Use a contact at a firm?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Use a contact at a firm?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:36 pm

Somewhat of a long story:

Interviewed (CB) with a firm a year ago. Didn't get the job. The firm is now advertising for a position I would like to apply for. There is an official channel to send in my materials. But I believe I made a very good connection with one of the attorneys I met with last year (during the CB). I would like to notify him of my application, just in case he can get it to the top of the pile, or something like that.

Should I send in my materials only through the official channel? Should I send my stuff to the attorney I made a good connection with? Both?

Thanks for the thoughts.

gnuwheels

Re: Use a contact at a firm?

Postby gnuwheels » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:38 pm

Send your materials through the official channel, and send a note to your contact letting him know you applied and reaffirming your interested in the firm, how great it was, how much of a pleasure it was to talk to him, blah blah etc etc. But don't send your materials to him.

Anonymous User

Re: Use a contact at a firm?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:01 am

Send to both, via email. NEVER hard copy.

Return to “Legal Employment”