Current/future in-house attorneys: tips for my interview?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273359
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Current/future in-house attorneys: tips for my interview?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:08 pm

The interview is for a 2L summer spot with a company that regularly hires summers.

My main question is what a good answer to the "why in-house" question looks like, but tips about anything else are more than welcome.

My straightforward answer is more responsibility earlier on (supposedly) and better hours (supposedly). Obviously I don't want to state the latter reason...

Thank you!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273359
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Current/future in-house attorneys: tips for my interview?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:09 pm

I'm a 2012 grad who started in-house at a software company. I graduated around median at a T-14, on moot-court but no journal, etc.

For my job it was incredibly important to explain why I wanted to work in the software/technology sector. I don't think I would have gotten the job without a compelling story about wanting to work on emerging issues in the field. I also had work experience as a technology consultant to back me up.

Even if you don't have relevant work experience, you need to connect to the company's business as well as the law. At a firm the business is the law. That is not the case in-house.

Finally, try to find an alum ally inside to support you if you can. Having an insider advocating for you helps for any job.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273359
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Current/future in-house attorneys: tips for my interview?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 2012 grad who started in-house at a software company. I graduated around median at a T-14, on moot-court but no journal, etc.

For my job it was incredibly important to explain why I wanted to work in the software/technology sector. I don't think I would have gotten the job without a compelling story about wanting to work on emerging issues in the field. I also had work experience as a technology consultant to back me up.

Even if you don't have relevant work experience, you need to connect to the company's business as well as the law. At a firm the business is the law. That is not the case in-house.

Finally, try to find an alum ally inside to support you if you can. Having an insider advocating for you helps for any job.


Not OP, but I'm in a similar position.


In your experience do most in-house gigs hire from their SA class. Also, I know it is common to go private firm to in-house. Is the reverse true?

Thanks!

thirtyandseven
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:36 pm

Re: Current/future in-house attorneys: tips for my interview?

Postby thirtyandseven » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 2012 grad who started in-house at a software company. I graduated around median at a T-14, on moot-court but no journal, etc.

For my job it was incredibly important to explain why I wanted to work in the software/technology sector. I don't think I would have gotten the job without a compelling story about wanting to work on emerging issues in the field. I also had work experience as a technology consultant to back me up.

Even if you don't have relevant work experience, you need to connect to the company's business as well as the law. At a firm the business is the law. That is not the case in-house.

Finally, try to find an alum ally inside to support you if you can. Having an insider advocating for you helps for any job.


Technology sector in-house is pretty much my dream job. If you wouldn't mind PMing me, I'd really appreciate it. I have a lot of questions regarding how/whether I can get something along these lines.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273359
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Current/future in-house attorneys: tips for my interview?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:02 pm

sorry to derail, but my career services told me that in house positions weren't interviewing yet, and that they started in a few months. where and how are you guys finding these positions?

User avatar
goldeneye
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Current/future in-house attorneys: tips for my interview?

Postby goldeneye » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:sorry to derail, but my career services told me that in house positions weren't interviewing yet, and that they started in a few months. where and how are you guys finding these positions?


Don't listen to CSO. Check lawstudentjobs.net and company websites. Ask CSO if they have list of alumni who are in house

Anonymous User
Posts: 273359
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Current/future in-house attorneys: tips for my interview?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not OP, but I'm in a similar position.

In your experience do most in-house gigs hire from their SA class. Also, I know it is common to go private firm to in-house. Is the reverse true?

Thanks!


In the year I've been in-house we've hired a couple attorneys. A few were from law firms, most were from other companies. One was our outside bankruptcy counsel beforehand. As far as I know no one has left the company to go to a firm.

FWIW the Association of Corporate Counsel, which is basically the in-house bar, has a publicly accessible jobs site. Most of the positions are not entry level, but might be worth a look.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273359
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Current/future in-house attorneys: tips for my interview?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 2012 grad who started in-house at a software company. I graduated around median at a T-14, on moot-court but no journal, etc.

For my job it was incredibly important to explain why I wanted to work in the software/technology sector. I don't think I would have gotten the job without a compelling story about wanting to work on emerging issues in the field. I also had work experience as a technology consultant to back me up.

Even if you don't have relevant work experience, you need to connect to the company's business as well as the law. At a firm the business is the law. That is not the case in-house.

Finally, try to find an alum ally inside to support you if you can. Having an insider advocating for you helps for any job.


OP here. Thank you for the advice, this definitely helps.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.