Full-time offer in unassigned group

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Full-time offer in unassigned group

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:20 pm

Post SA offer is unassigned - most other people are given either a lit or transactional practice group. What are the implications of this for lateraling or exit? I know that many firms have formal rotational programs, but this is a bit different and is not the norm in this part of the country.

Anonymous User

Re: Full-time offer in unassigned group

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:12 pm

bump

JusticeJackson

Postby JusticeJackson » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:37 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:52 pm

So you finished your SA and now have this offer? Your chances of getting anything else are really low. You can poke around if you want into 3L hiring, but you'll probably end up just taking this offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:12 pm

OP here - I'm not planning on lateraling. I'm interested in the career implications of being unassigned. I think one of the above posters is correct in that I will eventually, rather quickly, be placed in a group.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:18 pm

What career implications?

You'll be evaluated retrospectively on what you've done once there's a reason for such evaluation to occur, nobody will ever give two shits about how you got your start.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:55 pm

Well it's probably stating the obvious, but what practice group you eventually are placed in has a lot of implications for your career, and you don't have any control over that, which is kind of unfortunate. But it's not any worse off than people at a lot of firms that don't give practice group assignments to anyone when they give out post-SA offers.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:13 pm

I'm guessing you mean that the firm assigned other people in your summer class and not you? If so, it probably just means the firm doesn't know where the need will be a year from now.

If you're just curious why you didn't get an assignment at all, where your classmates at other firms did, it's probably just how the firm is (and you might find out later or you might just be unassigned for your entire first year).

Return to “Legal Employment”