Help: in-house "offer" but probably won't lead to full-time

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Should I take the job?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:21 pm

Yes, take the job
100%
No, don't take it
No votes

Total votes: 4

Anonymous User

Help: in-house "offer" but probably won't lead to full-time

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:21 pm

I have median grades at a regional T50 so I'm obviously happy to have gotten anything at all out of our tiny OCI.
I got an offer through 2L OCI for a paid in-house gig, BUT I also learned that it's essentially just an internship and most likely won't lead to full-time employment. I'm extremely interested in the job but I also really want to try my best to get something lined up post-graduation. I understand most in-house attorneys are not hired right out of law school so it makes sense to me that it's just an internship.
I still have some prospects with three small firms and possibly more to come as they post additional SA positions after OCI, and these are jobs that have at least a fairly decent chance (I assume) of leading to full-time employment after graduation. I have no offers at these firms though. I'm not really sure what to do because if I take the in-house job, I'm still out of luck for having a job lined up after graduation since the internship most likely won't become a permanent job. Yet if I pass on the job and strike out with the small firms, then I'm probably even more screwed. Will the chance of having this in-house experience actually help me get a permanent job after graduation? I know that 2L OCI and other 2L hiring is the best chance to get a full-time job lined up. If the in-house job is most likely not going to lead to full-time employment, wouldn't I be doing myself a disfavor by taking it? Then again, with average grades at a mediocre school, the chances of getting any SA offer from a small firm are also pretty slim. Thanks for the help.

mushybrain

Re: Help: in-house "offer" but probably won't lead to full-time

Postby mushybrain » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:43 pm

Well, first, what's the deal with the three small firms? Meaning, what do you mean by prospects? Interviews scheduled? Already had interviews? Know someone there? If those are truly realistic prospects I'd be following up and pushing on those while sitting on the in-house offer for a bit to the extent that you can.

Someone else will have to comment on the future job prospects issue but I think it's important that you give more info on those three firm prospects for anyone to give real advice.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:55 pm

Good point above that we need to know more, both about the firms and the in-house job. Is it in the market where you ultimately want to be? Is it in an industry that you would like to gain experience with? What firms did their lawyers come from? These are important questions because the corporation will be a client of various firms, and the more influence its in-house lawyers have in the market and with certain firms, the better your chances of landing a firm job if they go to bat for you. I have several friends who worked in-house during the summer, impressed their supervisors, then made it clear that they were looking to transition to a firm. These firms often want to build better connections with clients, and the client wants to make sure they have people at the firms they use that really know their business.

So it depends on the answers to those questions above.

rouser

Postby rouser » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:59 pm

good luck with this

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:01 pm

mushybrain wrote:Well, first, what's the deal with the three small firms? Meaning, what do you mean by prospects? Interviews scheduled? Already had interviews? Know someone there? If those are truly realistic prospects I'd be following up and pushing on those while sitting on the in-house offer for a bit to the extent that you can.

Someone else will have to comment on the future job prospects issue but I think it's important that you give more info on those three firm prospects for anyone to give real advice.

Not fantastic prospects: one firm I had an interview with yesterday that I thought went super well (my favorite interview in fact) but who knows whether I will even get a CB. The other two are simply ones I applied to where there are some location and practice-area factors that I thought could really be used to sell myself. Basically, I don't have much as far as other prospects. I would say there is, however, at least a 40% chance that I can get something out of a small firm since a lot of my friends in the top 1/3 already have taken offers and so I do have some advantage in this late part of the game with these small firms that have purposely set up their interviews later.
The worst part of all is that I only have TWO DAYS to make a decision.

rouser

Postby rouser » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:07 pm

Try to figure out what the odds are that it could transition into a full time position?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:09 pm

piccolittle wrote:Good point above that we need to know more, both about the firms and the in-house job. Is it in the market where you ultimately want to be? Is it in an industry that you would like to gain experience with? What firms did their lawyers come from? These are important questions because the corporation will be a client of various firms, and the more influence its in-house lawyers have in the market and with certain firms, the better your chances of landing a firm job if they go to bat for you. I have several friends who worked in-house during the summer, impressed their supervisors, then made it clear that they were looking to transition to a firm. These firms often want to build better connections with clients, and the client wants to make sure they have people at the firms they use that really know their business.

So it depends on the answers to those questions above.

The in-house job is in basically the exact market I want to be in and involves some traveling to a large secondary market. It's also in the exact industry I want to gain experience in. Their lawyers I think came from mainly larger firms that I likely would have no chance of ever working at due to my grades. I think I see your point though about trying to figure out what various firms the corporation is a client of.

Return to “Legal Employment”