How are practice group selections made?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bobert

How are practice group selections made?

Postby bobert » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:55 pm

Do any of the associates on this board have an insight into how practice groups select associates from the incoming class? Is there anything you can do (post-summer) to increase your chances of landing in a selective group? Thanks!

bk1

Re: How are practice group selections made?

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:04 pm

(not an associate) but it depends on the firm.

bobert

Postby bobert » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:13 pm

bk1 wrote:(not an associate) but it depends on the firm.

Some anecdotes would be great. I appreciate that this would vary both by firm and practice group.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:19 pm

I've heard of three styles, but I'm sure there are more. Some firms simply give practice group specific offers at the end of summer. Some ask summers to rank their preferences and do their best to match them. The last one I've heard of is going in unassigned. I've only heard of the last one. I have no idea how that would work.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:23 pm

drmguy wrote:The last one I've heard of is going in unassigned. I've only heard of the last one. I have no idea how that would work.

See Jones Day's New Lawyers Group

bobert

Postby bobert » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:25 pm

drmguy wrote:I've heard of three styles, but I'm sure there are more. Some firms simply give practice group specific offers at the end of summer. Some ask summers to rank their preferences and do their best to match them. The last one I've heard of is going in unassigned. I've only heard of the last one. I have no idea how that would work.

In those with the preference style, any idea of how they choose between associates if there are more interested associates than there are spots?

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:26 pm

bobert wrote:
drmguy wrote:I've heard of three styles, but I'm sure there are more. Some firms simply give practice group specific offers at the end of summer. Some ask summers to rank their preferences and do their best to match them. The last one I've heard of is going in unassigned. I've only heard of the last one. I have no idea how that would work.

In those with the preference style, any idea of how they choose between associates if there are more interested associates than there are spots?

I would imagine they just start going down the list.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:35 am

Danger Zone wrote:
drmguy wrote:The last one I've heard of is going in unassigned. I've only heard of the last one. I have no idea how that would work.

I was at Jones Day last summer. What at about 9-12 months into the first year, you apply to a practice group and hope they select you. Some groups are easier to join because there is a lot of space, others are more difficult and don't take more than one person a year. You can really screw yourself over if you gun for a group and don't get in.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:

I was at Jones Day last summer. What at about 9-12 months into the first year, you apply to a practice group and hope they select you. Some groups are easier to join because there is a lot of space, others are more difficult and don't take more than one person a year. You can really screw yourself over if you gun for a group and don't get in.

What happens then? They show you the door? Or just put you in a practice group where everyone there knows you didn't want to be there?

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:36 am

They put the jr associates in a pool and they're assigned to projects as needed. It takes away some of the guesswork in predicting specific needs of each practice group. The upside/downside is less specialization.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:38 am

Danger Zone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:

What happens then? They show you the door? Or just put you in a practice group where everyone there knows you didn't want to be there?

granted, this is slightly different from the scenario mentioned above. but at my firm there is heavy competition for one group, and so a very large number of people who don't get into this group "don't want to be in" whatever group they end up in. i am just a 3L, but my impression is that biglaw is biglaw and this wouldn't be some sort of impediment to you. if you do good work i don't see why it would matter (there would be some getting to know new people, i guess, but don't see how that's any different from what biglaw associates have to do even if they get the group they want).

as far as how selections are made, i think bk's answer is the only right one. there is no reason to spend time guessing about this. develop good relationships with people and do good work and that's pretty much all you can do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:40 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:

You get put in a group where there is room. Basically, the safe strategy is to just take work from a primary group as well as a back up group. I think it plays out so that you pretty much know if you will get into a group by the time it comes time to apply, so you should plan accordingly.

Return to “Legal Employment”