K&L Gates: Opinions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

K&L Gates: Opinions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:07 am

There is so little information about this firm on TLS, outside a few threads that are years old.

How is this firm? I am looking for hours, culture, financial health (yeah I know, no debt). Anything that you would like to share.

mr.hands
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: K&L Gates: Opinions

Postby mr.hands » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:There is so little information about this firm on TLS, outside a few threads that are years old.

How is this firm? I am looking for hours, culture, financial health (yeah I know, no debt). Anything that you would like to share.


which office?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: K&L Gates: Opinions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:15 am

mr.hands wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:There is so little information about this firm on TLS, outside a few threads that are years old.

How is this firm? I am looking for hours, culture, financial health (yeah I know, no debt). Anything that you would like to share.


which office?

The financial health is good enough to lure the top corporate practice group in Delaware in its entirety

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: K&L Gates: Opinions

Postby Old Gregg » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mr.hands wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:There is so little information about this firm on TLS, outside a few threads that are years old.

How is this firm? I am looking for hours, culture, financial health (yeah I know, no debt). Anything that you would like to share.


which office?

The financial health is good enough to lure the top corporate practice group in Delaware in its entirety


Yeah that doesn't mean much. Dewey has acquired many groups and rainmakers before it imploded. Not saying k&l is on the same path, but the above proves nothing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: K&L Gates: Opinions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:04 pm

Agreed. Hiring 5 attorneys in Wilmington isn't much.

Revenues were flat but it's still a billion dollar business.

Any other thoughts?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: K&L Gates: Opinions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Agreed. Hiring 5 attorneys in Wilmington isn't much.

Revenues were flat but it's still a billion dollar business.

Any other thoughts?


2014 SA class will likely be a good % larger than past classes. Not enough jr. associates around. Meeting the 1950 billable goal is very dependent on the office and the practice group. The culture of each office differs, so there isnt much to say about that. Compensation has always been a knock, though each office does start out at "market." Financially, the firm is in a solid place.

What office are you considering?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: K&L Gates: Opinions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:43 pm

Why are there not enough juniors around would you think?

If I mentioned the office I would out myself.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: K&L Gates: Opinions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Why are there not enough juniors around would you think?

If I mentioned the office I would out myself.


Because they have been ultra conservative with new assoc hiring since 2009.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: K&L Gates: Opinions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:05 pm

Understandable. Hope the increase in hiring doesn't come back to haunt.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: K&L Gates: Opinions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:50 pm

I don't know about the other offices, but they are still delay starting new associates in their Seattle office. The SA class of 2013 is set to start the January after they graduate.

Also, is the 1950 billing requirement firm-wide?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: K&L Gates: Opinions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:13 pm

I think the 1950 to hit bonus is firm wide. I think a lot of people are over/under.

Anything to make of the late start date? Seem to be doing it at all offices.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: K&L Gates: Opinions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:I think the 1950 to hit bonus is firm wide. I think a lot of people are over/under.

Anything to make of the late start date? Seem to be doing it at all offices.

The fact that they wouldn't budge on the start date at all (despite a unique timing circumstance) is the reason I turned their offer down. I think they should have fixed this before dramatically increasing class sizes (or done it in tandem at the very least). However, nothing to indicate that their attitude towards hiring has changed all that much (that they're not being conservative/smart in their SA offers), so that wouldn't tip me off about the firm's financial health.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: K&L Gates: Opinions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:39 am

Thanks for the info. That's helpful.

Heard through the grapevine that some offices are having larger class sizes due to not many returning from this past summer, for whatever reason.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: K&L Gates: Opinions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:I don't know about the other offices, but they are still delay starting new associates in their Seattle office. The SA class of 2013 is set to start the January after they graduate.


2014 SA class also being delayed to January

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: K&L Gates: Opinions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I don't know about the other offices, but they are still delay starting new associates in their Seattle office. The SA class of 2013 is set to start the January after they graduate.


2014 SA class also being delayed to January


The firm doesnt call it a "deferred" or "delayed" start - just the normal start date. And unfortunately they have no plans to ever move it back to the fall. However, many offices have started some of the new associates already based on need. If you end up in the right office and slotted in the right practice area, you might get lucky.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: K&L Gates: Opinions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I don't know about the other offices, but they are still delay starting new associates in their Seattle office. The SA class of 2013 is set to start the January after they graduate.


2014 SA class also being delayed to January


The firm doesnt call it a "deferred" or "delayed" start - just the normal start date. And unfortunately they have no plans to ever move it back to the fall. However, many offices have started some of the new associates already based on need. If you end up in the right office and slotted in the right practice area, you might get lucky.


This is correct—I have a friend in one of their East Coast offices who started in mid-September.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: K&L Gates: Opinions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:56 pm

Yeah it is just a normal course of business for them whether good/bad.

I have also heard of others who started before January depending upon need. Seems to be an infrequent occurrence.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.