Following-up with offer(s) in hand

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Following-up with offer(s) in hand

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:14 pm

Is it best to hold off on contacting a firm to check your candidacy until close to your first offer deadline? My one offer expires in about three weeks but I have a handful of firms with radio silence since my CBs (anywhere from 2 weeks to almost a month ago).

Wondering if it it would help, hurt, or expedite to call recruiting now and inform of offer, even one not immediately expiring. Secondary market with mid/regionalbig firms so the hiring timelines are fuzzy.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Following-up with offer(s) in hand

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it best to hold off on contacting a firm to check your candidacy until close to your first offer deadline? My one offer expires in about three weeks but I have a handful of firms with radio silence since my CBs (anywhere from 2 weeks to almost a month ago).

Wondering if it it would help, hurt, or expedite to call recruiting now and inform of offer, even one not immediately expiring. Secondary market with mid/regionalbig firms so the hiring timelines are fuzzy.


I think it depends on the firm (based on what others say). I know of a lot of people this year who let other firms know of an offer and then suddenly had three or more offers. I'm sure there are some firms, especially if they aren't sure or are worried about too many accepting, who say oh, great, take another offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Following-up with offer(s) in hand

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:51 pm

I'm in a similar boat. I just followed up with the other firm I was more interested in, and let them know it. I also did this with two firms that had just scheduled a screener. One of them fast tracked my interview process this week so it'll be complete in under 6 days from screener->offer/declination, the other had the gall to ask me to decline the other offer because they wouldn't be able to make a decision by then.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Following-up with offer(s) in hand

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:21 pm

Obviously this is all going to be anecdotal. I let three firms know this week that I have an offer expiring next week. 1 got me an offer, 2 rejected me. Whether my email was the catalyst or the cause, who knows.

I probably wouldn't do it too early (oh hai guyz, I have an offer expiring in 28 days, hurry up!). But 7-10 days out seems reasonable enough, since you need time to compare.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Following-up with offer(s) in hand

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:36 pm

This just got me a bunch of rejections. Which is fine because I needed to know, but I don't recommend alerting them too early. They just said that they couldn't work within the deadline.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Following-up with offer(s) in hand

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:00 pm

Is it ever a bad idea to inform a firm of an offer? Right now I have an offer with a small firm that doesn't fit my interests, and I'm waiting on a few CBs that would be perfect fits. Would informing my CBs of my offer run the risk of an immediate rejection as opposed to being put on a waitlist? I would rather withdraw my offer and be on a waitlist at a CB than deal with an immediate rejection from the CBs. I would love to speed the process and make myself look desirable, but I also don't want to hurt my chances with the CBs by informing them of an offer I may not even accept at all. Any thoughts?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Following-up with offer(s) in hand

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it ever a bad idea to inform a firm of an offer? Right now I have an offer with a small firm that doesn't fit my interests, and I'm waiting on a few CBs that would be perfect fits. Would informing my CBs of my offer run the risk of an immediate rejection as opposed to being put on a waitlist? I would rather withdraw my offer and be on a waitlist at a CB than deal with an immediate rejection from the CBs. I would love to speed the process and make myself look desirable, but I also don't want to hurt my chances with the CBs by informing them of an offer I may not even accept at all. Any thoughts?


+1. Very similar situation. Offer from a smaller firm. Waiting to hear back from my top choice and a few other firms. Any advice is appreciated.

User avatar
OneMoreLawHopeful
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:21 pm

Re: Following-up with offer(s) in hand

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it ever a bad idea to inform a firm of an offer? Right now I have an offer with a small firm that doesn't fit my interests, and I'm waiting on a few CBs that would be perfect fits. Would informing my CBs of my offer run the risk of an immediate rejection as opposed to being put on a waitlist? I would rather withdraw my offer and be on a waitlist at a CB than deal with an immediate rejection from the CBs. I would love to speed the process and make myself look desirable, but I also don't want to hurt my chances with the CBs by informing them of an offer I may not even accept at all. Any thoughts?


+1. Very similar situation. Offer from a smaller firm. Waiting to hear back from my top choice and a few other firms. Any advice is appreciated.


This is going to be very hard to answer. The problem is that you're saying the small firm doesn't fit your interests, and I don't know why, but it's conceivable that the small firm is so different from the post-CB firms you are waiting on that it might make them question your commitment to their area of law.

So, if you interviewed with a whole bunch of biglaw corporate groups, and then got an offer from a small criminal defense firm, telling the biglaw corporate groups about the offer might cause them to think "Shoot, is this some kind of 'true believer' who's just going to cash out on us in a few years?"

Obviously, this is extreme. You could have an offer at some kind of well-known boutique that the biglaw firms feel competitive with. In that instance it may very well help to share the offer as it will make them think you are "in demand."

Without sharing a ton of info, only you can answer this question. It might be better to speak abstractly, and just say "Hey, you guys are my first choice, but it's a tough economy and I'm up against a NALP deadline if I don't hear back soon..." but then you may be asked to name the firm. It's tough, but there can definitely be a downside.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.