Slightly odd interview(?) coming up

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Slightly odd interview(?) coming up

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:16 am

OK so I am currently a judicial clerk in an "out of the way" circuit. I graduated in may from a T25 law school. Last year about this time, I saw an add on symplicity for a firm that looked really interesting to me because of particular work I had done before law school. They were looking for someone to start immediately, which I could not, but I sent off my packet anyway and predictably heard nothing.

So Monday I get an email from them that says if you are in our city, we would like to meet with you. This city is about 8 hours from where I am clerking. I took this as code for, hey we want to interview you but we're not paying for the trip. That's cool, I'm still desperately seeking permanent employment so I'm not gonna be too demanding. So I say, why yes I was planning a trip to your city, but I haven't picked a date yet; let me know a monday or friday in the next couple months that would be good for the firm.

What I get back is a message that says can you have lunch with "John Doe" on x date. I agreed, which means I've committed myself to driving 16 hours to have lunch. Of course I am scrambling to mass-mail every other firm in their city, but I hadn't focused there previously so prospects seem dim. Has anybody had an experience like this? One former classmate says they are doing it this way instead of an interview because they've already decided to offer me, but that seems kind of pipe-dreamish.

Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Re: Slightly odd interview(?) coming up

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:27 am

I just don't see you driving 16 hours for lunch expense-free for the firm (sans your meal) equating to them already having decided to give you an offer.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:28 am

They remembered you after almost a year and specifically asked you to interview. I'd say that is a great sign. I wouldn't say they've already decided to hire you, but it sounds like they are more interested in you than the average law student.

Is the person you're meeting a partner? I doubt he (or she) would arrange a lunch meeting for giggles.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:32 am

OP here -- Other anon, I think you're read of that is pretty accurate -- wasn't sure why classmate thought that, but I included it in case someone had had that experience.
And kalvano's point that it's a great sign they remembered me makes sense, and yes the meeting is with a partner.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:35 am

Then I wouldn't say you've got the job in hand already, but I'd say they are leaning more towards hiring you than not hiring you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:46 am

Thanks :) It makes me feel better to hear that from an unbiased observer lol. I knew I had to go for it, but I was expecting people here to tell me I was crazy for driving so far for lunch lol

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:34 pm

That is ridiculous.

If anything it means they are FURTHER from an offer, as they aren't committing to spending all that time with you. Its very expensive to do a full interview.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:48 pm

If they're meeting with you in person, it's a big deal. Treat the lunch as an interview. Best case, it isn't an interview and your professionalism won't have had any effect because you'll get an offer. Worst case, it is an interview and you'll be glad you were professional to the point where you could secure an offer.

Return to “Legal Employment”