Need advice on SA offers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Need advice on SA offers

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:37 pm

I have two secondary market offers. One is expiring in the next few days. I'm waiting on my top choice firm (I was explicitly told that I will be first person on the waitlist to receive an offer). I won't be hearing back from the top choice until their outstanding offers expire (or are all accepted) - this will be after I have to give a decision on one of my current offers.

I can't give more specifics. There are substantial differences between these firms, which is why I'm very reluctant to go with the bird in the hand. I also have personal considerations that make this a more complicated decision. What should I do in this situation? I already got extra time from the firm with the deadline coming up.

I'm also still waiting for a decision from one other firm. I followed up with news of my offers, but haven't heard anything yet.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Need advice on SA offers

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:42 pm

Follow up the firm of your choice to see if they plan to extend an offer. If not, accept an offer, and consider trading up (or down) during 3L recruiting. 3L recruiting is a smaller market, but it's possible.


A bird in the hand beats two in a bush. Please don't wait so long that you end up with no place to go!

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8447
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Need advice on SA offers

Postby thesealocust » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:42 pm

Probably accept the bird in hand. If you're willing to pursue a higher risk / higher reward strategy, feel free to continue to followup with the firm you would prefer. If you don't get an offer, all's well that ends well. If you do, you can back out of your acceptance at the first firm. They will be grumpy, your school will be grumpy... and you'll land somewhere you prefer?

Give us this day our daily efficient breach?

splitmuch
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Need advice on SA offers

Postby splitmuch » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:10 pm

thesealocust wrote:Probably accept the bird in hand. If you're willing to pursue a higher risk / higher reward strategy, feel free to continue to followup with the firm you would prefer. If you don't get an offer, all's well that ends well. If you do, you can back out of your acceptance at the first firm. They will be grumpy, your school will be grumpy... and you'll land somewhere you prefer?

Give us this day our daily efficient breach?


Email top firm, tell them you have expiring offer they are top firm and that you will accept if offered.

If they offer, accept top firm.

If they dont, accept offer you have.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Need advice on SA offers

Postby hephaestus » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:02 pm

splitmuch wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Probably accept the bird in hand. If you're willing to pursue a higher risk / higher reward strategy, feel free to continue to followup with the firm you would prefer. If you don't get an offer, all's well that ends well. If you do, you can back out of your acceptance at the first firm. They will be grumpy, your school will be grumpy... and you'll land somewhere you prefer?

Give us this day our daily efficient breach?


Email top firm, tell them you have expiring offer they are top firm and that you will accept if offered.

If they offer, accept top firm.

If they dont, accept offer you have.

Yeah do this. And to TSL's point, while career services will say you can't renege, this is your future, not theirs. Do what is best for you.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.