Why Dallas?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Why Dallas?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:42 pm

What are some good things to say to the Why Dallas question for someone who has zero ties to the area (or Texas in general)?

haus

Re: Why Dallas?

Postby haus » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are some good things to say to the Why Dallas question for someone who has zero ties to the area (or Texas in general)?

Tell them that you hate science, and that you are excited to live somewhere where they will fight to ensure that kids will not learn about evolution.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:41 pm

Sports are always a good thing to play up as is energy work.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:42 pm

haus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What are some good things to say to the Why Dallas question for someone who has zero ties to the area (or Texas in general)?

Tell them that you hate science, and that you are excited to live somewhere where they will fight to ensure that kids will not learn about evolution.

Texas really isn't that backwater, especially in Dallas/Austin/Houston, and science & technology is a huge part of their economy. But Lord, do they have some stone doofuses on their textbook review committees. And because Texas is such a huge textbook market (along with California), the publishers kowtow to them and other states end up suffering for it.

To the OP, what area are you hoping to get into? If you're interested in energy law or anything in the petroleum industry in particular, that would be a good reason for going to Texas without ties.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sports are always a good thing to play up as is energy work.

I would go with CoL/QoL before sports.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:01 pm

Dallas isn't terrible. I would say something about the quality of life combined with the cultural and entertainment offerings.

What are you into? Sports, museums, music? I can tell you some specific things if you give me a better idea what you dig.

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:16 pm

Caliber/sophistication of work and quality of clients along with low COL and great quality of life.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:52 pm

kalvano wrote:Dallas isn't terrible. I would say something about the quality of life combined with the cultural and entertainment offerings.

What are you into? Sports, museums, music? I can tell you some specific things if you give me a better idea what you dig.

OP: More sports and music than museums.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:02 pm

Then I'd say the quality of work that Dallas offers combined with the opportunities that Dallas offers for music (there are at least four major venues for concerts, plus countless small venues) as well as being a sports fan (all four big ones here). I'd avoid saying "cost of living" as native Dallas people can be a little sensitive to the influx of people loking for cheaper COL. I'd say instead that you're looking forward to the opportunities a city like Dallas offers as well an increased quality of life as opposed to other major cities. That's a weird sort of code for "cheaper" that goes over better here.

Also, if you're not a fan of winter, point out you're looking forward to a mild (milder? Not sure where you're from) winter. That's something Dallas loves to trumpet to overcome the awful summers.

Also, restaurants. Dallas has lots, and some fantastic ones. Can't hurt to mention that if it comes up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:31 pm

Thanks again for the help everyone. I think I was able to put together a pretty good answer to the question, and the interview went very well.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:17 pm

Good. Best of luck.

Return to “Legal Employment”