. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Iamthelaw27

New

Post by Iamthelaw27 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:46 pm

Last edited by Iamthelaw27 on Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jsa725

Gold

Re: One in the hand vs. two in the bush-Advice

Post by Jsa725 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:53 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:54 pm

Jsa725 wrote:enthusiastically accept B, then revoke if accepted by A. not a big deal. happens all the time. employment is a two-way street.
Yep. I was going to say the same thing.

Accept it. Renege if you get the better job (assuming it's a larger market)

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:01 pm

mr.hands wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:enthusiastically accept B, then revoke if accepted by A. not a big deal. happens all the time. employment is a two-way street.

Couldn't agree more. It's not unethical. Your career services office just tries to convince you that it is because it can reflect poorly on them. But you gotta do you, homie.

Anonymous User

Re: One in the hand vs. two in the bush-Advice?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:06 pm

Oh seriously? Because I'm having pretty much this exact same issue and didn't think revoking was a possibility at all. :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:11 pm

Generally, revoking can be bad if it's the same market, but given the disparity in income, this is absolutely a good reason to revoke. If you were choosing between two, 160k firms, I wouldn't revoke because what's the point? But here, yes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:20 pm

goldeneye wrote:Generally, revoking can be bad if it's the same market, but given the disparity in income, this is absolutely a good reason to revoke. If you were choosing between two, 160k firms, I wouldn't revoke because what's the point? But here, yes.
What about if you were choosing between a 150k firm and a 160k firm?

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
goldeneye wrote:Generally, revoking can be bad if it's the same market, but given the disparity in income, this is absolutely a good reason to revoke. If you were choosing between two, 160k firms, I wouldn't revoke because what's the point? But here, yes.
Did this have to be anon? Also, what's the point of this question? OP already said that firm A pays more than double, and firm B pays about 55k a year, so the disparity is obviously huge here.

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:28 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:29 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Did this have to be anon? Also, what's the point of this question? OP already said that firm A pays more than double, and firm B pays about 55k a year, so the disparity is obviously huge here.
Yes, because I was asking for advice pertinent to my situation.

But you're right. Sorry for derailing the thread.

hichvichwoh

Bronze

Post by hichvichwoh » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yes, because I was asking for advice pertinent to my situation.

But you're right. Sorry for derailing the thread.
ah this makes more sense, I too thought it was just pointless law school "where do we draw the line?" bs. IMO, if it's between 150k and 160k, the other characteristics of the two offers are what matter more, like practice area, geographic location, fit, etc.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:40 pm

hichvichwoh wrote: ah this makes more sense, I too thought it was just pointless law school "where do we draw the line?" bs. IMO, if it's between 150k and 160k, the other characteristics of the two offers are what matter more, like practice area, geographic location, fit, etc.
That's what I thought it was as well. I'm quick to jump on typical law student bullshit. My bad, anon.

In that case, compensation shouldn't be the deciding factor. Go with your gut.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:41 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
mr.hands wrote:

Couldn't agree more. It's not unethical. Your career services office just tries to convince you that it is because it can reflect poorly on them. But you gotta do you, homie.
I agree. This is not an ethical issue. An employer would be more than happy to revoke your offer for nearly any reason. This is how it works.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Iamthelaw27

New

Post by Iamthelaw27 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:44 pm

What's weird with my job search overall is I'm pretty much only getting CBs with massive national firms that pay way more than I expected to make and then regional firms that pay about 33% less than I expected to make. Nobody else in my school gets the former interviews and many people ranked lower than me are getting jobs better than the latter interviews. No idea how to read that...but that's another story.

My gut was telling me what everyone is saying. So that's what I did. Appreciate it guys.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:50 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
hichvichwoh wrote: ah this makes more sense, I too thought it was just pointless law school "where do we draw the line?" bs. IMO, if it's between 150k and 160k, the other characteristics of the two offers are what matter more, like practice area, geographic location, fit, etc.
That's what I thought it was as well. I'm quick to jump on typical law student bullshit. My bad, anon.

In that case, compensation shouldn't be the deciding factor. Go with your gut.
I think both would be a good fit for me, though I like the people at the 150k firm slightly more. I don't think I'll hear back from the 160k firm on time, even though I told them of my deadline, so I'll be forced to accept. I'm just wary of burning any bridges, given that I really like the first firm, and both are in the same secondary market (my target/home market).

