Gibson Dunn vs. Haynes & Boone vs. V&E in Dallas?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Gibson Dunn vs. Haynes & Boone vs. V&E in Dallas?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:25 pm

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me with this decision. I'm interested primarily in M&A.

It seems to me that GDC works on the highest profile deals, while HayBoo is a bit more regional and V&E runs most of its blockbuster deals out of Houston. Anyone have any info on culture, exit opps, partnership etc. at these places? I'm assuming that it's close to impossible at GDC but better at V&E and HayBoo. Also, since GDC seems to do more national work do most of its associates that leave end up moving from the DFW area? I'm from the area and would like to stay long term - it seems to me that since HB has a more Dallas-focused presence, its associates would leave to Dallas firms to go in house

Anonymous User

Re: Gibson Dunn vs. Haynes & Boone vs. V&E in Dallas?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:35 pm

I had these same options (except my V&E offer was in Houston)

HaynesBoone - best partnership chances of the 3 by far. The people there are really great and they are the only Dallas based firm out of the group. I thought this was a huge positive. I think the deals are more local, which makes for great options in Dallas. I got the feeling they were very well connected in Dallas. The deals will be smaller, this could be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

GD - I didnt love the vibe of the office. I thought all the lawyers were very smart, and they work on huge deals. This is definitely a satellite office, and you kind of get the feeling that you are a satellite office. I would say partnership chances are close to 0. The good part about them, I thought, was that they work on huge deals and do have a great name outside of Texas if you want to leave. I would never work there.

V&E Dallas - Pretty good office, more of a focus on energy than the other two. I think partnership chances fall right in between. I didnt interview there as I was at the Houston office. A good friend split between there and Hayboo a couple years ago, decided on Hayboo and is very happy with his decision.

If it were up to me and I was sure I wanted corporate I would do Haynes and Boone but thats only because I love the people and they have a big name in Dallas. If you liked the people more at V&E, go there. Both are going to have good practice and a strong Texas name. If you want to leave TX one day, GD is a good choice. You said you didnt, so I dont see any benefit of going there (having no partnership chances is a big deal to me, if in-house is your goal then all 3 are good).

Good luck, cant really go wrong with the decision.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:50 pm

I had the options at V&E Dallas and HayBoo Dallas as well. I turned them both down for an option elsewhere, but I strongly considered each. I think I would have taken HB in the end for the exact reasons described. People are unbelievable. The M&A people in particular. And partnership is a very real possibility, if not even probability. Only downsides are that the work is a bit more middle-market/regional and that the firm, although growing in NYC in particular, is still very much a Texas firm. Really, it is mostly a Dallas firm. So if you want to do M&A in Dallas forever, it is the choice. If not, the others will potentially give some other options.

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:33 am

If Dallas and a desire to go in-house is your goal, then go HayBoo. You are correct that many associates go in-house to Dallas companies from HayBoo.

V&E has a stronger M&A presence in Texas, but folks are correct that most of those deals stem from energy deals and clients from the Houston office. Not saying that a Dallas inhouse is impossible after V&E, but you will probably be exposed to more Dallas companies at HayBoo.

GD is more "prestigious" and a better national rep. But you will be at a satillite office and controlled by decisions made in LA. I don't think the same problems that are affecting Weil will happen at GD, but you never know.

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:38 am

Thought you might also find this article interesting:

http://texaslawyer.typepad.com/texas_la ... south.html

sikemenow

Postby sikemenow » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:18 am

Dallas resident here. For what its worth, I literally have not heard one bad thing about Haynes and Boone; doesn't seem like anyone ever regrets going to work there. So I don't think you can go wrong there, particularly if you want to remain in Dallas long term.

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:23 am

sikemenow wrote:Dallas resident here. For what its worth, I literally have not heard one bad thing about Haynes and Boone; doesn't seem like anyone ever regrets going to work there. So I don't think you can go wrong there, particularly if you want to remain in Dallas long term.

I know several people who work or worked at HayBoo and all had varied experiences. Pre-2008, I think the firm was great overall, but the recession changed things. In 2009/2010 the firm actually sent a memo to all lawyers that HayBoo should not be considered a "lifestyle" firm anymore. I guess they had a lot of new associates come in with that image and then got broadsided by the hours and time required.

Also, since HayBoo has the largest office out of any firm in Dallas, your work experience will be affected by your practice group and the partner you work for. For every one friend that worked for a great partner, I had a friend that worked for a crappy partner.

That said, there are no guarantees regardless of the firm you work for. I still think HayBoo is a really good firm, but I don't want anyone going in thinking that it is going to offer the best experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:49 pm

I'm not OP.

Slightly OT, but I was wondering if H&B in Dallas has a strong energy practice?

I have an interest in energy law; is it something I should mention?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not OP.

Slightly OT, but I was wondering if H&B in Dallas has a strong energy practice?

I have an interest in energy law; is it something I should mention?

Not really. Most of their energy-focused lawyers are in the Houston office.

Return to “Legal Employment”