Does Taking a Non-Biglaw 2L SA Prevent Biglaw Later?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Does Taking a Non-Biglaw 2L SA Prevent Biglaw Later?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:46 pm

Hey all,

I've been sitting on a Mid-law offer from my T14's secondary market where I do not want to stay. It's the only offer I have, and in the meantime I've struck out with my biglaw CBs. I've mass mailed, but I don't really think anything will materialize from it this late in the game.

The firm I have the offer with pays much, much less than market and a permanent job there after law school would mean I would be paying loans back for another decade than I would at 160k. Since it is the only offer I have at this point, I plan on taking the offer soon, but I'm hesitant because I feel like I'm sort of locking myself in with it. I know biglaw for this summer is not really possible anymore, but if I take this position, am I preventing myself from having a shot at biglaw hiring as a 3L or otherwise?

Would appreciate anyone's input, thanks!

rickgrimes69

Re: Does Taking a Non-Biglaw 2L SA Prevent Biglaw Later?

Postby rickgrimes69 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:48 pm

You can always try for 3L OCI, but I hear it's a bit of a crapshoot. What school / market?

EtherOne

Postby EtherOne » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:04 pm

Depends on your school/grades, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:10 pm

Median at MVP, K-JD, typical WE

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:11 am

Working at a firm, even though it's smaller, is not going to prevent you from getting biglaw at 3L OCI. It's also probably not going to get you biglaw at 3L OCI, but neither will just about any non-biglaw option. You more or less missed the boat on that one, barring some very good fortune. If you have nothing else, this firm is probably your best bet at being employed as a lawyer (assuming they have a good offer rate).

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:13 am

It did for me, but that's because I was at cwsl. Being top 1% wasn't enough to overcome the lack of a 2l oci

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:18 am

The paid gig is probably the best thing you can do for you biglaw chances. Work your butt off. Network. Make strong friendships at the firm. Meet some folks at the bar association. Etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:09 pm

I know someone who was at MVP. Struck out at 2L OCI, got SA at a random midlaw firm, killed 2L and got V15 at 3L OCI. Take your offer, put it out of your mind and hit the books. That's the only way. It's not a sure bet by any means but it happens so you might as well get started by increasing your odds.

Return to “Legal Employment”