District Attorney to Big Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

District Attorney to Big Law

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:36 pm

Although I am passionate about pursuing and making a career out of prosecution, I wanted people's thoughts on the "transferability" to big law after 5 years in a high profile DA office.

Does this type of work look goods to Big Law firms? Any thoughts would be great...

jbiresq

Re: District Attorney to Big Law

Postby jbiresq » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Although I am passionate about pursuing and making a career out of prosecution, I wanted people's thoughts on the "transferability" to big law after 5 years in a high profile DA office.

Does this type of work look goods to Big Law firms? Any thoughts would be great...

I have seen a lot of DA to Assistant U.S. Attorney. Theoretically you could go to biglaw from there. But straight from DA to Biglaw doesn't seem like it happens much at all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:24 pm

Depends what you do at the DA's office. I've heard of people who did a lot of financial/white collar stuff at Manhattan DA who could take that to the defense side in the private sector.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:35 pm

I've seen people at my top20 largest city in America DA office go to the defense litigation side before.

Most just flip and go to the defense bar.

I can't imagine working in the private sector after working the DA hours. Would be a miserable shock.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've seen people at my top20 largest city in America DA office go to the defense litigation side before.

Most just flip and go to the defense bar.

I can't imagine working in the private sector after working the DA hours. Would be a miserable shock.

Not all DA Offices are "good" hours...some work you a ton. But I agree, most what I see is from DA to defense bar.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:50 pm

I've seen several people at the Manhattan DA do this to pretty decent biglaw firms (boies, kasowitz, Quinn, wilmerhale, and a few others if an think of off hand). Many come straight from the trial division though others from economic crimes and investigations.

Return to “Legal Employment”