Madrid BigLaw

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Madrid BigLaw

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:09 am

Does anyone have any insight into getting entry-level biglaw in Madrid, Spain?

dissonance1848

Re: Madrid BigLaw

Postby dissonance1848 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:26 am

Nice flame. Carry on.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:33 am

Garrigues is the biggest Spanish firm. But they pay like $40k if you're lucky. Some big firms have offices there but I can't imagine they're busy.

redsox

Postby redsox » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:40 am

How much legal work would Catalan independence generate?

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:54 am

DPW was doing resume collect for madrid, but that does not mean that it is not a unicorn.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:55 am

redsox wrote:How much legal work would Catalan independence generate?

That is not a fair statement. Madrid is a pretty important financial hub...

redsox

Postby redsox » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:53 pm

Pokemon wrote:That is not a fair statement. Madrid is a pretty important financial hub...

No, serious question. Catalonia accounts for like a quarter of Spain's GDP...I imagine if Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California seceded from the United States, it would generate a lot of legal work.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:58 pm

Madrid being a financial hub doesn't mean dick. Spain is in the financial shitter (have you seen their unemployment rate?) and big law posts like Davis Polk are probably not looking to increase their overhead there in the near future.

The only top local firm I know of is Urea Menendez, but I doubt they'd consider hiring anyone who isn't locally qualified and without a law degree from Spain. I'm no expert on this, but if you're really committed to working there, you should get an LLM in Spain. But the financial success you'll encounter from that is not probable at all.

3L Student

Postby 3L Student » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:52 pm

I'm in London, and I recently had a headhunter contact me about Linklaters hiring junior laterals for their Madrid office. So there must be something going on there. But seems strange given their crappy economy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:29 pm

3L Student wrote:I'm in London, and I recently had a headhunter contact me about Linklaters hiring junior laterals for their Madrid office. So there must be something going on there. But seems strange given their crappy economy.

Would you mind sharing some information about yourself? Are you US or UK qualified? Do you speak Spanish and/or any other foreign languages? Any particular reasons why you think they might have contacted you? Thanks!

3L Student

Postby 3L Student » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
3L Student wrote:I'm in London, and I recently had a headhunter contact me about Linklaters hiring junior laterals for their Madrid office. So there must be something going on there. But seems strange given their crappy economy.

Would you mind sharing some information about yourself? Are you US or UK qualified? Do you speak Spanish and/or any other foreign languages? Any particular reasons why you think they might have contacted you? Thanks!

New York qualified and I have lived in a Spanish speaking country for several years. I'm guessing that the headhunter liked the language thing. They were looking for a native English speaker. But just because a headhunter contacts you, it doesn't mean that the firm wants you. I wasn't interested, so I never followed up.

Return to “Legal Employment”