Interview at callback with screener interviewer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Interview at callback with screener interviewer

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:05 pm

I have a callback tomorrow, and one of the interviews is with the same person who did the screener. Has anyone had this before? How should I approach this interview given that we've already talked about all of the basic interview stuff?

redsox550

Re: Interview at callback with screener interviewer

Post by redsox550 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:38 pm

Never heard of that before. I assume its a good thing (since the screener dude obviously liked you). I did have a screener with the same dude that gave me a mock interview (at a program setup through my school) and I recommend you A. prepare some new questions, possibly incorporating things you discussed in past interview (that shows a skill of being able to listen, apply ect.)

Also be prepared to talk about something in great detail that you havnt discussed with the person yet, something on your resume or this might even include your writing sample, or he might even just be like, lets talk about sports/current events.

Beachbum89

Bronze

Post by Beachbum89 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:41 pm

This happened to me at one of my callbacks. They had to make a last minute schedule change and the person that filled in was the one who did my screener. I thought the screener had gone really well with this person but felt that the callback with that person was just ok--it wasn't bad but since we'd talked about a lot before it was more work getting things going. Just be prepared to talk about something you haven't talked about with that person.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:42 pm

Just think of some new questions. There might not have been anyone else available to interview you, so they had to double-dip.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just think of some new questions. There might not have been anyone else available to interview you, so they had to double-dip.
OP here: this may or may not be relevant, but it's the senior hiring partner.

I'm hoping we can just shoot the shit for 15 minutes (last interview before lunch and half the length of the others).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:53 pm

Was the screener at OCI? If not, he/she may have requested to be on your interview schedule to "validate" his/her thoughts about you from the screening interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just think of some new questions. There might not have been anyone else available to interview you, so they had to double-dip.
OP here: this may or may not be relevant, but it's the senior hiring partner.

I'm hoping we can just shoot the shit for 15 minutes (last interview before lunch and half the length of the others).
So the interview with the Hiring Partner/screener interviewer is only 15 minutes? They just slipped that in there so you could meet him/her again and they can sell the firm to you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Was the screener at OCI? If not, he/she may have requested to be on your interview schedule to "validate" his/her thoughts about you from the screening interview.
No it was a phone interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Was the screener at OCI? If not, he/she may have requested to be on your interview schedule to "validate" his/her thoughts about you from the screening interview.
No it was a phone interview.
I would take this as a good thing. Otherwise they would pawn you off on someone else.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

simpleAs

New

Post by simpleAs » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:56 am

My OCI screener, a partner, was on the CB schedule e-mailed to me. Ended up being with a different partner.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:39 am

Also, it'd be good to ask a few questions that refer back to stuff you talked about initially. That way it shows you listened and remembered the conversation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:39 am

This kind of happened to me. My last callback interview was with an associate who I met/spoke at length with in the firm's hospitality suite after my screener. Personally, I saw this as a benefit. The associate and I had a great conversation in the hospitality suite, so I knew that I was already on his good side. The callback was great- the associate was basically like, "Well, we have already talked a bunch. But your resume says you studied abroad in Barcelona; I want to hear about that!" We shot the shit for a bit and then he told me about how much he liked the firm. Ended up getting an offer, so I think you should see this as a good thing. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:34 pm

OP here:

Thanks for the insight everyone. The interviews all went pretty well and his was just sort of a closing up, "do you have any new questions for me since last time" kind of thing. This wait is going to kill me though: they told me November 1.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”