Applying to small-medium county DA jobs w/o connections

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Applying to small-medium county DA jobs w/o connections

Postby jumpingjack » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:31 pm

Hello, this is my first post here (I have lurked) so take it easy on me.

I want to be a county prosecutor after law school in Illinois, however, most of the offices in Illinois (except Cook County) will not hire pre-bar. I had an OCI with Cook but I will not learn if I made it to the second round until late November/early December.

I interned my 1L summer at a medium-sized DA's office, and 711'd at a largish one this past 2L summer. I made some good connections at both and got some great experience, especially as a 711. I think that if they have openings after I pass the bar that I would be a top contender, but as you know they may not have openings or they might go with someone else.

Thus, I want to reach out to small-medium county DA offices (not the tiny ones that only have a couple part-time prosecutors) that I have not interned at and don't have connections, in the event that I strike out with Cook/the other two offices.

I was wondering when you all thought the best way to reach out to those types of offices, and when I should do so. Perhaps the best way is to just send in whatever materials that they ask for, but I'm also thinking that it might be beneficial to call or e-mail before sending my resume/application/whatever else they want.

Thanks for any help!

Return to “Legal Employment”