Taking Bar while still in school

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Amity

Taking Bar while still in school

Postby Amity » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:54 pm

Is anyone taking the bar exam while still attending school (for just a few more months) or does most everyone wait until school is over? The upside of getting the bar exam over with earlier is to start with my firm sooner rather than later.

blurbz

Re: Taking Bar while still in school

Postby blurbz » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:01 pm

Are you in a state that allows taking the bar while still in school? Most don't. And most firms (biglaw, at least) will let incoming associates start prior to getting bar results.

Amity

Postby Amity » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:13 am

My state in under review for permitting 3Ls to take the bar. Rumor has it that a decision will be made in a couple weeks.
At the moment Arizona is the only state that permits 3Ls to sit for the bar. Some critics say the final year is unnecessary, while others support revamping the third year’s curriculum with more emphasis on practice. The earlier test date is expected to give students an edge in an entry-level job market that has become increasingly competitive. Many employers (including mine) require being licensed before being allowed to work.
How many others here are, or would, take the bar during 3L?

guano

Postby guano » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:22 am

I do to get how an earlier test date for everyone gives anyone an advantage - it's still the same amount of legal jobs in AZ regardless of when the test date is.

Amity

Postby Amity » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:50 am

Going from 3L directly to means getting paid a lot sooner (depending on the firm). Plus, you would actually be accomplishing something useful during 3L. I suppose walking through the door as a licensed attorney has its advantages over a colleague still studying for the bar.

guano

Postby guano » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:23 am

Amity wrote:Going from 3L directly to means getting paid a lot sooner (depending on the firm). Plus, you would actually be accomplishing something useful during 3L. I suppose walking through the door as a licensed attorney has its advantages over a colleague still studying for the bar.

What I mean is, all your colleagues in AZ will also have taken the bar as a 3L, so there's no advantage.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:27 pm

Just to answer the question, if it had been an option for me to take my bar exam in Feb of my 3L year, I would have. My second semester 3L classes were easy enough and it'd have been nice to get it over with.

Return to “Legal Employment”