A firm told me I'd hear by the end of the week...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

A firm told me I'd hear by the end of the week...

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:36 pm

But I haven't heard a peep. It's a firm in a secondary California market...could they just be lagging? Or is my rejection probably in the mail?

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8442
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: A firm told me I'd hear by the end of the week...

Postby thesealocust » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:38 pm

Sounds like promissory estoppel. Haul their ass to court.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: A firm told me I'd hear by the end of the week...

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:21 pm

This happened to me with both firms I had callbacks with. Its now been two weeks. One firm I called on Monday and followed up and she said the recruiting committee hadn't met yet. The other firm I e-mailed Wednesday and received a response Friday indicating that they won't make a concrete decision on me until management gives a final approval on the number of summers to accept for this year.

Both secondary markets as well

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: A firm told me I'd hear by the end of the week...

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This happened to me with both firms I had callbacks with. Its now been two weeks. One firm I called on Monday and followed up and she said the recruiting committee hadn't met yet. The other firm I e-mailed Wednesday and received a response Friday indicating that they won't make a concrete decision on me until management gives a final approval on the number of summers to accept for this year.

Both secondary markets as well


Hmm that's interesting. I would think that the last one means you definitely are still in the running, because I'm sure they don't need approval to eliminate someone from consideration.

For my situation though, I'm pretty sure the recruitment has already met because my callback was on Monday and she told me they meet Wednesday.

I guess no news is good news at this point!

oblig.lawl.ref
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:28 pm

Re: A firm told me I'd hear by the end of the week...

Postby oblig.lawl.ref » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:26 pm

You can't really try to read into the offer process. You have to assume everything's a rejection until you have an offer and keep on mass mailing, following up on other mass mails, etc.

For what it's worth however, I received an offer from a firm about a week after they told me they'd get back to me. And they also said the recruiting committee met on Wednesday and two Wednesdays passed before the offer. So you never know what they're doing or what comes up.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: A firm told me I'd hear by the end of the week...

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:38 pm

What market? South Bay in NorCal or OC in SoCal? Big firm or boutique?
post edit: curious to market because when you say "secondary" CA market, I wonder what that entails.

I heard boutique firms lag on their hiring because the hiring partners might not have time to convene and think about the decision due to case management.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: A firm told me I'd hear by the end of the week...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What market? South Bay in NorCal or OC in SoCal? Big firm or boutique?
post edit: curious to market because when you say "secondary" CA market, I wonder what that entails.

I heard boutique firms lag on their hiring because the hiring partners might not have time to convene and think about the decision due to case management.


It was the SoCal office of a big firm, but I think your point about the boutique firms still may apply here. I guess we'll see!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: A firm told me I'd hear by the end of the week...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:44 pm

had a firm doing that to me for 4 weeks in a row. We will give you an answer at end of the week...We will give you an answer at end of the week...We will give you an answer at end of the week. Finally, after a month, they rejected me.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: A firm told me I'd hear by the end of the week...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:29 pm

are you LA or a smaller market? how big of a firm? is it v100, or non-vault market?

i've heard some v100 firms in LA say "within a week" and it ends up being a month.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: A firm told me I'd hear by the end of the week...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:27 pm

OP here. Just got the rejection in the mail. Guess that's that!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: A firm told me I'd hear by the end of the week...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:02 pm

Sorry to hear OP.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: A firm told me I'd hear by the end of the week...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:had a firm doing that to me for 4 weeks in a row. We will give you an answer at end of the week...We will give you an answer at end of the week...We will give you an answer at end of the week. Finally, after a month, they rejected me.


Did you follow up multiple times? I'm in a situation where I was told I'd hear by the end of the week, I followed up the next week and they said I'd hear by the end of the week, now its the following week. Do I follow up again?

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8442
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: A firm told me I'd hear by the end of the week...

Postby thesealocust » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:had a firm doing that to me for 4 weeks in a row. We will give you an answer at end of the week...We will give you an answer at end of the week...We will give you an answer at end of the week. Finally, after a month, they rejected me.


Did you follow up multiple times? I'm in a situation where I was told I'd hear by the end of the week, I followed up the next week and they said I'd hear by the end of the week, now its the following week. Do I follow up again?


They're not going to tell you any faster because you're pestering them. They didn't forget about you, you're just low priority.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7304
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: A firm told me I'd hear by the end of the week...

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:56 pm

Got a phone call today from a partner I interviewed with a few weeks ago... to tell me that he didn't have any update for me.

Thanks for the heart attack, bro.

whatsyourdeal
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:25 pm

Re: A firm told me I'd hear by the end of the week...

Postby whatsyourdeal » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:08 pm

Danger Zone wrote:Got a phone call today from a partner I interviewed with a few weeks ago... to tell me that he didn't have any update for me.

Thanks for the heart attack, bro.


what a dick. what's the purpose of that phone call, to mess with your head?

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7304
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: A firm told me I'd hear by the end of the week...

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:42 pm

whatsyourdeal wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:Got a phone call today from a partner I interviewed with a few weeks ago... to tell me that he didn't have any update for me.

Thanks for the heart attack, bro.


what a dick. what's the purpose of that phone call, to mess with your head?

Probably yield protection, finding out if I had any other offers. In the end, I'm glad I had the opportunity to tell him I'm still interested in working for his firm.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.