Practice area is probably a wash. Maybe the 160k firm has greater prestige. I don't really care about prestige. I do care about dat paper, however, because I'm attending law school at sticker.

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:58 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:14 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think both would be a good fit for me, though I like the people at the 150k firm slightly more. I don't think I'll hear back from the 160k firm on time, even though I told them of my deadline, so I'll be forced to accept. I'm just wary of burning any bridges, given that I really like the first firm, and both are in the same secondary market (my target/home market).

Practice area is probably a wash. Maybe the 160k firm has greater prestige. I don't really care about prestige. I do care about dat paper, however, because I'm attending law school at sticker.
seems like you should take 150k and never look back. you like the people slightly more and practice groups are a wash. 10k more per year is not a huge difference in your paychecks. in this case, "fit" should be your guide

edit: you will be spending the majority of your day with the people you work with. if its no bueno, then you will want to end your life. trust me. it is imperative to find a workplace that has people you like. otherwise it will be hell... and that 10k more will not go to student loans but rather

... to soothe your pain.

but OTOH, you may just want to choose the shittier workplace.... ya know, for the justification :wink:
:lol:

Thanks for the advice. I was already leaning towards accepting and never looking back, but this just might seal the deal.

As for justification, I think I'm good. Cheap vodka works for all occasions, so whether I'm working at shitty big law firm 1 or shitter big law firm 2, I think I'll be in a good spot for that. In fact, your pic just made me thirsty. Kthxbai.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:30 pm

What about this just in case Firm C or D comes along? Accept both (and every other law firm that gives you an offer) and then next May, show up only for the one you finally decide on. Why put yourself through making a decision now? things can change dramatically before next summer.

No justification needed 'cause look at all the shit the firms put us through (ie. Kasowitz).

Iamthelaw27

New

Post by Iamthelaw27 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What about this just in case Firm C or D comes along? Accept both (and every other law firm that gives you an offer) and then next May, show up only for the one you finally decide on. Why put yourself through making a decision now? things can change dramatically before next summer.

No justification needed 'cause look at all the shit the firms put us through (ie. Kasowitz).
That was going to be my follow up. Should I continue searching of I get rejected at firm A? (My gut says I have a 60% shot of getting the position.) Firm B is a rather disappointing, yet not catastrophic result for me. I'd like to keep at it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:33 pm

Devils advocate.

Why not ask for an extension until you'll hear from A? This is what I would suggest. Then you can worry about shit canning them if they say no (because I wouldn't want to work somewhere that was a dick about something like that anyway). Its pretty common "I'm waiting to hear from X, could I please have Y more weeks to get back to you"

Do this before just accepting and rejecting. Contrary to what people tend to be promoting in here, while it isn't an "ethical" violation it will still likely piss someone off and you'll be amazed at when it will come back to bite you in the ass.

(that said, if push came to shove and you had an option to take dream job after accepting meh job, then you fucking do it)

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:41 pm

Jsa725 wrote:enthusiastically accept B, then revoke if accepted by A. not a big deal. happens all the time. at will employment is a two-way street.
Just a little fix.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:28 pm

Anyone experiencing pressure (not necessarily anything threatening but they have indicated that they would like to know asap) from firms before the 28 day deadline has passed? My CSO is really skittish that I'm sitting on my only offer while waiting to hear from another firm. (I should say its making me skittish too...) Lots of fears of firms revoking offers floating about, I guess. Thoughts?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:30 pm

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Post by BuckinghamB » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:48 pm

Couldn't you just tell your top choice that you have an exploding offer but make it clear you'd rather work for them? That way you wouldn't risk pissing off your bottom choice by saying you're waiting to hear from your top choice. Or is that not a good approach?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:55 pm

BuckinghamB wrote:Couldn't you just tell your top choice that you have an exploding offer but make it clear you'd rather work for them? That way you wouldn't risk pissing off your bottom choice by saying you're waiting to hear from your top choice. Or is that not a good approach?
Well, I'm on hold essentially. They'd just reject me. Although, I have sort of indicated to them that this is the case.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”