about it, now that I actually have some money coming in I can take an unpaid job, pretty much ANY job so long as it will lead to permanent employment. It does open up my opportunities quite a bit.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.