Decision time, need help

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which one?

Firm A (V50)
Firm B (NLJ)
Total votes: 7

Anonymous User

Decision time, need help

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:16 am

I am seeking TLS wisdom. I need to pick between two firms and have not decided. Time is running out.

Firm A: V50 firm, secondary market but major office. Wide variety of practice areas. Probably good exit options but I cannot specifically say for sure. Handled the recession okay, but did lay off a number of associates and staff (probably 40-50 associates, 70 staff) firm-wide. I believe they still offered summers. Pay is $140-145 in a cheap city. No real opportunity for a bonus because the firm just doesn't give them out that often. If they do, they are small. Billables are around 2,000 hours. Really enjoyed the people on my callback.

Firm B: NLJ250, secondary market but primary office. Again, wide variety of practice areas, but certainly more limited and leans more to litigation. I am unsure about exit options because it is hard to find information of that sort. However, I do know of attorneys there who exited to F500's. Pay is $115-125, also in a cheap city. Opportunity for bonus. Opportunity to make partner (that is the stated hiring model). Billables are around 1,800 hours. Firm did not lay off associates during the downturn and still offered summers. Liked the people.

I am looking for something that will give me the best opportunity long term, but I job security and the ability to make partner are important factors in my decision. I am still open to practice areas.

Return to “Legal Employment”