Whats the next step in the 2L job hunt? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Whats the next step in the 2L job hunt?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:13 pm

Hi all,

Top third at a top 25 (also top regional school in the area), secondary journal. OCI is still running at my school, and I've got a few leads, but so far I haven't been able to nail down anything for the summer. Worked at a small/mid firm last summer and would like to return, but they haven't gotten around to making decisions about next summer yet (for any of the 1L SAs, not just me). I've sent out about 180 resumes to my local market and a nearby major market, but so far only mild interest.

What is the best thing to do next? Obviously I'm going to keep pursuing my leads so far, but otherwise, what is the best route for securing 2L employment? Should i start mass mailing to markets I have no ties to, following up on mail outs I didn't get a response from, start mailing to small firms, or should I try and nail down a judicial internship (rumor is that the local federal district judge gives internships away like candy to students from my school)? Something else?

Thanks for the help.

Anonymous User

Re: Whats the next step in the 2L job hunt?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:18 pm

Bumping this because I am in a similar boat at what I suspect is the same school

FWIW, I have started hitting up government positions but am also curious if federal judges are a good idea for the summer if nothing else comes through

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:26 pm

Im also interested in seeing if interning with federal judge is worth it? Can you nail down a federal clerkship like this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:27 pm

Nothing helpful, but I'm in a somewhat similar position, except my OCI is well done with. =/ I've just been mass mailing as much as possible and continuing to network.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:37 pm

Fairly similar situation as well. OCI is done at my school.

I've just been mass-mailing like crazy.

I've also started to set up lunches with partners from firms I am interested in working for.

Some people say that Career Services can help set up lunches, but I've just been doing it on my own.

In addition, I don't know what market everyone is in, but at least for my market, the mid-size firms hire later in the cycle because they haven't assessed their needs yet. Again, this is probably market-dependent.

I understand that it's tough and frustrating. Some small part in all of us just wants to give up because we're so tired of getting rejection emails/letters. But we cannot give up. We have to remain irrationally confident, and we must refuse to let adversity detract us.

For some small inspiration, just check out this .jpg:

http://www.curiositiesbydickens.com/wp- ... ive-up.jpg

I wish everyone the best of luck with their job-search.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Fairly similar situation as well. OCI is done at my school.

I've also started to set up lunches with partners from firms I am interested in working for.

Some people say that Career Services can help set up lunches, but I've just been doing it on my own.

In addition, I don't know what market everyone is in, but at least for my market, the mid-size firms hire later in the cycle because they haven't assessed their needs yet. Again, this is probably market-dependent.

I understand that it's tough and frustrating. Some small part in all of us just wants to give up because we're so tired of getting rejection emails/letters. But we cannot give up. We have to remain irrationally confident, and we must refuse to let adversity detract us.

Love the jpg. From the url, I was expecting "never give up, never surrender," but this was better.

I'm not giving up, but you're right - this is wicked frustrating. I'm the 9:27pm poster. As I mentioned, I've been mass mailing, but how have you been identifying partners to have lunch with? I don't know how to find out which firms still have room in their summer classes to then set up lunches with. I have a pretty wide network here, but it doesn't seem to have helped me. I'm reaching out more and more and continuing to expand my network by still attending networking events in the legal community.

Midsized in my main market (Boston) and other markets I'm targeting hire now for some, later for others. I've received a decent number of responses telling me they hire in winter or spring, though others are filled or filling now.

Tonight's a low point of frustration (for no real reason), but I'm not giving up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Fairly similar situation as well. OCI is done at my school.

Love the jpg. From the url, I was expecting "never give up, never surrender," but this was better.

I'm not giving up, but you're right - this is wicked frustrating. I'm the 9:27pm poster. As I mentioned, I've been mass mailing, but how have you been identifying partners to have lunch with? I don't know how to find out which firms still have room in their summer classes to then set up lunches with. I have a pretty wide network here, but it doesn't seem to have helped me. I'm reaching out more and more and continuing to expand my network by still attending networking events in the legal community.

Midsized in my main market (Boston) and other markets I'm targeting hire now for some, later for others. I've received a decent number of responses telling me they hire in winter or spring, though others are filled or filling now.

Tonight's a low point of frustration (for no real reason), but I'm not giving up.
To be honest, I've just looked up who the hiring partner is, and asked if they are interested in grabbing lunch or coffee. It helps if they are alumni, or I can talk about a mutual connection.

But, I've noticed that for every 10 partners I ask, about 2 say yes. But, we just have to keep plugging along.

And I completely understand your frustration. There are some days where I'm so frustrated that I cannot focus on journal stuff, or class readings at all. I barely want to be around my own friends. And other days where I'm a lot more hopeful because it is true that a fair amount of mid-size firms will hire later in the cycle.

But, my goal is to have a connection with those firms before they ever post job openings on Symplicity. Making a good impression on the partner may lead to them reaching out to you about the position. And, it's much more likely that you can get an interview when the partner forwards your applications to the recruiting committee, than simply applying online. Just my two cents.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Im also interested in seeing if interning with federal judge is worth it? Can you nail down a federal clerkship like this?
This varies hugely by judge. Some judges have a policy of *not* hiring their interns, some prefer to hire their interns; I think most are ecumenical (they'll consider you along with everyone else). Even if a judge isn't interested in hiring you, having them be willing to put in a good word for you with another judge can be extremely helpful, but keep in mind that 1) not every internship actually provides significant contact with the judge - often interns work directly with the clerks and don't spend that much time with the judge; and 2) given the current hiring patterns for federal clerkships, you'll be sending out applications before you'd even started the internship. The last plan date released applications at the end of June, but more and more judges are hiring off-plan, and the general wisdom is that people should send applications in the spring of 2L, right after getting their 2L fall semester grades. So you wouldn't have had the chance to make an impression before application season.

I think interning for a federal judge is good experience, but I don't think it's necessary for getting a clerkship, and I don't think you can rely on it giving you an edge in clerkship hiring. I wouldn't do it over something that's more likely to turn into a permanent job or more geared toward what you ultimately want to do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:23 am

3L here who struck out at OCI last year and secured a biglaw offer in late October in a secondary market with no ties. My advice: keep mass mailing like crazy. Mail every firm in any market you could feasibly see yourself living. By this point, I was sending my emails directly to the hiring partner. Follow up with firms after about a week.

And if you have any way to travel to the market, tell the firm you will be in the city on xxx dates and would love to stop in for an interview. I got about four callbacks that way where I was able to skip the screener... It was expensive and a shit ton of traveling, but it's how I ended up getting my offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:41 pm

I love when the response to my follow up email is that I applied too late and the class is filled. Considering my original email was over a month ago, I'm thinking I was timely and they just didn't notice my application. I wouldn't mind so much if the response to my follow up didn't make it sound like that was my initial application and tell me harshly that I should have applied sooner.

Keep on keeping on, all...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”