Received a call asking me to rank offices...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Received a call asking me to rank offices...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:29 pm

I received a call early this past week asking me to choose which of a firm's offices I would prefer for a SA (my callback was a few weeks ago). I said that any would work but ____ would probably be my top choice. I haven't heard anything since, but I gotta assume that's a good sign; why would they ask me that question if they're not going to give me an offer? I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has had a similar situation and didn't get an offer out of it. Anyone have any thoughts?

Anonymous User

Re: Received a call asking me to rank offices...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I received a call early this past week asking me to choose which of a firm's offices I would prefer for a SA (my callback was a few weeks ago). I said that any would work but ____ would probably be my top choice. I haven't heard anything since, but I gotta assume that's a good sign; why would they ask me that question if they're not going to give me an offer? I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has had a similar situation and didn't get an offer out of it. Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm in a related boat - office I CBd with cancelled the summer program, and they're looking to fit me in at another office. I want to say "whichever office is most likely to hire me"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:50 pm

bump.

guano

Postby guano » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:42 am

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:48 pm

OP here, still haven't heard anything from the firm. Does anybody have any constructive suggestions? I don't need the tea leaves thread, I've already to applied to several hundred firms and this is the result of it.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, still haven't heard anything from the firm. Does anybody have any constructive suggestions? I don't need the tea leaves thread, I've already to applied to several hundred firms and this is the result of it.

Follow up on your mass mails and see if they are still looking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:08 pm

Associate at a mid/large firm here (150-200 attorneys). Recruiting partner for my satellite office is next door to me, and she handled the CBs for our SAs. We generally do CBs in the office where you would potentially be working, but sometimes the firm likes a candidate and just can't manage to fit them into the office where they did the CB. That's where the office preference hierarchy comes in. If you don't want to be in an office, and that's where we want to put you, it might not be as good for both parties as we'd like.

There are a variety of reasons why you haven't heard yet. They involve a range of things from soft reject to silent waitlist to inability to get together to sent out offer letters. That said, pretend you never got the call and apply like you don't have an offer in hand until you get one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Associate at a mid/large firm here (150-200 attorneys). Recruiting partner for my satellite office is next door to me, and she handled the CBs for our SAs. We generally do CBs in the office where you would potentially be working, but sometimes the firm likes a candidate and just can't manage to fit them into the office where they did the CB. That's where the office preference hierarchy comes in. If you don't want to be in an office, and that's where we want to put you, it might not be as good for both parties as we'd like.

There are a variety of reasons why you haven't heard yet. They involve a range of things from soft reject to silent waitlist to inability to get together to sent out offer letters. That said, pretend you never got the call and apply like you don't have an offer in hand until you get one.

I can second this. At X firm I had a callback for office 1. Since then I've been told that office X will not be having an SA program next summer, but they like me and are trying to figure out where I'd be a good fit. At this point, either 1) I'll get an fire for Y or Z office; 2) I'll get a CB for Y or Z office; 3) they won't be able to squeeze me into either and I'm fucked

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Associate at a mid/large firm here (150-200 attorneys). Recruiting partner for my satellite office is next door to me, and she handled the CBs for our SAs. We generally do CBs in the office where you would potentially be working, but sometimes the firm likes a candidate and just can't manage to fit them into the office where they did the CB. That's where the office preference hierarchy comes in. If you don't want to be in an office, and that's where we want to put you, it might not be as good for both parties as we'd like.

I can second this. At X firm I had a callback for office 1. Since then I've been told that office X will not be having an SA program next summer, but they like me and are trying to figure out where I'd be a good fit. At this point, either 1) I'll get an fire for Y or Z office; 2) I'll get a CB for Y or Z office; 3) they won't be able to squeeze me into either and I'm fucked

OP - Yeah, I initially figured the offer was around the corner, since I was very flexible in my answer (I gave them an order of preference but stated I would be happy in all but one, a small satellite office that I don't think they use often for summers), but since it's been so long, now I just don't know what to expect from them. It's not like I said, this office and only this office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:41 pm

Anon from above: As I said above, the silence can mean anything. And while you didn't foreclose the other offices as options, your second and third choice of offices doesn't necessarily sound appealing to them. The partner next door to me says, "I want someone who is going to be excited about what we have to offer."

The firm is sinking time and cash into an SA. Depending on the level of firm, they may be risk-averse that they're giving someone a shot in a place they don't want to be in their most ideal scenario.

To you, this feels a lot like... "Give me anything! I just want to work with your firm and I will love it no matter what." It may not feel that way to the firm, regardless of how you answered the question.

I am not trying to worry you, and this could all be wrong for your firm. I am just giving you insight on how it can operate at my firm. I am of the opinion that knowing something about what the other side might be thinking is always of value.

Return to “Legal Employment”