What does selective silence mean?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What does selective silence mean?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:38 pm

I'm waiting on a V100, four weeks after a callback. I have accepted at this point that its 99.9% a ding. But what is strange is that others have and continue to receive rejections, usually pretty quickly, and the firm just won't respond to my request for a rejection.

I've e-mailed them multiple times saying I haven't heard anything, and it seems to me the usual response to this is for them to either (1) just e-mail you the rejection letter (if it was lost in the mail or something) or (2) imply you're on a waiting list by gauging your interest. But instead they just ignore my e-mails while they continue to reject other people.

I feel like if I was on a wait list they would at least engage my interest just in case. What should I make of this? The last I heard from them was about two weeks ago when they said they still hadn't made a decision.

Anonymous User

Re: What does selective silence mean?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:43 pm

oh and no need to post the "stop reading tea leaves" link because mass mailing has been under way for months. I know we are reading tea leaves here but I was just curious if this has happened to anyone else.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:00 pm

Just let the process roll d00d. They know you're interested. Repeated attempts to find out your status will only serve to annoy the people that you least want to bother right now.

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm waiting on a V100, four weeks after a callback. I have accepted at this point that its 99.9% a ding. But what is strange is that others have and continue to receive rejections, usually pretty quickly, and the firm just won't respond to my request for a rejection.

I've e-mailed them multiple times saying I haven't heard anything, and it seems to me the usual response to this is for them to either (1) just e-mail you the rejection letter (if it was lost in the mail or something) or (2) imply you're on a waiting list by gauging your interest. But instead they just ignore my e-mails while they continue to reject other people.

I feel like if I was on a wait list they would at least engage my interest just in case. What should I make of this? The last I heard from them was about two weeks ago when they said they still hadn't made a decision.

They are making hiring decisions yet, and its prob their SOP to not say anything at all to applicants unless its in the form of an invite/rejection.

These decisions are not made in days. Sometimes the hiring committee, which is just lawyers from diff parts of the firm, may be unable to meet due to an out-of-the-blue deadline for XYZ practice group. Keep calm and keep applying. I would not take it to be necessarily bad (if this firm has indeed been insta-rejecting your bros) but it may just mean you get shit-kicked on the last round before invites are sent out.

Maybe the firm is carefully trying to weigh their actual needs for the coming future, and avoid Lathaming new associates or Kasowitzing 2Ls they offered.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:09 pm

Gorki wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm waiting on a V100, four weeks after a callback. I have accepted at this point that its 99.9% a ding. But what is strange is that others have and continue to receive rejections, usually pretty quickly, and the firm just won't respond to my request for a rejection.

They are making hiring decisions yet, and its prob their SOP to not say anything at all to applicants unless its in the form of an invite/rejection.

These decisions are not made in days. Sometimes the hiring committee, which is just lawyers from diff parts of the firm, may be unable to meet due to an out-of-the-blue deadline for XYZ practice group. Keep calm and keep applying. I would not take it to be necessarily bad (if this firm has indeed been insta-rejecting your bros) but it may just mean you get shit-kicked on the last round before invites are sent out.

Maybe the firm is carefully trying to weigh their actual needs for the coming future, and avoid Lathaming new associates or Kasowitzing 2Ls they offered.

They've definitely made offers as well. Offers, rejections, and me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:57 pm

My situations been similar. I'm just waiting and it sucks

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:07 pm

Call them.

enibs

Postby enibs » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:33 pm

This really isn't that hard to figure out. You're on a wait list. Every firm has one. Some admit it, others don't. If enough people whom they liked better turn them down, you may get an offer. Otherwise, you won't. Firms that won't admit that they have a wait list think that you'll be less likely to accept their offer, should they give you one, if you know that you're a backup for them. Personally, I think they'd be better off being straight up with you. Being on a wait list doesn't mean they don't like you, it just means there were some other people they liked better.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:15 am

Just got an offer after a similar experience. Don't write it off yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just got an offer after a similar experience. Don't write it off yet.

