New York Patent Prosecution

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

New York Patent Prosecution

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:29 pm

Is there such a thing as patent prosecution in New York? And if so who are the leaders?

Anonymous User

Re: New York Patent Prosecution

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:57 pm

Yes, although, often at the boutique firms these days as opposed to more general practice firms. Fitzpatrick is one of, if not the top imo. Kenyon & Kenyon does a substantial amount of pros as well. For bigger GP firms, both Baker Botts and Cadwalader have attorneys with prosecution practices in NYC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:32 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yes, although, often at the boutique firms these days as opposed to more general practice firms. Fitzpatrick is one of, if not the top imo. Kenyon & Kenyon does a substantial amount of pros as well. For bigger GP firms, both Baker Botts and Cadwalader have attorneys with prosecution practices in NYC.

Kenyon told me that you can't do prosecution there as a career (billing rate problems). Fitz is life sciences. I have heard Fish has a substantial pros group in NY. I probably should have prefaced this with CS type work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Kenyon told me that you can't do prosecution there as a career (billing rate problems). Fitz is life sciences. I have heard Fish has a substantial pros group in NY. I probably should have prefaced this with CS type work.

Fish's pros in CS stuff is mostly in CA or Boston. I think the only pros they do in NY is life sciences based and not CS.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Kenyon told me that you can't do prosecution there as a career (billing rate problems). Fitz is life sciences. I have heard Fish has a substantial pros group in NY. I probably should have prefaced this with CS type work.

Fish's pros in CS stuff is mostly in CA or Boston. I think the only pros they do in NY is life sciences based and not CS.

So I am stuck with having to go to CA (silicon valley) if I want to do CS prosecution?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:08 pm

I think if you want to do only prosecution full time with a CS background you should be flexible. Take a look at Cadwalader, Baker Botts, and Greenberg Traurig to see if their NY offices have full time pros practices in your field. Ropes may do some pros too in NY but again I think it might be life sciences. Big firms are moving towards mostly litigation and smaller pros boutiques are handling more and more of the prosecution work.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:11 am

Billing rate from NY is very problematic for pros work. I went to the Loyola IP job fair, and you'll encounter some NY firms that will have you do pros work, but they aren't as common and in general, it sounds like a tough life.

I will expand: patent pros work is VERY budget oriented. Often a company will have a set amount of money you can spend on a patent application. In order to afford to pay NY market to an associate, the NY firm will have to bill you north of $300. In that range, you are competing with partners at well established firms. Those partners will provide better efficiency for that cost. We aren't just talking about people at smaller firms, either. For example, I think a lot of pros work for K&L Gates gets shipped out to Pittsburgh for the lower billing rates.
Partners who focus mostly on pros are constantly fighting this. North of $400 or so an hour, clients start to wonder if their budgets can withstand the rates, and north of $500, the client drop off is substantial. NY firms feel this pressure, so pros work there is sometimes difficult to justify.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yes, although, often at the boutique firms these days as opposed to more general practice firms. Fitzpatrick is one of, if not the top imo. Kenyon & Kenyon does a substantial amount of pros as well. For bigger GP firms, both Baker Botts and Cadwalader have attorneys with prosecution practices in NYC.

Kenyon told me that you can't do prosecution there as a career (billing rate problems). Fitz is life sciences. I have heard Fish has a substantial pros group in NY. I probably should have prefaced this with CS type work.

Fitzpatrick has prosecutors in NY that are not life sciences.

Cooper Dunham also does prosecution though I'm not sure what areas. WilmerHale has "Core IP" in NY which is more or less prosecution.

Return to “Legal Employment”