What's a good callback --> offer rate

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What's a good callback --> offer rate

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:13 pm

I'm wondering if i am a bad interviewer or if my experience is typical.

After getting tons of OCI and mass mail dings, I had 7 callbacks in 2 Southern markets (NC and GA). I got 2 offers but one of them I had a really solid connection with, so i don't know if that counts. All of the places i interviewed with have really small class sizes (3 to 12 SAs). I'm from GA originally so this market is home.

Like many southern firms, both firms i got offers with have less than 100% offer rates. Just based on odds, I think it is entirely possible that i get no-offered. Setting aside the firm that I had a connection with, is going 1 for 6 normal???

(This is *absolutely* not a humblebrag. I'm grateful to have a summer offer. I suspect that i'm a not a great interviewer, though, and I'm asking this in anticipation of 3L OCI/job search (it it comes to that)).

FattyMcFatFat

Re: What's a good callback --> offer rate

Postby FattyMcFatFat » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm wondering if i am a bad interviewer or if my experience is typical.

After getting tons of OCI and mass mail dings, I had 7 callbacks in 2 Southern markets (NC and GA). I got 2 offers but one of them I had a really solid connection with, so i don't know if that counts. All of the places i interviewed with have really small class sizes (3 to 12 SAs). I'm from GA originally so this market is home.

Like many southern firms, both firms i got offers with have less than 100% offer rates. Just based on odds, I think it is entirely possible that i get no-offered. Setting aside the firm that I had a connection with, is going 1 for 6 normal???

(This is *absolutely* not a humblebrag. I'm grateful to have a summer offer. I suspect that i'm a not a great interviewer, though, and I'm asking this in anticipation of 3L OCI/job search (it it comes to that)).

I've heard people say that a 25% ratio is typical. I had about a 50% ratio because I am awesome.

Actually I just think practice makes perfect.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:37 pm

I am a 2L in MVP and I am not a U.S. citizen. My 1L GPA is only 3.0. But I have a Ph.D. in science and years of industry experience. Through OCI I was able to secure four CB's, three of which gave me SA offers. Looking back, I would say that I was NOT a good interviewer at the screening interviews (only four CB's.) But I performed well during CB's (75% success rate.) By studying my interviewers' profiles online before going to each CB, I was able to prepare a few talking points ahead of time for each interviewer and present myself as a "like-minded" colleague thereto. This strategy seemed working in my case. I will join a big law in D.C.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:03 pm

What's "SA?"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's "SA?"

Summer Associate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:54 pm

I went 1/7 in another region with small class sizes. Have been told I'm a good interviewer, so I think it's just luck of the draw. It's tough for firms with small class sizes. Also, the 1/4 callback to offer ratio is probably more relevant to NYC firms as opposed to anywhere else. Maybe Chi/LA/DC as well but I don't have any experience with those markets.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm wondering if i am a bad interviewer or if my experience is typical.

In southern secondary markets anything greater than 0 means you're a good interviewer. I went 2 for 5 in NC/SC from a T40 w/ great interviewing skills and strong WE. The 2 offers I got had CB/OFFER rates of 20/5 & 4/1. The 3 I missed on had CB/OFFER rates of 25/3, 20/3, and 10/2. In every one of my CBs, I knew T6 and/or other T40 folks with better resumes interviewing for the gig. So, people with great interviewing skills can definitely strike out in southern secondaries. I was just lucky in getting my two offers in that my background, interview, and a published piece of writing lined up exactly with the two firm's specific practice areas. Also, your "significant connection" likely didn't matter at all, b/c multiple people that got a CB probably had one. So that one counts. I was dinged at 3 different firms with really strong connections. The 25% ratio definitely only applies to NYC or if all the offices you interview with happen to have a 4/1 CB/OFFER ratio. As a result, your CB/OFFER ratio doesn't say as much about your interviewing ability as it does the the ridiculously high number of CBs that southern firms conduct for a scant few SA positions. Being able to genuinely convey your "fit" with the firm is way more important that anything in southern markets, including being a smooth operator during an interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:34 pm

3/6 in NY 0/2 out of it

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:48 pm

I went 7/8 in NY, 0/1 outside of it. I don't know if there is any rhyme or reason to it.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:54 pm

Average is in the range of 40-50%, with some outlyer firms on either side.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:45 pm

I was 5/10 this cycle, so 50%. In one particular secondary market I was 0-4. Go figure.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:55 am

2/2 in my secondary market. Didn't interview in New York.

Return to “Legal Employment”