How long were you waiting?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:03 pm

The dreaded waitlist...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:13 pm

enibs wrote:This really isn't that hard to figure out. You're on a wait list. Every firm has one. Some admit it, others don't. If enough people whom they liked better turn them down, you may get an offer. Otherwise, you won't. Firms that won't admit that they have a wait list think that you'll be less likely to accept their offer, should they give you one, if you know that you're a backup for them. Personally, I think they'd be better off being straight up with you. Being on a wait list doesn't mean they don't like you, it just means there were some other people they liked better.

I get this, and I know firms have waitlists. It just seems to me really stupid for a firm to treat a potential hire like this and just completely IGNORE you. They could very easily participate in correspondence without giving away the fact that you're on a waitlist, like "we are still making hiring decisions and are glad to know you are still interested, we will be in touch."

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
enibs wrote:This really isn't that hard to figure out. You're on a wait list. Every firm has one. Some admit it, others don't. If enough people whom they liked better turn them down, you may get an offer. Otherwise, you won't. Firms that won't admit that they have a wait list think that you'll be less likely to accept their offer, should they give you one, if you know that you're a backup for them. Personally, I think they'd be better off being straight up with you. Being on a wait list doesn't mean they don't like you, it just means there were some other people they liked better.

I get this, and I know firms have waitlists. It just seems to me really stupid for a firm to treat a potential hire like this and just completely IGNORE you. They could very easily participate in correspondence without giving away the fact that you're on a waitlist, like "we are still making hiring decisions and are glad to know you are still interested, we will be in touch."

Not if you're annoying them. Chill.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got an offer after a similar experience. Don't write it off yet.

How long were you waiting?

A little over a month.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:49 am

Just to add in my experience with this. I graduated c/o 2012. There were 2 firms from OCI of 2L year that I had callbacks with who NEVER sent me a rejection letter. 3L year I had 1 firm never send me a rejection letter after going on a callback. I'm hope OP's situation doesn't end like mine. And without outing myself, I'll say that 1 of those firms was Dechert NY.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:13 pm

Longest wait re. biglaw from cb --> offer? Also, is Dechert known to only respond back if extending an offer? If so that's messed up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:29 pm

had a CB with a firm 3 weeks ago, said they were finishing the interview process and would be getting back to me the following week. Said to contact them if I did not hear. Haven't heard anything since. Sent thank you note and follow-up asking if a decision has been made? I'm assuming I'm on a waitlist. Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:had a CB with a firm 3 weeks ago, said they were finishing the interview process and would be getting back to me the following week. Said to contact them if I did not hear. Haven't heard anything since. Sent thank you note and follow-up asking if a decision has been made? I'm assuming I'm on a waitlist. Thoughts?

In my experience, this sort of sketchy activity has meant a ding; hopefully your situation is different!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:had a CB with a firm 3 weeks ago, said they were finishing the interview process and would be getting back to me the following week. Said to contact them if I did not hear. Haven't heard anything since. Sent thank you note and follow-up asking if a decision has been made? I'm assuming I'm on a waitlist. Thoughts?

In my experience, this sort of sketchy activity has meant a ding; hopefully your situation is different!

I got an offer after 6 weeks of silence this year. Most definitely was on a waitlist although they played dumb.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I got an offer after 6 weeks of silence this year. Most definitely was on a waitlist although they played dumb.

Wouldn't happen to be Dechert/Alston/Blank Rome would it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Wouldn't happen to be Dechert/Alston/Blank Rome would it?

nope. and I don't get how this whole board is waiting on Dechert and Alston

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:56 am

OP here who had the CB 3 weeks ago. No response from thank you note or follow up email. Should I call the partner who said to get in touch if I haven't heard anything in a week? Or should I just wait it out... Don't want to seem annoying...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here who had the CB 3 weeks ago. No response from thank you note or follow up email. Should I call the partner who said to get in touch if I haven't heard anything in a week? Or should I just wait it out... Don't want to seem annoying...

If he said get in touch...GET IN TOUCH!!

Return to “Legal Employment”