SEC Summer Honors v. Regional Firm(s) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SEC Summer Honors v. Regional Firm(s)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:04 am

Fellow TLSers:

I'm probably going to have to make this decision in the coming weeks. I've perused through these boards in an attempt to read up on the SEC summer program, and, frankly, I'm not sure if it is worth it (unpaid, doesn't necessarily help securing (no pun intended) a job after graduation, SEC isn't hiring, it's unpaid, etc.). Correct me if I'm wrong, but, since it's a full summer program, I wouldn't be able to do a split summer with them and a private firm. All that being said, I'm interested in doing securities work after graduation, so summering at the SEC might make some sense. I'm just not sure whether the pros outweigh the cons in accepting a gig with a government agency.

Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA.

bk1

Diamond

Re: SEC Summer Honors v. Regional Firm(s)

Post by bk1 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:09 am

You might be able to do an 8/8 split if the firm and SEC are okay with it (maybe 10/6 depending on how the SEC structures its summer program and the start dates of the firm SA program).

If it's one or the other, the answer is firm hands down. There is only one pro/con you should be considering between these two: chances of getting a full time offer. The firm, I assume, is much more likely to lead to that. The SEC is not. So pick the firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:13 am

OP here. bk1, thanks for the advice. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a split summer plan can be worked out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:Fellow TLSers:

I'm probably going to have to make this decision in the coming weeks. I've perused through these boards in an attempt to read up on the SEC summer program, and, frankly, I'm not sure if it is worth it (unpaid, doesn't necessarily help securing (no pun intended) a job after graduation, SEC isn't hiring, it's unpaid, etc.). Correct me if I'm wrong, but, since it's a full summer program, I wouldn't be able to do a split summer with them and a private firm. All that being said, I'm interested in doing securities work after graduation, so summering at the SEC might make some sense. I'm just not sure whether the pros outweigh the cons in accepting a gig with a government agency.

TIA.
When did you hear from the SEC? I applied over the weekend but assumed things would be moving slowly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:56 pm

What office for SEC, HQ?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:11 pm

For DC, I interviewed this week and was told to hear back within a few weeks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Fellow TLSers:

TIA.

So, a few of these things aren't 100% "true" anymore. The SEC recently got the approval to hire 600+ new employees. Also, the advance commitment program is still used to fill entry level positions. A lot of the information found on TLS through the search function about the SEC is a bit dated.

With that being said, I agree 100% with Bk1. Go with the firm if you have to choose. You have better odds of landing a post-grad position with them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”